What software features will be lost if switching to an HTC One M8 (for Windows) from a Lumia?

gaspy88

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia 920 which is now past it's contract leaving me free to roam the world of phone upgrades Caught in the dilemma of wanting to upgrade now but also wanting to wait and see what's coming up post Windows 10 I have considered switching over to the HTC One M8 for Windows. I wanted to see if there is a comprehensive list of software features Lumia Phones have, such as Glance Screen, that aren't on the HTC One M8 before making my final decision.

Thanks for the help!

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Glance is the big one, but there are a handful of Lumia apps that you may miss. But you can replace all the Lumia apps with 3rd party ones, glance and call blocking/ID are the ones you will lose and can't be replaced as they are hardware/firmware integrated functions.

You gain the IR blaster function as an M8 exclusive in return.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Lumia camera is nice. Won't get that. I personally didn't like the glance feature on my daughter's 830. So, that wasn't missed on my M8. I don't the big concern is loss of available apps when switching from a Lumia. It seems the big concern is product support. Lumias are Microsoft's, so the belief is they will give them better support than HTC to the M8. That has been historically true. I am not worried, though. HTC announced they will support M8 for 2 years. So, W10, I will be there.

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I hear the Lumia camera is actually coming to all Windows Phone devices at some point because it is now a Microsoft product?

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I hear the Lumia camera is actually coming to all Windows Phone devices at some point because it is now a Microsoft product?

If this is the case, not much true advantage to Lumia devices except W10 Technical Preview. Maybe, a new flagship device will change that for Lumia, but truth be told, there is nothing I have to have a Lumia to get.

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
a bit unrelated, but how exactly does glance work. Just it might not be that hardware specific and might be possible to install on a htc one m8. I do not know if it will work, but should be possible to install

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
a bit unrelated, but how exactly does glance work. Just it might not be that hardware specific and might be possible to install on a htc one m8. I do not know if it will work, but should be possible to install

Sorry to burst your bubble but it can't be done.

I'm sure it's technologically possible, but we don't have the permissions need to fiddle under the hood to make something like glance happen. And just installing the settings panel isn't going to work either.

The M8 does get the Dot Cover though.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3