This is my first official post ever on this forum. I'm on a countdown for the Windows 10 (10080) build update on my HTC M8. It is scheduled to upgrade tomorrow (5/20) at 3:00 p.m. I believe (I keep pressing "Not Now" when the update screen shows. However it will automatically update by tomorrow). I have read horror stories about this build. Some claim that their devices have been bricked by this update. Others say that it is very unstable. Very few, if any, have said it works well.

I read that the only way to stop the update is to do a hard reset on the phone. Should I just do a hard reset or risk it? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
    05-19-2015 03:33 PM
    If it's your daily driver, I would not risk it. Seems like it's too unstable.

If you do go the reset route, you can uncheck the option on the insider to auto-download/install new updates. Then, using backup, backup your phone. Things to think about that might not get backed up:

• Pictures (if you have auto-upload to OneDrive, you should be good. Just make sure it's uploaded everything at the quality you want.)
    • Videos (auto-upload to OneDrive should help here, too)
    • Music/ringtones on your phone
    • App data (I forgot to export my mileage tracker data before resetting. Fortunately it's not for work so it's not a big deal.) Not sure about game data.
    • Downloaded files
    • This is NOT an exhaustive list - just trying to help.

Then after it's backed up and you've unchecked the auto-install previews, hard reset your phone. When you restart, you can choose the option to restore from backup. It'll reinstall all your apps, set up the accounts you had set up (you may have to enter a password or two), restore you home screen, etc.

I did the above to avoid the auto-install and it wasn't too painful. The only thing I biffed on was my mileage data.

Good luck whatever road you choose!
    patojopunk and xandros9 like this.
    05-19-2015 04:26 PM
    So what did you end up doing?

I was faced with the same choice and went with reset. I've been testing 10 on my old 920 and it's horrid for the most part. The plus side is my M8 is running better than ever! Nothing like a reset to freshen things up.
    jdballard likes this.
    05-20-2015 09:29 PM
    I went ahead with the Windows 10 update (Build 10080) on the HTC One M8 and so far I have not been impressed at all. This is a very unstable build, but I was really impressed with what they did on the desktop version...guess it didnt translate that well to the phone. Anyway...I installed the udpate..and now I cant even find a way to go back to 8.1 even with the Windows Recovery Tool.

Hopefully MS pushes out a new build soon...anyone have any idea when the next build is scheduled for?
    05-20-2015 10:19 PM
    jdballard - Thank you so much for your info. It was really helpful. I actually ended up doing a hard reset and you were absolutely correct, it was not a pain at all. When I signed back in, all of my apps re-downloaded, my home screen layout was restored and best thing of all, Windows 10 is no longer trying to install. I will wait for a more stable build, or better yet, the completed one.

Thank you again!
    05-21-2015 01:13 PM
    I have it on my old Lumia 810. I haven't put it on the M8 because it's my daily driver. 10 has some great features, people just have to remember it's a technical preview, not developer preview. If it's your daily driver, I wouldn't do it yet. But, if you have something laying around...give it a spin. Some of the features are pretty great.
    05-21-2015 04:02 PM
    Thanks for the info. As soon as I saw 10 was finally available for preview on the One M8 I was tempted to give it a shot. The desktop version works fine as my daily driver on the SP3 and I tried the mobile preview on a Lumia 635 a few months ago.

Perhaps ill give it a try on HTC a few months from now if they work out the bugs.

I'm just hoping that the recent Verizon update is a sign they will be pushing 10 our just as fast once it is available for release.
    05-22-2015 08:46 AM