The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-28-2017 01:39 PM
244 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Mine has gotten progressively worse with more freezes as I go on. (latest insider build) My Voicemail stopped the other day. No idea what to even do about that since I can't find a Verizon voicemail app in the store. Anyone know anything about that. Probably about to post a question on that. Camera is flaky and the freezes can affect anything. I have a lot of trouble going to speaker for instance. Most of the stuff works really well but there's a few nasties...

MG
    11-17-2015 01:23 AM
    Mine has gotten progressively worse with more freezes as I go on. (latest insider build)
    Agreed that things have gotten worse the longer I've run the build. I don't see freezes but I do get random reboots. Also start screen blank/draw issues. Also sometimes apps won't start/crash. Reboot fixes all of these things but it is starting to get annoying.
    Mallguvner likes this.
    11-18-2015 06:32 AM
    The latest build sure fixed a lot of things. But as of today I can say that a few things are still needed to stabilize the build. When carrying the phone and using the screen to answer a call. Pressing answer doesn't always do it. Putting a call on hold is much better then the last build but it's a pain at times. Using the Bluetooth and Cortana has been a pleasure and I really have decided pretty much that this phone is better made than the newest 950 yet doesn't have that camera. I have a Canon 50D w/ a bunch of really expensive glass and I might be over the craving. Going to the Microsoft Store in the morning with my buddy who works for Microsoft so I won't promise I'll behave but tonight I'm pretty determined that I can make it with the M8. Probably never been a better made Windows phone.

MG
    11-24-2015 09:05 PM
    Agreed that things have gotten worse the longer I've run the build. I don't see freezes but I do get random reboots. Also start screen blank/draw issues. Also sometimes apps won't start/crash. Reboot fixes all of these things but it is starting to get annoying.
    The latest build sure fixed a lot of things. But as of today I can say that a few things are still needed to stabilize the build. When carrying the phone and using the screen to answer a call. Pressing answer doesn't always do it. Putting a call on hold is much better then the last build but it's a pain at times. Using the Bluetooth and Cortana has been a pleasure and I really have decided pretty much that this phone is better made than the newest 950 yet doesn't have that camera. I have a Canon 50D w/ a bunch of really expensive glass and I might be over the craving. Going to the Microsoft Store in the morning with my buddy who works for Microsoft so I won't promise I'll behave but tonight I'm pretty determined that I can make it with the M8. Probably never been a better made Windows phone.

RobNHL... what does the name signify? I shoot pictures for a local high schools hockey team with the aforementioned camera. NHL mean anything in your name?

MG
    11-24-2015 09:08 PM
    Picked up a VZW One M8 and quickly ran the patched Preview for Developers app to get it running on T-Mobile. My next step was putting 10586.11 on it and it's fantastic. Hard to believe they fixed so much in such a short time from the builds released just a month or so ago.
    11-24-2015 10:40 PM
    I installed it today on a AT&T version it was running horrible so I rolled back to WP 8.1.
    11-24-2015 10:55 PM
    RobNHL... what does the name signify? I shoot pictures for a local high schools hockey team with the aforementioned camera. NHL mean anything in your name?
    I've been carrying that uname for a long time - since at least 1995 (Atari Explorer, Z*Net, & ST Report: ST Report: 20-Oct-95 #1141-2). I started using it when I still had time to be a big hockey fan (go Bolts!).
    11-25-2015 06:54 AM
    I have three questions about the Win10 experience on this phone:

1. Do Cortana's location-based reminders work consistently?
    2. Are you able to reliably calibrate the compass in any maps-based app that needs it?
    3. Does the HTC Camera app still work?

The HTC M8 appears to be in the first round of phones that will get the official update, but the carriers could delay that for months. It would be nice to know what to expect if I go the Insiders' route, especially for these three concerns.
    12-24-2015 12:13 AM
    I can only answer the third one - it works, but not good. The picture you see is quite slow, pictures are snapped slowly and location info is not saved. For this alone I use the MS Camera app.

I have three questions about the Win10 experience on this phone:

1. Do Cortana's location-based reminders work consistently?
    2. Are you able to reliably calibrate the compass in any maps-based app that needs it?
    3. Does the HTC Camera app still work?

The HTC M8 appears to be in the first round of phones that will get the official update, but the carriers could delay that for months. It would be nice to know what to expect if I go the Insiders' route, especially for these three concerns.
    12-24-2015 12:36 AM
    I can only answer the third one - it works, but not good. The picture you see is quite slow, pictures are snapped slowly and location info is not saved. For this alone I use the MS Camera app.
    But TBH the Microsoft Camera app is damn good. It can record 1080p 60FPS and quality is top notch, and the Camera takes really good pics, including HDR.
    12-25-2015 05:36 AM
    But TBH the Microsoft Camera app is damn good. It can record 1080p 60FPS and quality is top notch, and the Camera takes really good pics, including HDR.

I have HTC one m8 and I feel my HTC pics and videos look better than Ms camera
    12-27-2015 07:48 AM
    I'm giving the w10 beta a go today.

One question. Do games take advantage of w10? For instance, I also own a Galaxy S6 and my gf owns the iPhone 6. I downloaded and started playing Gods of Rome like crazy over the weekend on the HTC One 8.1 - because it's a free game, I decided to download it on the S6 as well and there is a HUGE difference in visuals/graphics. The Windows version looks very watered down and generic, it's lacking the lighting, shading and other effects that both her iPhone 6 and my Galaxy S6 have. Is this just a typical port to Windows or does W10 allow for better graphics?

I ask only because I'm wondering if this will become a trend. I don't see the HTC One as lacking in the hardware department.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    12-28-2015 12:56 PM
    Is anyone else having screen freeze after a phone call, and sometimes it only vibrates with incoming calls, it does not happen on every call but just enough to be very irritating, putting it to sleep and waking it up will unfreeze the screen.
    sumanthsuresh and aximtreo like this.
    12-29-2015 09:36 AM
    Is anyone else having screen freeze after a phone call, and sometimes it only vibrates with incoming calls, it does not happen on every call but just enough to be very irritating, putting it to sleep and waking it up will unfreeze the screen.
    Phone freeze after most calls yes.I just lock the screen and unlock it, it's back in Action.
    This is much better than my windows 8.1 updates where I had auto zoom auto mute and auto redial issues.
    The earlier preview build windows 10 , had to do frequent soft resets it used to
    Completely freeze and one bricked a phone too.

Other than this small freeze which gets fixed by screen lock and back, this version is so far no other major issues
    12-29-2015 06:58 PM
    Question for the experts in this forum...

With Win 10 update I finally wanted to start playing around with "casting" and connecting to a wireless display. Does this phone not support this functionality? If I try this on my Win 10 PC, I can see my Roku and my TV which I can throw things too wirelessly. But if I try this on my m8 using Win 10, say from within myTube! app, none of my supported devices can be seen?

I never tried any of this while on 8.1 and from what I see, you needed a dongle or some adapter to do this anyway?
    01-04-2016 01:44 PM
    Mine won't show picture background in the start screen. Any solutions yet?
    02-11-2016 05:54 AM
    I have never had problems with Background pictures on the start screen, I change mine weekly. I am running the latest build.
    02-12-2016 01:05 AM
    Mine won't show picture background in the start screen. Any solutions yet?
    I had this issue a couple of builds back - hard reset did it for me.
    02-13-2016 03:35 PM
    Hi, my HTC one m8 restarts randomly on windows phone 8, does it restart on win10

also, can i put it on a cellphone network if i do upgrade to win 10
    Last edited by Master_Jorn; 02-16-2016 at 12:49 AM. Reason: changed "HTC one m8 restarts" to "HTC one m8 restarts randomly"
    02-16-2016 12:47 AM
    Errors downloading outlook update... Anyone?
    02-16-2016 08:20 PM
    How has your experience been a year later with your M8? Do you still have/use it? I want to upgrade via the Insider program, but I'm really nervous about possibly having issues on a phone that's my daily driver.
    04-26-2016 01:13 PM
    The Release version runs extremely well and I use it daily and love it. Now I am not sure you can still get the insider program for the M8, I can no longer get fast or slow insider updates, but I did get the last full release update. So all I can really tell you, is try joining the insider program and if you can join on your M8, do the release download and enjoy your Windows 10 M8.
    spoonxii and aximtreo like this.
    04-27-2016 09:10 AM
    I'm downloading the "Insider Release Preview" now, so it seems to still work.

I'm sweating bullets, though. Curse you, Microsoft/HTC/AT&T for doing this to me! I owned fastest Windows Phone 8.1 device, purchased it new LESS THAN A YEAR AGO, promised that it would receive Windows 10 Mobile, and you ultimately left me out in the cold without a single reason given.
    04-27-2016 06:00 PM
    I'm downloading the "Insider Release Preview" now, so it seems to still work.

I'm sweating bullets, though. Curse you, Microsoft/HTC/AT&T for doing this to me! I owned fastest Windows Phone 8.1 device, purchased it new LESS THAN A YEAR AGO, promised that it would receive Windows 10 Mobile, and you ultimately left me out in the cold without a single reason given.

That's why when I get an iPhone I'm switching, I can't deal with this crap that Microsoft/HTC is giving the m8.
    04-27-2016 10:35 PM
    That's why when I get an iPhone I'm switching, I can't deal with this crap that Microsoft/HTC is giving the m8.
    Microsoft isn't giving the M8 a bunch of crap. It's giving it the latest OS of Win 10 that can run on an over 2 year old phone. I just upgraded to the newest pre-release version this morning an it seems to e quite stable. I think you will find the grass to be the same brown shade for Ios as it is for any over two year old phone.
    Kevin Hill2 and spoonxii like this.
    04-28-2016 07:57 AM
244 ... 56789 ...