Why do all the Nokia fan boys hate the HTC one m8

Status
Not open for further replies.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I am a fan of the OS, not to the hardware that runs it . If a phone comes out looks great and runs Windows OS then I will jump ship from any vendors phone to have what IMO is the coolest looking phone currently on the market. Since switching from Apple I have used the Nokia 928, 929 / icon and now the M8. I miss the cameras on the other two but overall running DP8.1 runs the best for me on the M8.
Anyways to each their own. As long as you are supporting the OS, choice is nice for the hardware side of things to differentiate yourself from your fellow Windows phone users, unlike Apple where everyone looks the same minus the cases but the same stale looking home and lock screens.
Now I need the hardware and I'm set.

IMO Windows 10 has so much potential especially with the "design one app that will work on all" approach so patiently waiting to see what hardware / flagships will be released this year and if any of it will come to Verizon. (fingers crossed)
If not like I stated on other threads maybe it is time for me to make a switch to a more friendly Windows carrier.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Just because it has not been free five years doesn't mean the last five years are irrelevant.

Your lack of business experience is showing again.

OEMs will not come to a platform that has very little market share if they have to pay a fee on top of that. It makes more sense to go Android, which has royalty fees to MS as well, but Android is pretty much guaranteed to make a bigger profit than WP. Making it free and allowing existing hardware to run it helps bring in OEMs, and we saw this happen last year with a grip of new OEMs bringing out WP handsets.

Midniteryu

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Upgraded from a HTC 8X and am Happy with the M8. However I believe the most important feature of the Lumia or the HTC WPs is their windows phones, we all have our preferences and desired features we value over others but at the end of the day we're all supporting windows phone and maybe with Windows 10 the gap between these phones might become smaller.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The camera sucks. I was already to buy this until I started seeing samples from the android version, and then comparing it to my 928. There really wasn't a comparison. HTC dropped the ball with the camera, and ever knows it.
If they rectify the situation with the camera for the M9, I think you'll see a lot of "Nokia fan boys" jump ship.

wasim sallam

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
M8 is a very good phone, I wish it is available outside USA, I would buy it right now.
sooner M9 will be reviled and maybe after few months it will get Windows10 version.
so i hope this one will be available worldwide

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The camera sucks. I was already to buy this until I started seeing samples from the android version, and then comparing it to my 928. There really wasn't a comparison. HTC dropped the ball with the camera, and ever knows it.
If they rectify the situation with the camera for the M9, I think you'll see a lot of "Nokia fan boys" jump ship.
Doubtful especially since it is unlikely we would jump ship to an HTC camera when Lumia pureview is coming :p if HTC brings a 41 or higher megapixel camera then we can talk.
Their 20 megapixel? I already have 20 megapixel and I'm wanting more with better use.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Your lack of business experience is showing again.

OEMs will not come to a platform that has very little market share if they have to pay a fee on top of that. It makes more sense to go Android, which has royalty fees to MS as well, but Android is pretty much guaranteed to make a bigger profit than WP. Making it free and allowing existing hardware to run it helps bring in OEMs, and we saw this happen last year with a grip of new OEMs bringing out WP handsets.

Lmao that is your go to excuse. It has nothing to do with lack of business sense. Considering there were more OEMs then releasing more phones and different variations. You can't just dismiss the last 4 years because it is now free.

I'm curious to see what is going to happen. As it stands were a year in almost and nothing has happened except HTC released a flagship that is highly irrelevant and not something the majority windows phone owners want presently.

Though I am curious to see what the excuse will be year end when the market share is the same. Since you guys tend to hang to the argument we need more OEMs to give people a choice so the os can grow argument.

I'd love to be wrong. But we shall see.

STXVI

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I was originally a Nokia fan boy that wasn't happy about the OS change, but I have been wooed by the live tiles. LOL. Nevertheless, I am interested in trying other OEMs with WP on it, but haven't because Nokia presents a better hardware experience. I got the L920 when it first came out so my upgrade was due this past November and I had to consider the M8, L830, and the L1520. I ended up staying with my L920 because the L830 is gimped already for future features, ATT gimped its version of the L1520, but the M8 because the camera was subpar to my L920 and it had no wireless charging. When it comes to WP offerings looks I still think that the best looking are the HTC 8S, L720, and L1520, but hardware is key. If I wasn't personally bound to my unlimited data plan I may have already gotten an ungimped L1520. To me that is the best hardware/software WP available right now...not hating HTC, but the M8 lacks some hardware that is important to me.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess I don't see the bashing going on as much as mentioned above.

I've seen the M8 in person and it does feel nice, and I love the idea of the front speakers, and having a duo camera would be nice, but for me it ends there. It would be a nice phone, but not at its price. I certainly am not a Nokia fanatic, because I didn't even know they were still around until I got my 920. But Nokias do tend to have the better cameras (which is a big selling point for me) along with usually having a camera button, and they are usually built like tanks. Plus personal experience: in my family we bought at the same time one HTC 8X and one Lumia 920. 1.5 years later, the 8X is having fits of shutting down, issues making calls, issues with keyboard responsiveness, issues with SIM card connection. On the other hand, the 920 is operating at the same level as when I bought it. Apart from a few scratches it could pass for new.

Now of course, all Nokias are not tanks like the 920 was, and all HTCs are not faulty like the 8X was, but I think Nokia's quality has spoiled a lot of people. I would certainly consider an M8 if it were priced at the same level of the 830, or if it had a 1020-level camera and camera button if the overall user experience is that it's a solid phone. But as things are, I would likely go for the 830. Not because just because it's a Nokia, but because it's a Nokia/Microsoft and I know what those products tend to be like.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Lmao that is your go to excuse. It has nothing to do with lack of business sense. Considering there were more OEMs then releasing more phones and different variations. You can't just dismiss the last 4 years because it is now free.

I'm curious to see what is going to happen. As it stands were a year in almost and nothing has happened except HTC released a flagship that is highly irrelevant and not something the majority windows phone owners want presently.

Though I am curious to see what the excuse will be year end when the market share is the same. Since you guys tend to hang to the argument we need more OEMs to give people a choice so the os can grow argument.

I'd love to be wrong. But we shall see.

There was more OEM activity since WP went free than the past years. Common sense needs to be used here.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I love both companies ,I'd like to see more focus on Windows Phone bt HTC,one thing I like in particular about their phones is how well it feels in hand,wish I would get that feel with Lumias,on software side I prefer Lumia extras along with sms+call filtering in settings

thracian

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Bad first impressions are hard to shake. Very hard. It's just like when a new guy on the job makes a rep his first year as a lazy useless worker but then really steps up his game his entire send year, all everyone remembers for a long time is his first year. When Nokia were independent, they were the ones doing most of the heavy lifting to push WP while Samsung and HTC kind of just took a casual approach and now people are pretty leery of them continuing that approach.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Cute. Now compare OEMs in 2013 to 2014.

You really do love to argue over the silliest of things lmao. Catching a flight so I don't have time to go back and forth with you.

If you're going to debate at least stop relying on the same tired retorts over the trivial things :p it becomes petty. There were more devices to choose from than presently.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not just the camera. The camera is the biggest thing. It's the phone itself compared to other competitors and its oem

Forget the OEM. That's such a lame argument that needs to be put out to pasture. The design & engineering teams build the phone, don't hold them accountable for what management does with it. The M8 is a solid device that can run with the big dogs but is straddled with a horrible camera. It was a high-stakes gamble that didn't pay off - this time. Maybe the technology has its merits but it wasn't executed properly - this time. I know you're passionate about Lumias but give credit where credit is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb