Brightness settings

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Am I wrong in that even with "Automatic Brightness" turned on it takes into account the value in the "Level" selection?

I ask based on this scenario: I was outdoors and was having trouble reading the screen. The level was set to low with automatic brightness turned on. I turned the automatic brightness to off, set the brightness to high and then turned the automatic brightness back on but the screen was still readable in the same light as if I had never turned the brightness to high. If it was truly automatic, I would have expected it to have gone back to the same brightness as when automatic brightness was turned on and set to low.

If that's the case, from a UI perspective, disabling and enabling the high/medium/low setting with the automatic brightness turned on, yet still respecting the high/medium/low setting seems off. If I can't change it, it shouldn't have an effect.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Am I wrong in that even with "Automatic Brightness" turned on it takes into account the value in the "Level" selection?

I ask based on this scenario: I was outdoors and was having trouble reading the screen. The level was set to low with automatic brightness turned on. I turned the automatic brightness to off, set the brightness to high and then turned the automatic brightness back on but the screen was still readable in the same light as if I had never turned the brightness to high. If it was truly automatic, I would have expected it to have gone back to the same brightness as when automatic brightness was turned on and set to low.

If that's the case, from a UI perspective, disabling and enabling the high/medium/low setting with the automatic brightness turned on, yet still respecting the high/medium/low setting seems off. If I can't change it, it shouldn't have an effect.

I used to have an HTC 8s. I had the same observations with yours. It seems that (at least for HTC devices) that the brightness level set (the one that is grayed out once "automatic" is enabled) serves as a limiting factor to the maximum brightness the phone will adjust to. So, if you initially set it to "low", even if you shine a flash light at the sensor it will never display full brightness.

This is not the case in Lumia phones (at least not in the L1020).

On a side note, does your HTC M8 automatically dim your screen? My HTC 8s didn't - it will only automatically brighten up my screen, but it never automatically dimmed it. It just stayed bright, until I lock my phone and turn it on again.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I used to have an HTC 8s. I had the same observations with yours. It seems that (at least for HTC devices) that the brightness level set (the one that is grayed out once "automatic" is enabled) serves as a limiting factor to the maximum brightness the phone will adjust to. So, if you initially set it to "low", even if you shine a flash light at the sensor it will never display full brightness.

So it isn't my imagination. I'm honestly glad I discovered this because it makes a huge difference in readability on the screen. Before I figured this out I was thinking it'll stink to have to set it to medium or high all the time.

On a side note, does your HTC M8 automatically dim your screen? My HTC 8s didn't - it will only automatically brighten up my screen, but it never automatically dimmed it. It just stayed bright, until I lock my phone and turn it on again.

I hadn't noticed but after testing it, I think you're right. Turning it on with the phone in a darker area behind my monitor and moving it to the light area it gets brighter. Moving it back behind the monitor, it does not get dimmer.

VinTheButcher

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Was looking for this thread. My HTC One's 'AUTOMATIC' brightness setting does nothing.

Don't know if my HTC 8X did it either. My Lumia 925's do it like a champ, really miss that Lumia SUN setting for viewing outside.

HTC needs to update their display settings.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Was looking for this thread. My HTC One's 'AUTOMATIC' brightness setting does nothing.

Don't know if my HTC 8X did it either. My Lumia 925's do it like a champ, really miss that Lumia SUN setting for viewing outside.

HTC needs to update their display settings.

My HTC One M8 works fine if I set the brightness to automatic. It was set that way by default, out of the box. I changed it to medium brightness because I generally do not need the screen to automatically adjust. Did you try a soft reset after making sure that you have set it for automatic brightness?

VinTheButcher

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
My HTC One M8 works fine if I set the brightness to automatic. It was set that way by default, out of the box. I changed it to medium brightness because I generally do not need the screen to automatically adjust. Did you try a soft reset after making sure that you have set it for automatic brightness?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven