I am surprised the HTC fans aren't talking about this and I am(LOL) but I figured I'd mention it.

I finally talked my friend off of Android as he loves using my 1520 a lot. He loves his HTC One M7 and was likely going to get the M8 android version but I managed to persuade him to the windows phone side. I am trying to find him a good deal on the Lumia 930 so he can get the best but I was actually surprised to discover on WMPU that HTC is actually doing 20 percent off on their phones, including the M8 windows

Buy Now HTC One (M8) for Windows | HTC United States
    HTCHOLIDAY20 is the coupon code.

I'm going to be spending the day surging around for 930 deals and see if I can get it to him by Monday or Tuesday(his birthday is Tuesday) as I am buying it for a gift. But if not, I'll be buying him his M8 since he only uses Unlocked phones and surprisingly a fan of HTC as well.

But just a heads up for those of you M8 fans who like unlocked products!

Shocked that WC didn't report it.....Unless I missed it, in which case...Ignore that lol
    Last edited by Superboy Micah; 12-24-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    ajb1965 likes this.
    12-24-2014 10:15 AM
    Did you send a tip to Windows Central about this?
    12-24-2014 10:26 AM
    Did you send a tip to Windows Central about this?
    I was about to say idk how or where to tip, but coincidentally there is a "Tip us on news" button beside my post box haha
    12-24-2014 10:35 AM
    We'll get something up on it, but let's be clear: this is not 'unlocked' in the sense most people understand the term. I think you mean to say contract-free.

In other words, these phones are still, in theory, locked to the carrier. Instead of a subsidized cost and contract renewal, you are just buying it a full price. The carriers can SIM unlock them if they want, but even then, a Verizon One M8 won't be very good on other GSM carriers (or rather, LTE availability will be mixed).

The 20% thing is pretty decent, sure, but I am not sure how many still want to drop $520 on a new phone ;)
    12-24-2014 12:40 PM
    We'll get something up on it, but let's be clear: this is not 'unlocked' in the sense most people understand the term. I think you mean to say contract-free.

In other words, these phones are still, in theory, locked to the carrier. Instead of a subsidized cost and contract renewal, you are just buying it a full price. The carriers can SIM unlock them if they want, but even then, a Verizon One M8 won't be very good on other GSM carriers (or rather, LTE availability will be mixed).

The 20% thing is pretty decent, sure, but I am not sure how many still want to drop $520 on a new phone ;)
    Ah thanks for clarifying it Daniel!
    12-24-2014 01:49 PM
    Exactly. I like HTC phones but I can't stand their lack of support and I'd never spend $500 on a cell phone. The most I've ever spent was $200 for my Lumia 925.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    12-24-2014 01:50 PM
    Exactly. I like HTC phones but I can't stand their lack of support and I'd never spend $500 on a cell phone. The most I've ever spent was $200 for my Lumia 925.
    Well I am going to go outside my norm and give HTC credit. They have been awful the last four years but they at least are doing a little better than they did before. I still wouldn't buy one or recommend one over a Lumia as Lumia has definitely proven themselves and I have reservations about how HTC will handle a large scale update. But they are doing...less awful than they used to.
    12-24-2014 02:12 PM
    At least one that does not have a bitten Apple on it. LOL
    12-24-2014 03:03 PM

Verizon doesn't sim lock devices.
    12-24-2014 06:45 PM
    Verizon doesn't sim lock devices.

Isn't Verizon cdma, and thus doesn't have SIM cards? What would it matter if the device is "unlocked" without the ability to use a SIM?
    Last edited by link68759; 12-25-2014 at 01:04 AM.
    12-25-2014 12:12 AM
    Isn't Verizon cdma, and thus doesn't have SIM cards? What would it matter if the device is "unlocked" without the ability to use a SIM?
    Verizon uses SIM cards.
    12-25-2014 01:43 AM
    You could have easily fact checked that one so as to not sound silly LOL.
    12-25-2014 05:21 PM
    Uh oh the m8 fans turning on each other now? Jk jk :P

My cousin got an m8 windows phone today and he loves it. We had a camera battle earlier haha
    ajb1965 likes this.
    12-25-2014 05:32 PM
    Verizon is cdma, and back in my day cdma didn't have sim cards. I have a Verizon phone from not that long ago, I had to specifically get the "world phone" version so that I COULD put a sim in it, since that was not the norm. I did check enough to know that SIMs appear to be common now, but I'm still confused- when did this happen, and why? You could be answering those for me instead of making a "silly" post at my expense :P
    12-25-2014 05:38 PM
    Verizon is cdma, and back in my day cdma didn't have sim cards. I have a Verizon phone from not that long ago, I had to specifically get the "world phone" version so that I COULD put a sim in it, since that was not the norm. I did check enough to know that SIMs appear to be common now, but I'm still confused- when did this happen, and why? You could be answering those for me instead of making a "silly" post at my expense :P
    Back in your day with CDMA, LTE didn't exist. GSM tecnologies use sims.

Therefore Verizon took advantage of phone provisioning via Sim cards for LTE devices.
    12-25-2014 09:07 PM
    This deal is tempting, the HTC One is such a handsome piece of hardware and the camera speed with the Snapdragon 801 is excellent.
    12-26-2014 12:31 AM