Cannot Restore with Windows Phone Recovery Tool

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Well well,
I had previously loaded W10 to my M8, and restored to W8.1 without much trouble, took me a couple of tries to get the boot loader screen on the phone but I can do that easily now, the recovery tool reads the phone, then the available software screen flashes up for 2 seconds or so, then it displays that the software was not found on the server.

I looked at another thread and the restore files are on this PC in C:\ProgramData\HTC\Packages\Products\0P6B1800-CWS_001 I moved the folder and get the same response, so it is back in place.

I have very little trouble using it, I want to use the M8 daily so am looking to restore to W8.1, should I try a different PC?

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem and it's been like this for over a week (not finding the software on the server). I'm running W10 Preview and I think it's on version 10149 and I wanted to update to the latest version but the phone isn't saying there's an update available. So I was going to roll it back to W8.1 but I'm getting the error with the recovery tool.

I found this thread on the Microsoft support forums: Getting Error message "Software Package Not found on server" - Microsoft Community

If you go to the second page it looks like other people who have the M8 on AT&T are having this problem and no one from MS is responding.

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
If you have the firmware folder on your PC with the two .nbh files and WPRT isn't working for you.

You can try using the standalone HTC Tool. Just extract it and copy the two .nbh files into the extracted folder. Rename them so its just RUU_SIGNED and UEFI_SIGNED.

As long as you are in the bootloader screen and the PC recognizes the phone it should start the reflash process automatically.

I've use it with my T-Mobile M8 instead of the Recovery Tool multiple times.

If it works successfully for you. It would be a great help if you uploaded the firmware somewhere to help others.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I do have the RUU and UEFI files, they are in the extracted folder now.

So just run the ROMUPDATEUTILITY.exe, get the phone to the white bootloader screen then connect the usb cable?

RealGis

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Are these files carrier independent? I have an HTC One M8 from ATT, wondering if I can use the files you've published. Is your device AT&T as well?
Thanks for your help!

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
This was in the folder path listed above from Windows Phone Recovery Tool, my phone is an HTC M8 from At&T.

I cannot tell you anything specific about the files.

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Here is the WP8.1 ROM and the standalone HTC ROM editor.

Link to ZIP files

HTC files are renamed already. Hope they work for you.

After you flashed it. In the about screen in settings what were the version for

Firmware:
Radio:
Bootloader:

?

Are these files carrier independent? I have an HTC One M8 from ATT, wondering if I can use the files you've published. Is your device AT&T as well?
Thanks for your help!

These files will work only on an AT&T M8 for Windows model. If you have this model, but are using a different simcard it will still work.

If you attempt to flash a wrong firmware onto the device. The RUU will fail and inform you of a wrong ModelID

RealGis

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Worked like a charm!!! I'm so happy I'm now out of that nightmare. But you all know first thing I'm going to do is to install the latest preview again ... :)

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to Ivalen91 for the procedure!
I did the same, 10149 was good, seems that 10166 is better. I decided to run it in my primary this weekend, so far so good. At this level of performance I will leave it installed.

Sai KV

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem of "software package not found on server" for my HTC one m8. I have downloaded the files mentioned above. So, what are the steps after that?

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Extract both folders. Move the .nbh files from the ROM folder into the RUU folder.

• Power off your device
  • Press and hold both the Volume Up and Volume Down keys
  • Continue to hold the volumes buttons and press the Power Button.
  • The device should power up (release the power button) and continue to hold both volume buttons
  • A white screen with barcodes and a series of text at the top should now be presented to you. This is the bootloader
  • Connect the device to your computer and allow windows to install drivers for it.
  • Once the Drivers are installed and the device is recognized lunch the ROM Update Utility from the extracted ROM .zip
  • A rectangle should appear after a short moment claiming to be verifying the information on your device.
  • If it sees your device the phone will immediately restart and show a black screen with green text. (this is the UEFI being flashed)
  • It will reboot after a short moment.
  • Once again you will be presented with a black green with green text. This screen will take longer since it is flashing the OS. You will see the files flashed (RPM, CP. Main OS etc)
  • Once it is Completed the Utility will say it was successful and your device will restart several times.
  • You will be presented with setup wizard and you may continue on from there.

This ROM is only for an AT&T branded HTC One M8 for Windows. It will not work for T-Mobile, Verizon, or any android device. Don't bother trying.

repeating

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I half-bricked my phone yesterday, this is the closest thing i have to advice: "I ended up half-bricking my phone half an hour after updating. I'm on a T-Mobile M8. It was boot-looping going to spinning gears, then sad face, reboot, repeat. I was having trouble getting the Recovery Tool to recognize the phone when you get to the step where it tells you to go to the bootloader. I tried every possible solution I found online. I found a solution. It ended up that I had to SPECIFICALLY set windows to auto-install driver software. I even tried troubleshooting from device manager with no resolution. Once I let windows auto-install the driver it went from saying "USB BLDR" in device manager to saying "HTC USB Sync". After that, I was able to get WPRT to recognize the phone, no problem, and do a restore. I hope this is helpful to someone else."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6