I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on my HTC One M8 - Any questions?

KMN62

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
On the M8, did you have 10080, rolled back to 8.1 via the Recovery tool and updated to 10036...or....did you go from 8.1 straight to 10036?

I'm using 10080 right now and have the start screen just how I like it. I'm curious if 10036 keeps it pretty much in tack or does it mess with it.

I've watched the Winbeta video on the changes, and I'm not too sure that the changes are enough to make me want to leave the devil that I know to something new with different bugs...

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
With the latest build I have to say I'm ready to give this a try as daily driver again. Apps load a bit slower compared to 8.1 but Gabe mentioned they would focus on this in later builds.

Took me a few hard resets (around four) because restoring from a backup made the phone lock up with apps not working.

Only thing that slightly bothers me is that I can't hide the nav bar and can't download additional keyboard languages. But I guess the language packs aren't up yet. Other then that, very responsive!

Anyone else having a weird gradient on their letters when you search for an app? Seems very Vista like. Brings back some good memories, but looks ugly as f*ck, haha.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
With the latest build I have to say I'm ready to give this a try as daily driver again. Apps load a bit slower compared to 8.1 but Gabe mentioned they would focus on this in later builds.

Took me a few hard resets (around four) because restoring from a backup made the phone lock up with apps not working.

Only thing that slightly bothers me is that I can't hide the nav bar and can't download additional keyboard languages. But I guess the language packs aren't up yet. Other then that, very responsive!

Anyone else having a weird gradient on their letters when you search for an app? Seems very Vista like. Brings back some good memories, but looks ugly as f*ck, haha.

I haven't given it a shot yet, but I am starting to get tempted. It sounds like this build is a big improvement over the last one.

dougmor2000

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Tried to update to 10166 today and got the sad face icon, then the blue screen of death. It says press the windows key to get to firmware settings but unfortunately, the windows key does not show on the M8. Frustrating. The recovery tool does not recognize the device at all. It's now officially a brick.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Tried to update to 10166 today and got the sad face icon, then the blue screen of death. It says press the windows key to get to firmware settings but unfortunately, the windows key does not show on the M8. Frustrating. The recovery tool does not recognize the device at all. It's now officially a brick.
Ouch.......

Dizzymash

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I upgrade to 10166 without any install issues. The phone was sluggish went it first started up and then got much better after all the apps loaded. The double tap to wake and Mobile hotspot don't work for me. Someone said on a different thread that HTC does the double tap to wake. I had the same two issues on the previous build. I did a hard reset and that didn't help.
The battery life is better than the previous builds for my phone. The text size and charging battery icon are much better in this version. Apps are downloading as expected now and the notification screen is not as picky when trying to touch something. I would hit the power button to close notifications on the previous version.

danielgray

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Just put it on my 635, I haven't got the start screen yet. It has been 4 hours, it keeps saying loading. I do have 200- 300 apps. Is this normal?

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

Still your daily driver???

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
It's the same hardware, but unfortunately, there's no way to change over yet. At the time of release, the M8 needed to have a Windows license purchased for it - which the Android version did not. Even though later they made WP free, and Windows 10 will be a free upgrade, without that original license, you're pretty well stuck.

That said, Microsoft is rumored to be testing a "non-reversible" conversion for Android devices to Windows 10 for Mobile. If that's true, it will give a bunch of people an option to run last year's flagships with Windows 10. Again, it is just a rumor, but who knows...

repeating

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I ended up half-bricking my phone half an hour after updating. I'm on a T-Mobile M8. It was boot-looping going to spinning gears, then sad face, reboot, repeat. I was having trouble getting the Recovery Tool to recognize the phone when you get to the step where it tells you to go to the bootloader. I tried every possible solution I found online. I found a solution. It ended up that I had to SPECIFICALLY set windows to auto-install driver software. I even tried troubleshooting from device manager with no resolution. Once I let windows auto-install the driver it went from saying "USB BLDR" in device manager to saying "HTC USB Sync". After that, I was able to get WPRT to recognize the phone, no problem, and do a restore. I hope this is helpful to someone else.

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I installd W10 on my T-mobile M8 yesterday. Everything is working fine so far. I had uninstall/reinstall some apps that were crashing (like Microsoft Health). THe only thing that bothers me is the lag when unlocking the phone. It takes few seconds to show my screen. Sometimes even get a "resuming..." screen for 1 or 2 seconds. Any one else experiencing this lag?

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I get that on all my devices too (like the 1520) - not just on the One. It's just an issue in the build that I'm sure will be resolved in the next one. Hopefully we get a new build soon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05