Xbox Changes File Names from OneDrive

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I have ditched the micro SD card for the most part and have been working on building my music folder on OneDrive. It works very well for me especially because I am on a wireless network all day and use very little data :winktongue:

I have the typical layout in the music folder with artists and inside the artist folder are the albums, then the individual audio files.

I have an artist that has audio teaching and I have created "album" folders and have named them with a two digit number followed by an underscore ie: 00_aaaaa, 01_bbbbb, 02_ccccc, up to 68_xyz because I do not want them in alphabetical order.

The Xbox app has issues with this apparently, it has changed the numbers on approximately six folders. It has dropped the first number in some cases and has changed both numbers in a couple cases.

I can open the OneDrive app on the phone and it shows correctly, I have deleted the effected folders with my PC and re-uploaded them using a different source file and it does not help.

This is only a problem in Xbox, anybody else have this issue?

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah Im finding that a couple of my songs have been actually named "8a" "1t" etc. Songs that I had full names for. Their file names dont change but their display name completely changed.

Quite annoying actually as there is no way to change them back. I may try deleting the library and recreating it and making sure media information gathering is off.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Two things:

1) Go into your OneDrive folder in File Explorer (on your Windows PC). Make sure the Details View is turned on. Now select the song file and check the details on the right. The Artist, Album, and Title can be edited/fixed there.

2) Xbox Music attempts to update files with data it finds on the Internet. I think you can disable that feature under Media Info (it attempts to update album art and meta data).

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Dewg, I don't have the music folder synced to this pc because of hard drive size so I will need to do that on another, but it isn't the file info I have found to be changed it is the folder name. The artist is OK, the albums in the artist folder have randomly been changed ONLY on the phone in the Xbox music app, the OneDrive app has them correct.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The Music app doesn't modify file system structure. When you look at Album or Artist info in the Music App, you're just looking at meta data in the files themselves. Organization at the file system is irrelevant to the app.

So if you see an album called "8a", that means one of the MP3 files has 8a in the album meta data field.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Dewg, I looked at the individual files in those folders and thank you the album info was miss typed by the source of the audio files.

Got them all straightened out now, and learned something too :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs