Have your One M8 overheats for no reason and drained the battery?

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine has happened a few times, once before latest update and one again last night for no apparent reason. The phone become really hot suddenly and I noticed the battery level dropped really fast. Both times, I turned the phone off and on again to stop it. I am wondering what app or setting is causing this. I also checked to make sure all my apps are closed especially location detection ones.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You pretty much got the idea, it's an app in the background that locked up and your phone is trying to fix it. Do you recall which app you installed the first time it happened? Might be that one.

Either way, a soft reset, power button + volume down, fixes it, until it comes back.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
3 things that helped me (not sure which one but I did all 3 at the same time desperate to find a solution).
1. Unpinned Cortona. (this helped on my icon with DP at one point)
2. Turned off WIFI and WIFI sense. I only turn on WIFI when I really need it then I turn if off again.
3. The main thing that may have helped is only charging with the phone charger that came with the phone. I use to mix chargers that I had from my old icon and 928, and verizon generic wall and car chargers. One time my phone overheated and drained from 40 percent to beyond the dead while idle for an hour or two and I used the HTC charger ever since and I have never again had that issue.
I also download WP Uptime to keep track of my reboots since it would happen quite often when I was away.

I am not saying any of these are facts just some things to try or test out.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It's a hard problem to pin down. I had this with my 920 and never solved it, restored my backup to the M8 and it's not happened once with nearly all the same apps. So reboot is the medicine but not the cure, good luck!

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Every once in a while my Icon does this. I don't think it is caused by apps because they are all closed and the battery sense doesn't show any app draining the battery. Rather, I think it's something to do with the data connection. Every time it happens I turn the data off and it immediately starts to cool down and the battery levels stops dropping. I wait a little to turn the data back on and all is good.

JLP

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My phone literally just started doing this today. It locked up a couple times and then the "soft reset" itself wouldn't complete...it would lock/blank screen even during the reboot part after I initiated the soft reset.

I uninstalled a couple apps which were updated recently to see if that would help, but nothing. So I suspect something is running in the background and draining the battery, but there is nothing to tell me what that background task is. I don't think it's wifi, wifi sense, or any of those features. I've had those on for several weeks with no issue.

I would try a hard reset, but of course I can't backup my phone because it keeps failing, which seems to be a global problem with 8.1. Not really interested in doing a hard reset, unless I move all my apps and music to my SD card so I don't have to redownload everything.

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
yeah mine just started with this over the weekend- I uninstalled some new apps... still doing it... turned of wifi sense....still doing it ... multiple soft resets along the way.... unpinned Cortona ...still doing it... soft reset, soft reset..... still doing it... turned Cortona off with prompted reboot... has not done it sense...... hmmmm (overheat sense)

Last edited:

567sumit567

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Even u move apps to sd card and then reset ur mobile, and when u insert d sd card again.....the apps will not work. It shows that' this sd card contains app from other phone'. It happened with me.

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
update: did a hard reset last night - started heating and draining again today. Went into Cortana and shut it off again, with the prompted restart and it stopped...... becoming a real pain in the rear! Is it just DP doing this???

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
My M8 never even gets warm. I'm not running the developer preview. How long have you had the phone? Is exchanging it an option? It may be defective.

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
got it when they first came out ... Oct? Yeah, its funny cause this issue just started last week. I will check on the exchange.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I am not on DP and still gets it randomly. There are absolutely no pattern on what caused it. A firmware bug may be the reason.

Mine is on Verizon, how about you guys?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos