Why do all the Nokia fan boys hate the HTC one m8

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Microkians never hate the One M8. They(we) just prefer the Lumias... In your opinion the M8 is the best WP. In my opinion it is the 830. That is just me.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't hate the One M8, I just dislike HTC phones in general.
This dislike comes from the fact that every HTC phone I owned felt as though it was going to fall apart in my hands.

AllanQuatermain

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
my first windows phone was the HTC Radar, it was well built with very good battery life and camera
provided pictures that were acceptable for work use, reliable never failed over three years, had to upgrade to windows phone 8.0 and no HTC available that appealed at the time so went to Nokia 920 still working ok, if the new HTC N8 windows phone is as reliable as the Radar i would buy one, but not available in my area yet, i buy any make if it's good, also my first smart phone was a HTC Desire on Android again well built and reliable, both HTC and Nokia build some bad phones it's a case of finding the best ones, all that matters is they use Windows phone.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I moved from the 822 to the m8. I am very happy with it. I never liked glance and although I liked wireless charging I can't say that I miss it. I don't know what the issues are with the camera but for my needs it's great. Very fast and the pictures couldn't be better.
I thought that I was somewhat of a fan boy but realized that there are no more new Nokia phones or Lumia phones (on Verizon) and I wanted a flagship device and that was the HTC One m8. The switch was painless with no regrets. I put the gunmetal Spigen on it and everything is wonderful.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the responses here show that very few, if anybody, actually hates the M8. I personally don't really need a great camera in a phone... they are all pathetic when compared to a mid range DSLR, which is what I use when I want good pictures. As such, the M8 hardware is absolutely something I would buy. However, I've had many poor experiences with HTC's software and support. I've been burned too many times to trust HTC (back in the WM days) and earning back trust is difficult. If the M8 turns out to be supported well, and the M8 owners here remain happy until the end of their contracts, I'll likely consider HTC again for future purchases.
Back in 2011 the situation was quite the opposite. Few here had an opinion on Nokia at all, were skeptical, or just prefered HTC or even Samsung. Things like this can shift easily in just a few years. There is no reason it couldn't shift again.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I loved the Verizon 8X I had for a while. Very nice phone, over the years, I have had MANY HTC devices and besides a few issues here and there, they were good phones.

The M8 is a nice phone but, I don't think it's that much better than the 930/929 (ICON). Sure it has it's perks but, also has it's limits.

The M8 is a flagship from HTC but, I wanted to be super impressed and I was not..

Still a nice phone but, not a Nokia killer...

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen any sign of this in nearly five years being accurate at all. In the windows phone 7 days there were lots of alternatives and in the windows phone 8 days all OEMs were on equal footing. Samsung and HTC slacked and Nokia rose to power....now with the Nokia sale, blu is an up and comer and HTC has the perfect opportunity to swoop in and be relevant except they aren't.

What will help windows phone is developer and carrier support. Not a rush of OEMs.

I don't mind being an isheep type of person. Because I like the idea that all windows phones are made from the same people who make my operating system and control that. I want Microsoft to take an apple approach because this current android approach is an utter mess.

1. Windows Phone hasn't been free to OEMs for five years.
2. It wasn't until 8.1 that they made it OEM friendly.
3. Developer support comes with OEM and carrier support. If you don't have OEM and carrier support, you don't have enough market share to entire developers. Nokia alone couldn't do it, and neither will Microsoft( 8.1 changes for OEMs shows they don't want to try either). Developers don't want to work on a platform that may not make a return on investment and show a profit. Development is very expensive if you haven't done it. 40 man hours from me costs thousands of dollars (not that I see that much). I tried to develop a WP app for a client and he canned it. He didn't want to spend the time and therefore only had me write it for iOS and Android because his employees use one or the other, with iOS being the majority.

So give it time, it is too early to see the effects OEMs will or will not have.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm going to just start by calling this a troll thread because the title starts us off with an insult, then the main post basically backs up the insult with opinion-based facts like which material feels better. However, I'll respond with a list of my complaints with the One (M8) for Windows, but I wanted to start with that to make it known that the point was presented and defended poorly, because it is, and these types of stances (detractors are "fanboys," opinions are facts).

1. You can say that aluminum "feels more premium," all you want, but I still don't like it. My cousin has the Android One (M8), and I would never want such a device. The body is extremely slick, though my black Lumia 920 is pretty lacking in the grip friction department as well. So, to me, you're talking about the feeling of a pair of materials (aluminum, matte polycarbonate--can't speak for the glossy stuff on the red and white 920s, for example) that I find too slick to hold, then either option is going to get a case thrown on for grip, and the aluminum-vs.-polycarbonate feeling is out the window. Also, I generally don't care for the aluminum because it's more of a heat conductor, so if your phone is out in the cold, it's colder to the touch, and vice versa in the heat (though I can't speak to the degree of that preference when I haven't used an aluminum device on a daily basis).

2. I've owned an HTC device in the past--the HTC Droid Incredible. That device soured me on HTC as a whole forever. The music player was crash-prone (as someone whose device was primarily for music, that drove me nuts), and HTC offered very little software support (1 major update and 1 minor update in 2 years, and IDK what either did). HTC just didn't seem like a quality long-term investment, so I don't bother with them anymore.

3. This is probably the top issue: HTC's trust in Windows Phone. With the 8X and 8S, HTC built two phones from the ground-up for Windows Phone. Granted, I didn't care for the devices (too thin/flimsy-feeling), they weren't outright terrible, and they were intelligently planned. The On (M8) for Windows is an abomination that ends up being an Android device with Windows Phone jammed inside. The camera button I love about Windows Phone isn't there. The on-screen nav buttons irritate me (that goes for every device manufacturer). HTC basically took the free licensing of Windows Phone and reused their Android hardware, never considering how consumers felt the two would go together logistically.

4. We will not see the same level of support from HTC as we will from Microsoft (ties back in to #2 a bit). The Lumia firmware won't come to any HTC devices, and we don't know the level of long-term support the HTC One (M8) will get, or if there will be a successor. Even if there IS a successor, it will probably just be another Android hardware port with the same complaints as this one (no camera button, on-screen nav, minimal software support).

So, in short: HTC's One (M8) for Windows was a half-hearted device thrown together with recycled parts, ignorant of the experience Windows Phone users expect. There's nothing from a hardware or software standpoint that I consider advantageous, when putting the One (M8) against the Lumia 930. The 930's not on AT&T, so I stick with my 920 because the One (M8) seems like a functional compromise and a device that just wouldn't be pleasant for me to use.

So, those are my OPINIONS about the One (M8), and why I wouldn't switch from my 920 to it if I was given the HTC device for free. It offers no advantage to the competition, while having drawbacks. If having an opinion based on reason and preference outside of brand loyalty is the definition of a "******," then I guess we're both guilty of that here.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm going to just start by calling this a troll thread because the title starts us off with an insult, then the main post basically backs up the insult with opinion-based facts like which material feels better. However, I'll respond with a list of my complaints with the One (M8) for Windows, but I wanted to start with that to make it known that the point was presented and defended poorly, because it is, and these types of stances (detractors are "fanboys," opinions are facts).

1. You can say that aluminum "feels more premium," all you want, but I still don't like it. My cousin has the Android One (M8), and I would never want such a device. The body is extremely slick, though my black Lumia 920 is pretty lacking in the grip friction department as well. So, to me, you're talking about the feeling of a pair of materials (aluminum, matte polycarbonate--can't speak for the glossy stuff on the red and white 920s, for example) that I find too slick to hold, then either option is going to get a case thrown on for grip, and the aluminum-vs.-polycarbonate feeling is out the window. Also, I generally don't care for the aluminum because it's more of a heat conductor, so if your phone is out in the cold, it's colder to the touch, and vice versa in the heat (though I can't speak to the degree of that preference when I haven't used an aluminum device on a daily basis).

2. I've owned an HTC device in the past--the HTC Droid Incredible. That device soured me on HTC as a whole forever. The music player was crash-prone (as someone whose device was primarily for music, that drove me nuts), and HTC offered very little software support (1 major update and 1 minor update in 2 years, and IDK what either did). HTC just didn't seem like a quality long-term investment, so I don't bother with them anymore.

3. This is probably the top issue: HTC's trust in Windows Phone. With the 8X and 8S, HTC built two phones from the ground-up for Windows Phone. Granted, I didn't care for the devices (too thin/flimsy-feeling), they weren't outright terrible, and they were intelligently planned. The On (M8) for Windows is an abomination that ends up being an Android device with Windows Phone jammed inside. The camera button I love about Windows Phone isn't there. The on-screen nav buttons irritate me (that goes for every device manufacturer). HTC basically took the free licensing of Windows Phone and reused their Android hardware, never considering how consumers felt the two would go together logistically.

4. We will not see the same level of support from HTC as we will from Microsoft (ties back in to #2 a bit). The Lumia firmware won't come to any HTC devices, and we don't know the level of long-term support the HTC One (M8) will get, or if there will be a successor. Even if there IS a successor, it will probably just be another Android hardware port with the same complaints as this one (no camera button, on-screen nav, minimal software support).

So, in short: HTC's One (M8) for Windows was a half-hearted device thrown together with recycled parts, ignorant of the experience Windows Phone users expect. There's nothing from a hardware or software standpoint that I consider advantageous, when putting the One (M8) against the Lumia 930. The 930's not on AT&T, so I stick with my 920 because the One (M8) seems like a functional compromise and a device that just wouldn't be pleasant for me to use.

So, those are my OPINIONS about the One (M8), and why I wouldn't switch from my 920 to it if I was given the HTC device for free. It offers no advantage to the competition, while having drawbacks. If having an opinion based on reason and preference outside of brand loyalty is the definition of a "******," then I guess we're both guilty of that here.
Preach 😊 :p

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
1. Windows Phone hasn't been free to OEMs for five years.
2. It wasn't until 8.1 that they made it OEM friendly.
3. Developer support comes with OEM and carrier support. If you don't have OEM and carrier support, you don't have enough market share to entire developers. Nokia alone couldn't do it, and neither will Microsoft( 8.1 changes for OEMs shows they don't want to try either). Developers don't want to work on a platform that may not make a return on investment and show a profit. Development is very expensive if you haven't done it. 40 man hours from me costs thousands of dollars (not that I see that much). I tried to develop a WP app for a client and he canned it. He didn't want to spend the time and therefore only had me write it for iOS and Android because his employees use one or the other, with iOS being the majority.

So give it time, it is too early to see the effects OEMs will or will not have.
Just because it has not been free five years doesn't mean the last five years are irrelevant. Sure give it time to see what happens but even in the nearly year since going free absolutely nothing has changed.

If aanything with the lack of Lumia it got worse.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Recycled parts that months later is still a generation newer than any hardware produced by Nokia or Microsoft. If you can look past the camera, its a great device. The camera isn't all bad for what I used it for though. Of course, the 930 is simply a recycled Icon. Why do we have to look down on HTC for repurposing hardware? Microsoft allowed for repurposing on purpose, to entice OEMs.

I know the whole "but WP doesn't need it" argument ( I don't need a sports car, but I have one because I wanted it, so...), but I cannot tell you how many times I see WP users calling for a Nokia/MS flagship, so the demand is definitely there. The M8 is a SD801, and SD810s are coming out now, with SD820s on the horizon. A new WP flagship is...where? Who knows.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well the M8 filled the void of no flagship for the past few months perfectly fine so I don't see the whole complaint about "we don't need it" yeah sure the camera is an absolute mess. But the internal hardware shines, it matches those of a 930.

Both are 5" 1080p displays, powered by a Snapdragon 800 for the 930 and a 801 for the M8 (not much of a difference really.)

Both of them have 32 GB internal storage however the M8 accepts MicroSD cards (I'm sure you've all seen the threads about WTF NO SD CARDS)

HTC One M8 has the "Boom speakers" while I never tested them out, apparently it's a great thing to listen too.

Basically it comes down to this: You want a flagship? Do you care about the camera? No? One M8, you do? 930

In terms of pricing, since neither of them are in Canada (1020 the last flagship lol) I'll go to the USA stores and see. For some magical reason AT&T charges 669.99$ for the M8 while Verizon charges 499.99$ for no contract. And just for fun T-Mobile charges 639.99$

Lumia 930, well good luck getting that from a carrier since the only one is Verizon with their Icon oh but wait you can't get it... Unless of course you go to a place like expansys in that case they sell it for 399.99$ right now but regular price is 599.99$. So 100$ more than the cheapest price for the M8.

In terms of support from HTC, well, let's just see if they improved from their reorganization.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon