Why do all the Nokia fan boys hate the HTC one m8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Regarding 1: Yes it is. I'll let Anandtech show you how its not just higher clocks:
AnandTech | The Difference Between Snapdragon 800 and 801: Clearing up Confusion

Regarding 2: I noted the shortcomings of the HTC camera, why are you repeating me?

Regarding 3: Yes it is. Same radio most likely too, with different bands unlocked. Go look at XDA, people unlock unsupported bands all the time without cracking open the device once. "The only difference is which networks they were made for." So...recycled? LOL.

Regarding 4: What is your point? Nobody said you had to like it, but it is good for the WP ecosystem and you know it. It gives you choice, which is good for the consumer.

Regarding 5: Just as old and still has newer hardware. You made my point for me, thanks :)

1. OK, so faster transfer speeds and a DSDA option. Does the One (M8) use the DSDA? I honestly don't know, as it's something that is never really messed with in the U.S. Otherwise, it's faster speeds on stuff and maybe lower power consumption. Honest inquiry, I just don't know if the One is making use of the added features being mentioned.
2. You said the camera isn't all that bad, was just saying that those who know the stuff better than I have disagreed, while adding that I haven't done a comparison to offer my own perspective.
3. That's not recycled, that's called branding. Nokia basically designed the Icon/930 as one device, but gave them different region variant names, as they did with many other models (like the 810 vs. 820). The One (M8) for Windows basically came about because Microsoft changed the requirements for Windows Phones, which allowed HTC to use extra Android device parts to throw Windows Phone on. The Icon and 930 were built with the same purpose in-mind, while the One (M8) for Windows was basically a byproduct of extra parts and lax requirements.
4. My point is that he asked why people don't like the One (M8). I explained that. You mentioned looking down on HTC. It's not looking down on them, necessarily, it's just preferring the competition because of things like hardware features (off-screen nav buttons, camera button, wireless charging, color options). The point is that people are being called "fanboys" for having opinions preferences, not for some undying devotion that ignores facts.
5. Yes and no. The SoC's older, but it's also paired with a greater feature set on that hardware, like I mentioned. While I'd like to see Microsoft put the latest and greatest into their devices (like how I ripped them for using the turd Snapdragon 400 in the 830, then marketing it as a "flagship"), but I can live with a clock drop that's mostly a benchmarking difference than a real-world application issue, if the alternative is an overall experience that I find inferior. Those slight clock bumps on the HTC side don't do enough to combat the losses on the hardware and software sides, but that's just for me.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
1. OK, so faster transfer speeds and a DSDA option. Does the One (M8) use the DSDA? I honestly don't know, as it's something that is never really messed with in the U.S. Otherwise, it's faster speeds on stuff and maybe lower power consumption. Honest inquiry, I just don't know if the One is making use of the added features being mentioned.
2. You said the camera isn't all that bad, was just saying that those who know the stuff better than I have disagreed, while adding that I haven't done a comparison to offer my own perspective.
3. That's not recycled, that's called branding. Nokia basically designed the Icon/930 as one device, but gave them different region variant names, as they did with many other models (like the 810 vs. 820). The One (M8) for Windows basically came about because Microsoft changed the requirements for Windows Phones, which allowed HTC to use extra Android device parts to throw Windows Phone on. The Icon and 930 were built with the same purpose in-mind, while the One (M8) for Windows was basically a byproduct of extra parts and lax requirements.
4. My point is that he asked why people don't like the One (M8). I explained that. You mentioned looking down on HTC. It's not looking down on them, necessarily, it's just preferring the competition because of things like hardware features (off-screen nav buttons, camera button, wireless charging, color options). The point is that people are being called "fanboys" for having opinions preferences, not for some undying devotion that ignores facts.
5. Yes and no. The SoC's older, but it's also paired with a greater feature set on that hardware, like I mentioned. While I'd like to see Microsoft put the latest and greatest into their devices (like how I ripped them for using the turd Snapdragon 400 in the 830, then marketing it as a "flagship"), but I can live with a clock drop that's mostly a benchmarking difference than a real-world application issue, if the alternative is an overall experience that I find inferior. Those slight clock bumps on the HTC side don't do enough to combat the losses on the hardware and software sides, but that's just for me.

Regarding 2: Go back and read what I said. It said it wasn't that bad for what I used it for. Note the word, 'I', note the word 'used'. I didn't mention what I used it for, but I will now: Whiteboard screenshots of mockups for work.

Regarding 3: Semantics. Recycled means to use same hardware for a different purpose. Rebranded means the same thing but slapping a different name on it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, you are backpeddling.

I can find more cases where it is clear you do not want other OEMs coming into WP, from this thread even.
I'm not backpedaling at all. I can admit that id prefer Lumia only. That's no lie or changing the story.
You however are trying to change the discussion to
Something else that we weren't even presently discussing to try and prove a point lmao.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Keith don't waste your time lol. He does this often :p

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
They really don't have a good reason they just do. I've owned both the HD7 and the 8X and both were fine phones. The M8 is another great entry by HTC and is the current flagship device and it appears that HTC will have another flagship, the M9, before MS release their next flagship. HTC has been making Phones for MS OSs since Windows Mobile 5.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
They really don't have a good reason they just do. I've owned both the HD7 and the 8X and both were fine phones. The M8 is another great entry by HTC and is the current flagship device and it appears that HTC will have another flagship, the M9, before MS release their next flagship. HTC has been making Phones for MS OSs since Windows Mobile 5.

Lmao thanks for speaking for us. Someone should start a topic about why HTC owners feel so defensive when people criticize their phone lmao.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Kind of where I am at. With my Icon going strong, I have no reason to look at another phone. Would I like the opportunity to try one out - sure! Just fondling a display model in a store isn't going to tell me much. If I was in the market for a phone, I would look hard at the M8. I also hope HTC does well on the long term hardware durability, 'cause we do need other OEMs to be strong with WP.

Honestly, I don't think that other OEMs are necessary. If they put out quality, successful devices, that's all well and good, I guess. However, if Microsoft's going to continue to offer the best experiences and the best devices, then the choice isn't really that meaningful. The hybrid market is a pretty good comparison, as the Surface Pro 3 seems to be the clear favorite on that front, as it's got the OS-OEM support pairing that would give many people more faith in the support of the device. Throw in that it offers things like Wacom support and a true convertible experience at a comparable price to the laptop convertibles, and it's easy to see why the things are so popular. If Microsoft invested in an ASUS-style keyboard dock for the Surface Pro 4, then it could be reasoned that the competing devices from ASUS, Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell, and HP aren't all that important to Windows' appeal, as they are secondary hardware providers who aren't matching the quality of the primary OEM's hardware.

On the flip side, it's good when the competition exists to push advancements and improvements to devices. I think that's something we've seen as Microsoft has ignored the high-end smartphone space since it took over device manufacturing, as there hasn't really been a real WP flagship threat. Maybe a true flagship from Samsung or HTC running Windows Phone would push Microsoft to include better SoCs in their higher-end devices and produce flagships more frequently, but at the same time, the devices from Microsoft haven't been so bad that there's an argument that we're being outright screwed by the lack of alternatives from the hardware perspective.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Regarding 3: Semantics. Recycled means to use same hardware for a different purpose. Rebranded means the same thing but slapping a different name on it.

That's my point, though. The Icon and 930 are the same device, meant to perform the same tasks. The two One (M8) variants weren't designed together with the same intentions. The Windows iteration was just a result of hardware compatibility and eliminated licensing fees. The One (M8) for Windows is an Android phone recycled to run Windows Phone, basically. The Icon and 930 are the same things with different names, as opposed to being the same devices with different operating systems, application offerings, and support pipelines (from a software standpoint).

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
That's my point, though. The Icon and 930 are the same device, meant to perform the same tasks. The two One (M8) variants weren't designed together with the same intentions. The Windows iteration was just a result of hardware compatibility and eliminated licensing fees. The One (M8) for Windows is an Android phone recycled to run Windows Phone, basically. The Icon and 930 are the same things with different names, as opposed to being the same devices with different operating systems, application offerings, and support pipelines (from a software standpoint).

I guess I fail to see the problem.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Or a topic on why Nokia/MS owners get defensive when people try to explain that HTC phones are as good as their Lumias.

I'm not defensive if someone criticizes my phone lol. You say the m8 camera is bad and suddenly its an outrage lmao.

But you said it correctly. Your m8 is just as good as my Lumia...not better. Thank you :) that's all I wanted. :p

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So according to everything I've been reading Nokia/ms phones are better because of the name ill tape a Nokia symbol on my m8 then now so no one hates it lol

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not defensive if someone criticizes my phone lol. You say the m8 camera is bad and suddenly its an outrage lmao.

But you said it correctly. Your m8 is just as good as my Lumia...not better. Thank you :) that's all I wanted. :p

Actually I have a Lumia 1520 but yeah, the M8 is just as good.

Igor_BL

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
No glance or notification light, it's not a flagship phone. Memory, RAM, etc., it goes without saying that those features have to be top notch. But it's the "small" things that make me get one or another device. That's why I consider Lumia 830 currently the most versatile windows phone device.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I started out with a HTC 7 Trophy, then a HTC Radar and a HTC 8X. I had a Nokia 928 which I absolutely LOVED the way it looked. Once the battery was done for, I tried a Nokia 830 and while the hardware was great it just felt off. I've ordered a second hand M8 now to see what it's like.

I don't dislike Nokia/MS phones for their hardware but more their appearance. They're not exacly bulky anymore but very blocky. Very cool to some, but I prefer the tapered edges of the HTC. Got to admit I loved the Lumia performance, but I'm a sucker for looks haha.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
No glance or notification light, it's not a flagship phone. Memory, RAM, etc., it goes without saying that those features have to be top notch. But it's the "small" things that make me get one or another device. That's why I consider Lumia 830 currently the most versatile windows phone device.

There is no glance or notification light on the Icon or 930. Does that mean those devices are not flagships? I don't believe there are notification lights on any current windows phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers