Hey guys,
    a friend of mine wants to buy a m8 with windows but he lives in germany. Can he use his german sim-card with the phone? Is he going to pay a lot extra for shipping etc. he would buy it at USA-Amazon.
    02-10-2015 02:31 PM
    As long as it's unlocked it will work.. He might have problems with APN settings etc, but he can get that from his local operator
    02-10-2015 02:35 PM
    The easiest answer is IT DEPENDS.

The Verizon model? It'll work, the question becomes how well. Make sure the bands line up decently with the carrier of his choice and that he won't mind losing MMS and maybe tethering.

The AT&T and T-Mo models will probably need to be unlocked, and I can't say that will be easy.
    02-10-2015 07:19 PM
    True :) Look for factory unlocked phones
    02-10-2015 09:13 PM
    Yes,all Verizon phones are GSM unlocked :) My One M8 works fine here in the Netherlands on 3G/HSPA+, and so did my Lumia 928. 4G doesn't work though, but I knew that before I decided to get it. I don't think AT&T works here since they are CMDA which is American only (or at least not compactible with NL/GER since we basically use the same bands.

MMS works out of the box here and APN was pretty easy to fix in my case. Best of luck!
    ven07 likes this.
    02-11-2015 11:37 AM
    Yes,all Verizon phones are GSM unlocked :) My One M8 works fine here in the Netherlands on 3G/HSPA+, and so did my Lumia 928. 4G doesn't work though, but I knew that before I decided to get it. I don't think AT&T works here since they are CMDA which is American only (or at least not compactible with NL/GER since we basically use the same bands.

MMS works out of the box here and APN was pretty easy to fix in my case. Best of luck!
    Verizon and Sprint are the only CDMA based carriers. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM like the rest of the world. The Verizon LTE phones, are "world phones" and will function on GSM by swapping the sim card. An unlocked AT&T/T-Mobile phone will work on all GSM carriers. The caveat is that the 4g bands may differ from your carrier, leaving you at 3g/hspa+ only.
    ven07 and Narathan like this.
    02-11-2015 11:46 AM
    Lte / 4G will not work since Germany uses 3,7,20 and these doesn't get used in USA (what I can see on GsmArena it is two different models ) .
    In my opinion 4G is very important, not because of the speed, but the coverage is way better (800mhz band in DK).

Besides that there could be some issues if the phone break down, the firmware can be different and the taxes and vat from an non EU country is pretty high too.

So nein, no, nej it can turn out to be terrible extensive :(
    ven07 and xandros9 like this.
    02-12-2015 02:59 PM
    Ok thank you for the answers my friend will now get himself a L830
    ven07 and xandros9 like this.
    02-15-2015 02:28 AM