Roll back to 8.1. Recovery tool not working with HTC One M8

ksmithservices

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
For some reason... The Recovery Tool isn't seeing my phone... Even in the "!" Mode. Someone help me roll back!! Is it because it sees my phone as a Nokia due to the Chinese hack certificate?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8. Trying to roll back to 8.1. 10 is crap on my phone. The recovery tool not working

The recovery tool is only for Microsoft/Nokia Lumias. There is no way at present to reflash an HTC One M8, so you are unfortunately stuck until they update the Windows Insider program to support the M8, which is probably about a month away at best.

Hopefully this is not your primary phone

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The recovery tool would and will never work on another phone brand, it is exclusive to lumias, so the recovery tool won't work on your phone, what where you even thinking hacking windows 10 with a xda or Chinese hack that tricks Microsoft severs into thinking that your phone was or is a Lumia 630 just to get windows 10, and just go back to 8.1 when you feel like? Is not even that easy to roll back with a Lumia model that's hacked ie if you didn't remember to change your phone model back to the real number ir model rather then the 630,
So, sorry dude, just wait till Ms finds a fix for you or releases another windows 10 update, but remember to change your phone model back to htc m8

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8. Trying to roll back to 8.1. 10 is crap on my phone. The recovery tool not working

That really sucks for you. Next time rtm

ksmithservices

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
The recovery tool would and will never work on another phone brand, it is exclusive to lumias, so the recovery tool won't work on your phone, what where you even thinking hacking windows 10 with a xda or Chinese hack that tricks Microsoft severs into thinking that your phone was or is a Lumia 630 just to get windows 10, and just go back to 8.1 when you feel like? Is not even that easy to roll back with a Lumia model that's hacked ie if you didn't remember to change your phone model back to the real number ir model rather then the 630,
So, sorry dude, just wait till Ms finds a fix for you or releases another windows 10 update, but remember to change your phone model back to htc m8

Worse case I'll replace it. LOL

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
They are going to allow the m8 to roll back once they release the preview for it. The tool is separate from the Lumia Software Recovery Tool, even though it looks very familiar

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
For some reason... The Recovery Tool isn't seeing my phone... Even in the "!" Mode. Someone help me roll back!! Is it because it sees my phone as a Nokia due to the Chinese hack certificate?

Back in the day, HTC released a ROM/RUU flasher to flash the stock OS back on the phone. I know they release it for Android....try looking on the HTC website or XDA to see if there's one.

Edit: Looking around on XDA, seems that there is one (unofficially) for the Verizon M8 (Windows). Not sure what carrier you have?

On the XDA forum I found this to give you an idea that its possible to flash back to the stock WP 8.1 rom... (since I'm not linking from XDA, mods don't remove this)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=9sX6eLsGKTU

Last edited:

ksmithservices

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Back in the day, HTC released a ROM/RUU flasher to flash the stock OS back on the phone. I know they release it for Android....try looking on the HTC website or XDA to see if there's one.

Edit: Looking around on XDA, seems that there is one (unofficially) for the Verizon M8 (Windows). Not sure what carrier you have?

On the XDA forum I found this to give you an idea that its possible to flash back to the stock WP 8.1 rom... (since I'm not linking from XDA, mods don't remove this)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=9sX6eLsGKTU

Thanks for the response.

Im rocking a TMO version... So it that's Verizon.. Not sure if it would rebrand my phone... That wouldn't be good for me.

im getting used to this laggy OS and am just worried whether I'll get the next build or not. I think no matter what I'll have to reset the M8 otherwise the next build will be another Nokia and I need the HTC apps to get my Dot View case app back... I can't even use the case because it makes a permanent green frame around the screen till I restart.

Plus... MS shafted us with this build. Shoulda been the one he demoed. Sucks.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
You definitely want to hard reset your phone so that it resets the phone model and firmware information. If you get Nokia firmware your phone is toast. For now, I think you are safe if you turn off automatic updates

jonathan parziale

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone i found a solution, Factory reset your phone through the hardware, it brings you through the intial setup and it fixes the problem it must not be able to load your settings and preferences when it overwrites the other ram. In any case it fixed it for me the link i below do the hardware reset.
WARNING: Remember to make sure all you files stored on your phone is backed up just in case.
In the intial setup after you log onto your microsoft account choose to restore from previous phone it should be highlighted in blue if it selected.

I cant post links so do a google search for "windows phone recovery tool htc one m8" its the 6th link down, it is from htcs website

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb