01-29-2015 12:16 PM
171 1234 ...
tools
    I went nuts over the dot view case! But I don't trust the camera and reviews proved it.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    01-28-2015 12:04 AM
    I try and keep up on the Phones for Windows and the forums are really the best place to find out how the phones really are out in the wild, and I have owned a few Lumias and now the M8 and I can say from a purely smart phone stand point the HTC is the best Windows phone out there right now , there is not a phone made that does not have some kind of problem and the Lumias are no different. I will admit the cameras on the Lumias are better and the 1520 has a little better battery life and as far as updates go all you have to do is look at the wreck of the updates for all the Windows phones, there are still some waiting for the 8.1 update and Cyan, and Denim is a real mess. I think I can take my chances with HTC and AT&T. And as far a cameras, I have a really nice Nokia Camera that cost a lot less than $ 4 to $6 hundred dollars to take pictures with, so the one on my M8 works just fine for facebook and Instagram, But oh man the rest of the phone flat smokes the Lumias from looks to performance. And yes I think we need more phone manufacturers to make Windows phone, there are a lot of people out there just like you who think LG and Samsung and Motorola and Sony are the best and they probable would buy a Windows phone if they made them, just for the brand name and they would ague to death that their phone is the best and tell you all the reasons yours isn't, If Nokia's name could not do it, Microsofts isn't going to come close, so we need as many makes as we can get selling Windows phones if we want this OS to grow.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-28-2015 12:40 AM
    Even though I have a Lumia and I have a fondness for Nokia's(now Microsoft's) phones, I'd switch to another OEM in a heartbeat if the specs were there. The m8 doesn't have a very good camera imo, and I'm not willing to downgrade the experience so drastically from my 1020. Now with the Hima/M9, I might possibly make the jump, that's if the phone is even confirmed for Windows.
    Idk if I could even go to the m9. While better than the m8, we've seen that even with comparable specs such as Sony android phones, their phones are great but still not quite there. I've been telling people to wait to see what Lumia comes with in 2015 before Making any decisions.

I was planning to leave for iPhone in September but now that I am here....im realizing now that I love windows 10 so far. Now I need the hardware and I'm set.
    01-28-2015 12:48 AM
    I try and keep up on the Phones for Windows and the forums are really the best place to find out how the phones really are out in the wild, and I have owned a few Lumias and now the M8 and I can say from a purely smart phone stand point the HTC is the best Windows phone out there right now , there is not a phone made that does not have some kind of problem and the Lumias are no different. I will admit the cameras on the Lumias are better and the 1520 has a little better battery life and as far as updates go all you have to do is look at the wreck of the updates for all the Windows phones, there are still some waiting for the 8.1 update and Cyan, and Denim is a real mess. I think I can take my chances with HTC and AT&T. And as far a cameras, I have a really nice Nokia Camera that cost a lot less than $ 4 to $6 hundred dollars to take pictures with, so the one on my M8 works just fine for facebook and Instagram, But oh man the rest of the phone flat smokes the Lumias from looks to performance. And yes I think we need more phone manufacturers to make Windows phone, there are a lot of people out there just like you who think LG and Samsung and Motorola and Sony are the best and they probable would buy a Windows phone if they made them, just for the brand name and they would ague to death that their phone is the best and tell you all the reasons yours isn't, If Nokia's name could not do it, Microsofts isn't going to come close, so we need as many makes as we can get selling Windows phones if we want this OS to grow.
    Definitely disagree :) take Lumia camera out and HTC speakers, there is no true advantage over either phone truthfully.

Looks/design....i like that I have choice. M8 has one choice.
    PPerformance is equal...I'm using the m8 for work. I don't notice anything different.

Take out their signature features and they are equally great. With their signature features, most people will go for the best camera over speakers. The camera is good for social networking....but then again so is my Lumia PLUS I can do more with it and not have to worry about what happens if I crop it.

The updates are fine. Carrier intervention is why we don't have it in the us. And the rollout is slow outside the us but it is coming.

In HTC camp, look how long it took them to get windows phone 8.1....after that back and forth and how even the 8s users thought they couldn't do it.

I've never worried about an official Lumia update.

Plus if HTC once again delays the m9 release like the m8 windows, then that proves HTC hasn't changed much at all.
    01-28-2015 12:54 AM
    Ok so I've been reading a bunch of forum posts lately and all I see is Nokia fan boys bashing HTC particularly the one m8. I've heard the terms Nokia =premium and stuff like that. The last I checked there is no nokia/microsoft flagship out right now. Aluminum feels more premium than the plastics used by Nokia/ms. Now granted HTC makes like one phone every two years but still shouldn't HTC deserve some credit because the one m8 is a killer device that in my opinion is the best windows phone you can be as of now.
    1. THE CAMERA SUCKS! I almost bought the HTC, but in a head to head, my old 822 had a better camera. FAIL.

2. Excessive size due to dual front facing speaker. My phone is not a boom box.

3. Build quality.

4. Support.

5. Exclusive apps.

Moving on.
    01-28-2015 01:01 AM
    I think the android approach is what is needed. Your right HTC and Samsung aren't taking advantage of the lack of the ms flagship however, choice and option helps personally I feel like they shouldn't have bought Nokia and just followed a nexus approach but its done and can't be changed.
    Look at apple. Lack of choice isn't doing too bad for them. :P

The android approach isn't working. Lets see we have the 530, 535, 630....which more or less all three shouldn't exist. They are incredibly flawed in their numbering. All three released last year.

Yes we have choice.....now a 4th one in the mix. With the 430

In mid range camp, we have the Lumia 730 and 830....choice yet again yet they may as well merged the phone into one. There's not that much difference between the two.

On the high end side...we have the icon/930 and 1520. Surprisingly their high end is not bad. It's nust the fact they stuck it with the wrong carrier and relied on the 1520 far too long with no suitable successor.

This android approach of releasing all these phones but then making variants is so confusing and it isn't exactly helping the platform.

It's what HTC did with android. They had an android phone out every month and it screwed them in the long run.

Look at them now. They maintain control with less models and aren't essentially screwing customers over releasing a slightly better model less than 6 months later.

Windows phone can be the best of ios and android.....it can't be one or the other. Allow your partners to do the android approach. You take the apple approach. Two high ends, two midrange, one enhanced low end.

January-march your flagship with your first midrange

Summer your more premium mid range with your low end

Fall/winter- your phablet high end

Microsoft already seems to be making the mistake google made with releasing so many devices which begin to give the platform a bad image....see Lumia 530.
    01-28-2015 01:05 AM
    1. THE CAMERA SUCKS! I almost bought the HTC, but in a head to head, my old 822 had a better camera. FAIL.

2. Excessive size due to dual front facing speaker. My phone is not a boom box.

3. Build quality.

4. Support.

5. Exclusive apps.

Moving on.
    I agree mostly but unfortunately we are beginning to lose our exclusive apps in favor of the lesser OEMs. But thankfully they still have exclusive features :)
    01-28-2015 01:07 AM
    I don't have anything against HTC. The M8 is premium in my book.

That said, I do have a lot of fondness for Nokia, arguably more for Nokia than Microsoft even.

It's because of all the things they've contributed to the platform, things that are/were once exclusive to the Lumia line such as great design (IMO), many valuable apps like HERE Maps, certain hardware innovations (especially the camera) and even adding functionality to their phones that is/was missing from WP like call blocking (a problem with some HTC phones, last I heard).

Back when the Lumia 920 was released, Nokia seemed to offer the best Windows Phone experience. The playing field is more balanced now with things like HERE mapping no longer being exclusive. I'm very sad to see Nokia go but on the flip side, I also hope to see more manufacturers.
    Last edited by bokchoy1; 01-28-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    01-28-2015 01:51 AM
    Nokia fanboy logic-
    If that phone ain't Nokia then it deserves bashing.

Hope that help you to answer your question.

And this is universal law applied to every fanboy(Apple fanboy, Samsung fanboy )
    BenJAMIN_2009 likes this.
    01-28-2015 02:01 AM
    For me, it's simple.

Not available outside US
    No Qi Wireless Charging
    Camera is below par 📷 to Lumias.
    01-28-2015 02:14 AM
    Same question can be ask, why does htc fanboys hate nokia? Like how htc themselves dissed nokia when they released the htc one. Plus the fact that they used nokia's audio microphones and labelled them as their own
    01-28-2015 02:27 AM
    Well, i'm not a nokia fanboy but i don't hate on HTC either :). Anyway, the fact that i hate about M8 Windows Phone is not being availble outside US.
    01-28-2015 03:32 AM
    In mid range camp, we have the Lumia 730 and 830... they may as well merged the phone into one. There's not that much difference between the two.
    Hey now, I disagree! ;) I have the 830 and very much enjoy the following things:

glance
    IPS LCD screen
    build quality
    camera button
    rear camera with at least 8mp
    OIS
    16gb of storage allowing me to put off buying an SD card... For now.

Sure the two phones could be better differentiated spec-wise but they're not the same. I do prefer the smaller size of the 730 but not much else.

=====

Maybe the "Android approach" is what's needed in the short run. Not necessarily more devices but more well-known manufacturers. If these manufacturers all make and support a variety of WP devices, WP will be more visible to consumers, leading to more buyers and more app developers for the platform. It could also lead to more fragmentation and devices not getting updated, but the app store would arguably improve. 😜
    01-28-2015 03:42 AM
    Same question can be ask, why does htc fanboys hate nokia? Like how htc themselves dissed nokia when they released the htc one. Plus the fact that they used nokia's audio microphones and labelled them as their own
    Exactly this. I've noticed many have to bash the Lumia icon to somehow prop the m8 up. Its kind of ironic really.
    01-28-2015 04:05 AM
    You should try Lumia flagship next gen :) It's pretty amazing.
    I'm patiently waiting for next next Lumia flagship. I really like the 830 a lot, but the M8 has me spoiled because it's so fast lol :-)
    01-28-2015 04:34 AM
    Microkians never hate the One M8. They(we) just prefer the Lumias... In your opinion the M8 is the best WP. In my opinion it is the 830. That is just me.
    01-28-2015 04:35 AM
    I don't hate the One M8, I just dislike HTC phones in general.
    This dislike comes from the fact that every HTC phone I owned felt as though it was going to fall apart in my hands.
    01-28-2015 04:59 AM
    The M8 is a great phone from Verizon. Lots of accessories available which often Lumias are weak on.
    01-28-2015 05:27 AM
    I'm a Nokia fan, and I don't hate it, i just don't want to use it :P
    Nogitsune Micah and saras112 like this.
    01-28-2015 05:43 AM
    my first windows phone was the HTC Radar, it was well built with very good battery life and camera
    provided pictures that were acceptable for work use, reliable never failed over three years, had to upgrade to windows phone 8.0 and no HTC available that appealed at the time so went to Nokia 920 still working ok, if the new HTC N8 windows phone is as reliable as the Radar i would buy one, but not available in my area yet, i buy any make if it's good, also my first smart phone was a HTC Desire on Android again well built and reliable, both HTC and Nokia build some bad phones it's a case of finding the best ones, all that matters is they use Windows phone.
    01-28-2015 05:55 AM
    I moved from the 822 to the m8. I am very happy with it. I never liked glance and although I liked wireless charging I can't say that I miss it. I don't know what the issues are with the camera but for my needs it's great. Very fast and the pictures couldn't be better.
    I thought that I was somewhat of a fan boy but realized that there are no more new Nokia phones or Lumia phones (on Verizon) and I wanted a flagship device and that was the HTC One m8. The switch was painless with no regrets. I put the gunmetal Spigen on it and everything is wonderful.
    01-28-2015 06:08 AM
    I think the responses here show that very few, if anybody, actually hates the M8. I personally don't really need a great camera in a phone... they are all pathetic when compared to a mid range DSLR, which is what I use when I want good pictures. As such, the M8 hardware is absolutely something I would buy. However, I've had many poor experiences with HTC's software and support. I've been burned too many times to trust HTC (back in the WM days) and earning back trust is difficult. If the M8 turns out to be supported well, and the M8 owners here remain happy until the end of their contracts, I'll likely consider HTC again for future purchases.
    Back in 2011 the situation was quite the opposite. Few here had an opinion on Nokia at all, were skeptical, or just prefered HTC or even Samsung. Things like this can shift easily in just a few years. There is no reason it couldn't shift again.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    01-28-2015 06:51 AM
    Bad camera, no qi charging, no capacitive buttons, no camera button
    hidayat225 likes this.
    01-28-2015 06:53 AM
    HTC 8X phones grab the Windows 8.1 (Cyan) just today yet. What would you think?
    saras112 likes this.
    01-28-2015 06:54 AM
    The M8 is a great phone from Verizon. Lots of accessories available which often Lumias are weak on.
    Not any more
    01-28-2015 06:57 AM
171 1234 ...