I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on my HTC One M8 - Any questions?

Bill Berry

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I rolled back to 8.1 Update 2 and ran the Windows Insider and selected Insider Release Preview and it returned me to 10586.107; upon doing it again, I'm receiving the 10586.242 update. I'm with Straight Talk (Verizon Wireless) so we shall see if it improves upon 107. I've had a slow deterioration of the 10586.107 build to the point my email sync would no longer work. I'm hoping that whatever preview build we Windows M8 owners are forced to settle on will be close enough to the final version despite the broken promises made by Microsoft and HTC; one can hope, they'll change their minds. Love my M8W.

markryb

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Just a FYI ... I have been running 10586.242 for several days... no "glitches" found yet (noticeable improvement from last build )...
did a soft reset after installation due to battery state of charge malfunction (was dropping while charging after update) / no problems after reset

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to try this and see if I can get build 242. I signed up and only got build .107... Some things I like. Text is a little easier to read, lots more stuff in the top pull down menu. Lock code numbers don't have any grey out; literally just the numbers. Text messaging app is rather sluggish. Dividers between tiles on start menu are smaller than 8.1 GDR. I'll follow your lead and see if I can get 242 loaded and compare... Battery life seems okay; not quite as good as 8.1.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
This seems odd, but I'm posting it in case it helps someone else with a similar issue. I've been pinging the update checker about every 2 hours and it shows me nothing. I went back into the windows insider app, to sign out and roll back to 8.1 GDR...but as I hit the sign out the screen said the phone was ready to get a pre-production version. v1511, or build .318. Installing now, so we'll see what happens.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
This seems odd, but I'm posting it in case it helps someone else with a similar issue. I've been pinging the update checker about every 2 hours and it shows me nothing. I went back into the windows insider app, to sign out and roll back to 8.1 GDR...but as I hit the sign out the screen said the phone was ready to get a pre-production version. v1511, or build .318. Installing now, so we'll see what happens.
What happened? :)

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Any update to the .318 install?
So far it seems pretty good. Battery drain is still higher than 8.1, as I can't get to 36hrs without using battery saver at the 50% mark, but I haven't tried turning off any functions yet.
Cortana is a little quirky with responding to texts. Sometimes it doesn't finish the chime after saying "sent" until I unlock the phone. And it won't respond until I do. The selfie camera causes a panic or crash each time I try it. Edge originally wouldn't open any pages, but would hang. It opens some pages now, but I already installed Surfy and use it as my browser. I reported these thru Windows feedback.

Jmmorales

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
Agree with the camera issue my wife has the same issue any other known issues I should look out for???

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft just pushed build .420 to my phone overnight, so I installed that this am. So far so good. Maybe a day or two prior to this, I had followed some advice elsewhere here on WindowsCentral and did a hard reset of the phone, as the message trail indicated that should help battery life. Thus far, I don't see any difference. So, don't be in a hurry with a hard reset...

Finally figured out where the Cortana settings are!?!?! There is a little set of horizontal lines in the upper left screen corner when Cortana is up. Tap that, and you'll see some options. Tap the notebook and you'll see more options, including settings. Now...you can set Cortana to respond based on what type of connection you have. I like bluetooth and wired headsets, as the wife's car has bluetooth and my truck doesn't. I was pretty upset when I did the hard reset, and Cortana no longer read texts to me...to the point I about went back to 8.1. Here's a page at Microsoft that talks to it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-cortanas-notebook-mobile

There is one thing I don't care for in Win10 Mobile. The office products require an Office 365 subscription in order to edit them. But you can read-only them all day.

Good news about build .420. The front/selfie camera issue is fixed. Thank you Microsoft. Also, Groove seems to work better. I synced with my Mac and re-added my podcasts and music after the hard reset, and it seems a little better than .318. Surfy, however, seems to be having issues now on .420. Good news is Edge seems to open more webpages for me than it used to. Still hangs on some, but not all.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
For build .420 below is the official list of fixes improvements:
This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

Improved reliability of Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Cortana, audio playback, audio playback in Groove Music app, Maps app, Miracast, and Windows Explorer.

Fixed issue with balloon tip notifications always appearing in the upper left side of the screen.

Fixed issue that caused VPN to not work properly when switching between different network interfaces (for example, switching between Wi-Fi and cellular).

Improved Narrator?s ability to read bulleted lists, hyperlinks, and image information.

Fixed issue in location that caused navigation apps to lag behind user?s actual location.

Improved performance of loading webpages in Internet Explorer 11 when roaming user profiles are used.

Fixed issue that caused phones to stop ringing from an incoming call, if interrupted by an SMS.

Fixed issue that caused some phones to be unable to re-add a primary Microsoft account without resetting after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1.

Fixed additional issues with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Bluetooth, Cortana, Wi-Fi, Windows Camera app, revised daylight saving time, USB, TPM, Graphics, Group Policy, downloading music or movies purchased through the Windows Store, Network Diagnostics and Windows Explorer.

Fixed security issues with Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Server Message Block (SMB) Server, Microsoft Graphics Component, Group Policy, DNS Server, Windows Diagnostic Hub, Kernel mode drivers, Microsoft Windows PDF, Windows Structured Query, Adobe Flash Player, JScript and VBScript, and Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol (WPAD).

For more info about the security fixes in this update and a complete list of affected files, see KB3163018.

Source

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
After reading this thread, I installed Windows Insider then installed the "Insider Release Preview" not the other 2 options "Insider Fast or Insider Slow". It installed Version 1511, build 10.0.10586.107. After I set up everything, I re-read the post and saw others had builds up to .420? I went back into Windows Insider and set it up to "Inside fast" which says it gives me the newest releases before "insider slow" (some bugs worked out) and "insider release preview" (more bugs worked out). I still have vr. 1511 build .107. I've checked for updates many times but it always says my phone is up to date? Ideas how to get to .410? Otherwise, I'm happy with W10 so far EXCEPT:
-crazy fast Battery Drain and the phone gets hot (I think is due to Backup Asst. Plus since it was using 70+% under Battery use (I don't use it since it is a stupid option since we have the full back up and our Outlook has all our contacts). I then allowed it to sync then shut off the auto sync to see if it will stop running since there is no shut off or way to uninstall), also did a soft reboot then just recharged so will see if that helped
-I did a manual backup yesterday when I was finished with everything and auto backup is set to "on" but when I checked today it didn't backup at 3am as usual. I'll check it again tomorrow to make sure it is auto-backing up
-Attentive Phone options don't work (all are set up correctly)
-Can't see/answer/ignore the phone ringing on the Dot View screen. Have to open the Dot View flap to answer calls on the main screen and don't even see an ignore option
-Main screen goes to the log on key board and allows swipe down to main screen. This is backwards as it should start in main screen and swipe up to sign in?
-Edge works fine and surfs fast (other said they were having probs?) However;
- Edge in all W10 devices has some major issues with Favorites (terrible sorting, accessing and doesn't sync properly with all my W10 devices)
-Doesn't allow the Norton Add on (but I'm told Norton still scans websites for me and I see the Norton Safe icon beside links when I'm searching so guess it does?
- Form Fill is on but doesn't work. No word suggestions when filling in info, not even account names... lame

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with the phone not getting the updates. I just un-enrolled from the preview, then re-enrolled and selected Release Preview. I'm now on .420.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
That worked. .420 is downloading now. Thanks.... I did find that on .107 the issued with my Apps having no sounds on the Locked screen was due to Dot View. It's an "extra" but it doesn't work. I unchecked it and App sounds are working fine so Dot View still needs work. Also, without Dot on, Attentive Phone works for all options except auto-answer still doesn't work. Another found issue is the Announcement sound doesn't work on my second email account though I have a sound set up and tried numerous different sounds. Will check all with .420 download and update.

vadim frunza

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
On my new lumia 950 which I bought a few days ago I installed latest non insider build which is .420 and fixed a lot of issues which I noticed as soon as I started to use it. works great now. pretty quick and I can honestly say its a pretty good with minimal issue build.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
W10 works great and can use all the Apps W8.1 has/is discontinued. Here are my found issues with W10 build.420.

-By far the worst problem is strong battery drain caused by Backup Asst. Plus running 70-80% of resources and can't be uninstalled or turned off. (Fix in next few posts...basically, just do a factory reset)
-Auto backup doesn't work though it is set. Have to backup manually daily
-Dot View has lots of problems so I'm not using it (biggest is that it doesn't allow App notifications)
-Attentive Phone Auto answer doesn't work
-Edge problems but they are the same as W10 for PC/tablets.
-Favorites are terrible to use
-Form fill is weak
-Norton Add-on not allowed

Last edited:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Since the M8 isn't a supported phone I doubt the development team cares what issues are occurring with the updated builds and HTC phones. I wouldn't think so anyways.

Sent from my Surface 3

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I've tried working with W10 Phone Preview tec support who couldn't help so sent me to Verizon who also couldn't help trying to uninstall Backup Asst. Plus as it is using up all my battery life even though it is set not to sync. It runs 70-80% of my system resources. Verizon even deleted all by Verizon Cloud data. Nothing worked. Because I can only get about 4 hrs. of batter life even though I have Batter Saver set to start at 90% and have shut off most background Apps, I will have to go back to 8.1 as my phone is useless with such short battery life. I can deal with the other few W10 Phone issues and I like it a lot so it's a shame I can't fix the battery life issue. I'll keep up with this string to see how you all are doing and maybe try the Preview again if battery life, Backup Asst. Plus issue gets resolved.

mar100

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Backup Assistant Plus is death to battery life and it can't be removed or disabled. You must factory reset the phone and not setup BAP. I am back to normal battery life. I assume the windows reset would work (settings/about/ reset your phone) but because BAP killed my charge I had to do a reset via hardware. I could find no other solution. On the upside the reset works well. It wiped my data but it was saved and restored by my MS account and it didn't revert to wp 8.1. After reset I ran setup logged in and all was good.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Same thing just happened. I've been running build .420 for about a month. I am on the slow ring, but my understanding was updates rolled out roughly each month, so I wondered why the update gizmo didn't show me anything. So, I went to Windows Insider, told it I wanted to bow out, hit the button. But before it could finish processing that, I hit the back arrow and it told me the production pre-release was ready. Build .494. Not sure why this has persisted. Anyone else with an M8 (or without, for that matter) have this issue?
P.S. I am installing .494 now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss