I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on my HTC One M8 - Any questions?

Serotoxin v1

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm giving the w10 beta a go today.

One question. Do games take advantage of w10? For instance, I also own a Galaxy S6 and my gf owns the iPhone 6. I downloaded and started playing Gods of Rome like crazy over the weekend on the HTC One 8.1 - because it's a free game, I decided to download it on the S6 as well and there is a HUGE difference in visuals/graphics. The Windows version looks very watered down and generic, it's lacking the lighting, shading and other effects that both her iPhone 6 and my Galaxy S6 have. Is this just a typical port to Windows or does W10 allow for better graphics?

I ask only because I'm wondering if this will become a trend. I don't see the HTC One as lacking in the hardware department.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone else having screen freeze after a phone call, and sometimes it only vibrates with incoming calls, it does not happen on every call but just enough to be very irritating, putting it to sleep and waking it up will unfreeze the screen.

sumanthsuresh

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone else having screen freeze after a phone call, and sometimes it only vibrates with incoming calls, it does not happen on every call but just enough to be very irritating, putting it to sleep and waking it up will unfreeze the screen.

Phone freeze after most calls yes.I just lock the screen and unlock it, it's back in Action.
This is much better than my windows 8.1 updates where I had auto zoom auto mute and auto redial issues.
The earlier preview build windows 10 , had to do frequent soft resets it used to
Completely freeze and one bricked a phone too.

Other than this small freeze which gets fixed by screen lock and back, this version is so far no other major issues

JLP

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Question for the experts in this forum...

With Win 10 update I finally wanted to start playing around with "casting" and connecting to a wireless display. Does this phone not support this functionality? If I try this on my Win 10 PC, I can see my Roku and my TV which I can throw things too wirelessly. But if I try this on my m8 using Win 10, say from within myTube! app, none of my supported devices can be seen?

I never tried any of this while on 8.1 and from what I see, you needed a dongle or some adapter to do this anyway?

Master_Jorn

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi, my HTC one m8 restarts randomly on windows phone 8, does it restart on win10

also, can i put it on a cellphone network if i do upgrade to win 10

Last edited:

Ray Robertson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
How has your experience been a year later with your M8? Do you still have/use it? I want to upgrade via the Insider program, but I'm really nervous about possibly having issues on a phone that's my daily driver.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The Release version runs extremely well and I use it daily and love it. Now I am not sure you can still get the insider program for the M8, I can no longer get fast or slow insider updates, but I did get the last full release update. So all I can really tell you, is try joining the insider program and if you can join on your M8, do the release download and enjoy your Windows 10 M8.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm downloading the "Insider Release Preview" now, so it seems to still work.

I'm sweating bullets, though. Curse you, Microsoft/HTC/AT&T for doing this to me! I owned fastest Windows Phone 8.1 device, purchased it new LESS THAN A YEAR AGO, promised that it would receive Windows 10 Mobile, and you ultimately left me out in the cold without a single reason given.

Master_Jorn

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm downloading the "Insider Release Preview" now, so it seems to still work.

I'm sweating bullets, though. Curse you, Microsoft/HTC/AT&T for doing this to me! I owned fastest Windows Phone 8.1 device, purchased it new LESS THAN A YEAR AGO, promised that it would receive Windows 10 Mobile, and you ultimately left me out in the cold without a single reason given.

That's why when I get an iPhone I'm switching, I can't deal with this crap that Microsoft/HTC is giving the m8.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
That's why when I get an iPhone I'm switching, I can't deal with this crap that Microsoft/HTC is giving the m8.

Microsoft isn't giving the M8 a bunch of crap. It's giving it the latest OS of Win 10 that can run on an over 2 year old phone. I just upgraded to the newest pre-release version this morning an it seems to e quite stable. I think you will find the grass to be the same brown shade for Ios as it is for any over two year old phone.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It's giving it the latest OS of Win 10 that can run on an over 2 year old phone.

But that's just it. They aren't. The "latest OS of Win 10" that could run on the M8 would be actual Win 10, not the preview. From what I can tell, the M8 was among, if not the, fastest Windows Phone 8.1 devices released, and runs the preview beautifully. Presumably because of the low install base, MS/HTC decided not to pay carriers to test and release Windows 10 for it.

That means, I believe, that the M8 is effectively abandoned. I have to imagine iOS upgrades at least include two generations before, much less one generation (two years old or not, the M8 is the immediately previous generation to Windows 10, and lesser phones are receiving the upgrade).

All that said, I installed it last night, and it's running like a champ, even without a hard reset. If I knew it was going to be so seamless, I would have done it months ago! My about screen reads:

Version 1511
OS Build: 10.0.10586.107

Am I on the best/latest build for HTC One M8? Has anyone on the M8 seen their version magically start getting post-release builds?

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I wonder how you got 218? Does it have to do with your carrier? Does that mean you're on the actual branch that will receive future updates?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb