Yep, picked up the WP Flagship M8, and here is why....

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Come tomorrow, I too will be an HTC M8 WP owner! And Im quite excited about it too! I jumped on the WP train with a KIN(remember those? Haha) and of course, once it was deemed obsolete, I was anxious to check out Windows Phone 7 when my contract was up. I followed so much news and was front and center at ms launch events with 7.5. I really wanted a Titan but the Focus S was such a sexy device, I could resist! So I got the Sammy and was amazingly happy until windows 8 launched and I moved on to Nokia. Got the 920 in red and loved it, yet since then, with a few drops here and there, I've gotten 2 "free" upgrades to a 1020 and a 1520 which I currently own.

Overall, I've been happy with Nokia but none of their phones have matched the feeling I got with the focus s. My 1520 has been a treat, and im sure my wife will take it over, but it wasn't a phone I picked out nor really wanted, which might be why i was still so keen on upgrading when my contract was up. I saw the HTC m8 amd it just feels so luxurious! It looks gorgeous, and it has that perfect feeling in my hand! I only had a few moments with it at the att store so tomorrow, it will still feel quite new to me.

Like you, I desire more choice, and more big names making WP hardware, so Im quite proud to know im going be contributing to that! While I wish MS success in their hardware division, I think its time to move away from Lumia and give another oem a shot. This is my first HTC and I plan to keep it stock the whole way through. The preview for developers has turned me into an obsessed "update" freak and some of the updates haven't been tailored right for the hardware anyways, so id rather wait it out with a phone that works flawlessly than take more risks and become disgruntled if one takes too long.

Funny, one of the things I love most about it? Having Windows Phone written on the back haha. Add a free dot view case, Xbox branded?. Love it!!can't wait, nothing beats the excitement of getting a new phone!!!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Come tomorrow, I too will be an HTC M8 WP owner! And Im quite excited about it too! I jumped on the WP train with a KIN(remember those? Haha) and of course, once it was deemed obsolete, I was anxious to check out Windows Phone 7 when my contract was up. I followed so much news and was front and center at ms launch events with 7.5. I really wanted a Titan but the Focus S was such a sexy device, I could resist! So I got the Sammy and was amazingly happy until windows 8 launched and I moved on to Nokia. Got the 920 in red and loved it, yet since then, with a few drops here and there, I've gotten 2 "free" upgrades to a 1020 and a 1520 which I currently own.

Overall, I've been happy with Nokia but none of their phones have matched the feeling I got with the focus s. My 1520 has been a treat, and im sure my wife will take it over, but it wasn't a phone I picked out nor really wanted, which might be why i was still so keen on upgrading when my contract was up. I saw the HTC m8 amd it just feels so luxurious! It looks gorgeous, and it has that perfect feeling in my hand! I only had a few moments with it at the att store so tomorrow, it will still feel quite new to me.

Like you, I desire more choice, and more big names making WP hardware, so Im quite proud to know im going be contributing to that! While I wish MS success in their hardware division, I think its time to move away from Lumia and give another oem a shot. This is my first HTC and I plan to keep it stock the whole way through. The preview for developers has turned me into an obsessed "update" freak and some of the updates haven't been tailored right for the hardware anyways, so id rather wait it out with a phone that works flawlessly than take more risks and become disgruntled if one takes too long.

Funny, one of the things I love most about it? Having Windows Phone written on the back haha. Add a free dot view case, Xbox branded?. Love it!!can't wait, nothing beats the excitement of getting a new phone!!!

We do love our shiney toys.....

I have started to wonder how much a KIN would cost if you could find one for sale. Hmmmmm....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok Snow, it's been a week now; how do you like the M8?

3 little quirks:

1) It takes FOREVER for a call to connect. Honest, I do not get it. I select my contact or I type in the number, hit "call", and can almost count to 10 before it starts to ring. Weirdness....

2) Ringtones and text message alerts are really quiet. Can barely hear them. For as good as the audio is, I can not get those two to ring thru better. I have missed a dozen calls and find out I have 6 texts waiting on me. Weirdness part 2....

3) I get random screen shots all the time. Look through my camera roll, and I have picture after picture of my home screen. Not sure if it is because of my Otterbox or if I just am hitting buttons without knowing. That one is just plain strange.....

Other than that, I am loving this thing. I love the screen, I love the audio, I dig the design, I like camera results (yep... I said it: I LIKE THE CAMERA ALL YOU HATERS!!!), it has not had any lag or "ghosting", as one would expect it is smooth as an iced over lake.

It is just different enough that you know it is not a Nokia, and I mean that in a good way. It is a hair different feel but it is still the WP experience I want.

I absolutely recommend this bad boy. (Or bad girl, lest I be insensitive.) It carries the banner of Flagship well. It has no glaring weak points and a TON of strong points.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
2) Ringtones and text message alerts are really quiet. Can barely hear them. For as good as the audio is, I can not get those two to ring thru better. I have missed a dozen calls and find out I have 6 texts waiting on me. Weirdness part 2....
Have you tried making your own ringtones and picking something really loud? If so, are those still quiet sounding as well, or is it just the preinstalled ringtones that are quiet?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried making your own ringtones and picking something really loud? If so, are those still quiet sounding as well, or is it just the preinstalled ringtones that are quiet?

No, I only have used the installed ones. I will download some and give that a shot.

That is why you are the bomb around here, Laura. You are always thinking....

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, I only have used the installed ones. I will download some and give that a shot.

That is why you are the bomb around here, Laura. You are always thinking....

The preinstalled ringtones on my Lumia 920 were also quiet. I'm using a train whistle sound as my phone call ringtone. It's loud, and I always hear it. I like Audacity for creating ringtones from songs I have. I learned about Audacity from members of CrackBerry when I originally wanted to make my own ringtones for BlackBerry devices.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I get random screen shots all the time. Look through my camera roll, and I have picture after picture of my home screen. Not sure if it is because of my Otterbox or if I just am hitting buttons without knowing. That one is just plain strange.....
This happens to me. It's because of how I'm holding my phone when I tap the power button on top. Being right-handed my forefinger is on the top power button and my thumb seems to naturally rest aside the volume +up button. I tap the power button and *click* ---- ... oops.... there goes another screenshot lol. :grin:

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
3 little quirks:

1) It takes FOREVER for a call to connect. Honest, I do not get it. I select my contact or I type in the number, hit "call", and can almost count to 10 before it starts to ring. Weirdness....

3) I get random screen shots all the time. Look through my camera roll, and I have picture after picture of my home screen. Not sure if it is because of my Otterbox or if I just am hitting buttons without knowing. That one is just plain strange.....

Other than that, I am loving this thing. I love the screen, I love the audio, I dig the design, I like camera results (yep... I said it: I LIKE THE CAMERA ALL YOU HATERS!!!), it has not had any lag or "ghosting", as one would expect it is smooth as an iced over lake.

It is just different enough that you know it is not a Nokia, and I mean that in a good way. It is a hair different feel but it is still the WP experience I want.

I absolutely recommend this bad boy. (Or bad girl, lest I be insensitive.) It carries the banner of Flagship well. It has no glaring weak points and a TON of strong points.

1. Can't say I've experienced any issues with calls connecting. Its usually pretty fast for me. May be something to ask your carrier about.

2. Do you have both volume settings turned up? Also, try checking the attentive settings in the main Settings app. It has options for making ringtones, etc louder if its in a pocket and things like that. That may help raise the volume a bit. With 2 speakers, volume should not be an issue with this phone at all.

3. Holding power & volume up is going to cause a screenshot. Your case might be doing it or you may be bumping buttons on accident. It just requires both buttons be pushed at the same time, not held at all. With my Dot View case, I never take accidental screenshots.

This is a great phone and has lots of great features. I hope you can get these 3 things resolved. :) Glad you're loving the phone so far.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy has this phone on sale for $29.99 with a 2yr contract. Probably getting the wife to upgrade from her 920 today.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I picked one of these bad boys a couple days ago. I finally left Sprint, because they offer crap with regard to WP devices. I switched to AT&T. I had the HTC One M7 Android. I liked that phone very much. I only wanted the better OS. So, I upgraded to the M8 with the OS I've been wanting. I am extremely happy thus far. My daughter got the Nokia 830. Both devices are excellent. The Nokia 830 actually feels better in the hand, but I like the front facing speakers so much, it will be hard to ever go back to not having that.

kwajr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree with about everything you typed!!

2 things I have to say I have missed more than I thought I would: The physical camera button and the Glance. Glance was simply because my phone is my watch, and having the time without waking the phone up was super handy. The physical button for the camera is handy when something starts happening right in front of you as you are using the phone for something else or if the phone is off. Being able to just hit that button and you are right there is way better than having to back out to the menu and slid to the camera icon.

Otherwise, I like it so far. I dig the onscreen keys. Being able to remove them and bring them back up makes way more sense to me than capacitive keys taking up real estate. It is as quick as a hiccup, and I was watching the "Agent Carter" premier on my Watch ABC app, and the sound was really good. Just a good time.

Love the large selection of cases and accessories as well. It having a fraternal twin that is an Android has its advantages.

Simply put camera in the action center

Also check out HTC advantage folks

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Picked one up yesterday. Love it so far. Only thing I have to get used to is the power button being on top. Keep pressing the SD card slot haha.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Nicelock is the app to solve this problem. You can pin a tile to lock the screen then double tap to wake, no need for the button anymore.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Nicelock is the app to solve this problem. You can pin a tile to lock the screen then double tap to wake, no need for the button anymore.

I use double tap to wake and nicelock to put it to sleep. Saves some wear and tear on the physical buttons. Nicelock is a really good app.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I'll have to check that out. Had no idea about the double-tap until I was watching a video last night (didn't see your replies until now)...that's really cool!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077