I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on my HTC One M8 - Any questions?

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Windows Central Community,

This morning I went ahead and installed the Windows 10 Tech Preview on my HTC One M8 (for Windows, obviously!). Thought I'd throw a post out here related specifically to the M8 until the device is officially supported and to answer any questions people might have about it.

So far Win10 is running well - I haven't noticed a significant decrease in battery life yet today and it is very smooth. I have yet to come across any lag, stuttering, or freezing at all. The device did heat up while it was doing a restore of my apps/settings (I decided to do a reset after I installed the preview just to make sure everything went smooth). I have the M8 synced up to my Band and my car via Bluetooth with no issues and have all my standard apps installed - everything is working well so far with no crashes.

There were some issues that were seen in the 730 forum that also are relevant here.
1) You cannot hide the on-screen navigation bar.
2) You cannot set a background image, or rather - you can but it will not be displayed (except for a split second when you are navigating away from the home page)

If anyone has questions related to Win10 on the M8, just ask away!

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Sure thing! One thing that I forgot to mention is that the HTC System Apps do NOT work right now; they are like the Glance Screen app which is also not working on Lumia devices. This means that the Dot View case does not work

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a link since I'm mobile right now, but there was a post earlier that had some info from the XDA Developers forum. After playing with the preview today though, I would not recommend that you install the preview; at least not until a newer build comes out to fix some of the known issues. That is doubly true if you only have the M8, I'm lucky enough to have a few devices I can use for development and testing otherwise I would never had installed the TP on mine

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
You are brave. With everything I've read, even if it was easily available I would pass right now. Not being able to hide the nav buttons would be a pain, alot of apps don't scale with them as it is.

Does the restore function work if needed? Oh and can you edit the mms apn btw, I know some people might be interested in that.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
You are brave. With everything I've read, even if it was easily available I would pass right now. Not being able to hide the nav buttons would be a pain, alot of apps don't scale with them as it is.

Does the restore function work if needed? Oh and can you edit the mms apn btw, I know some people might be interested in that.

You're right about the always on Nav Bar - some Apps just don't play quite right without the extra space. I haven't looked at the recovery tool yet to see if I can use it with the M8, but my gut says not quite yet.

I am on AT&T, but my MMS APN settings have disappeared (I can edit my Internet APN settings though)

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
any thoughts on the camera? New and improved?

I haven't used the camera enough since the upgrade to say this definitively, but it looks like I'm still getting much better shots out of the HTC Camera App. That said though, it is nice to have the familiar Lumia Camera interface after having used it on the 1020 and 1520

osumorris2315

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Installed on my Verizon m8 today. Everything works besides system apps and the navigation bar. I'm just worried I won't be able to change back to the full HTC suite because the hack changes your phones identity to a Lumia phone.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset after the install, so my changes were reverted and my phone is an HTC again ;)

Some of that information is also saved in your Firmware (which isn't changed by the hack), so you should be okay. Worst case, you can just go into settings->system->about and reset your phone

osumorris2315

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok great. I'll try that out is there anyway to revert back to 8.1 tho?. Also does resetting the phone fix the system(oem) apps!? Thanks.

Last edited:

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Start screen backgrounds aren't working for me - it did work in the old 8.1 style if I restored from the old backup, but once I changed the picture then it stopped working.

I'm sure you already figured it out already, but a hard reset unconfigured your phone for the Insider app. If a new build comes out that does NOT support the One, then you'll need to go through those steps again

osumorris2315

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Here you go, seems pretty stable to me. Only thing that made me nervous was when the screen went black and then came up with a (!) after reboot. A simple soft reset took care of it though.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150220_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20150220_0001.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 31
  • wp_ss_20150220_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20150220_0002.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 29
  • wp_ss_20150220_0003.jpg
    wp_ss_20150220_0003.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 29
  • wp_ss_20150220_0004.jpg
    wp_ss_20150220_0004.jpg