$180. Worth it?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I have an opportunity to buy a mint used M8 on AT&T for $180. I have the 1520 and love it, but the M8 is attractive as a smaller, more portable option from time to time.

Given that HTC has all but washed it's hands of WP (maybe the M9 changes that?) is this a wise move? I don't want something that is going to be totally abandoned (firmware wise, not TP/Win10 unofficial) in the near future.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
For 180$ its worth taking the risk. Especially if its in mint condition. Don't know about the future of getting W10 on it however. But if it runs fine with 8.1 and does what you want don't see the problem. I think there is going to be a lot of phones NOT getting W10, contrary to what they have been saying. I was ready to turn to Android as my main phone (was using 820) now but with the price of the 640 being what it is I went ahead and got it instead. I still have a Moto G with Android to keep up with what is going on with it. But I am not going to invest in a expensive WP until I am sure they are going to be around more than 2 years.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Cool, thanks. I went ahead and picked it up. Works great and was cheap, so there's that. I agree...I'm all about Cityman, but before dropping serious coin, I will see if this hyped "Windows 10 everything universal app all the things" actually pans out. I'm afraid developers and the general public will be "oh, that's neat but the iPhoen 6s/Samsung whatever is so much better!"

Microsoft has one chance to blow this up. Hope they don't screw it up.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
HTC said that the One will get Win10.

HTC is also still planning on being in business next year, but that might not be the case... A buyout looks like it may be looming in the near future. That said, the TP for Win10 runs just fine on the device and I have loved mine since day one. What I am truly hoping for is that MS releases the 'install package' that they talked about for installing WP on an Android device. I would love to take my M9 to WP if HTC doesn't do it for me.

Now, here's the deal on the coolest parts about the M8...

1) It has USB OTG hardware so all of the 'new' WP features should work with it out of the box. This includes Continuum and a few others that some Lumia's will not have support for.

2) The UP camera is pretty great for snapshots, just don't zoom it. It works stellar with the Microsoft Camera software.

3) This thing is a beast in the hardware department. I would say performance wise, it has to out-do every Lumia I've owned (and I have a 1520 right now also)...

It just rocks. Enjoy the new phone. It's a good one!

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I would agree with the above. While I believe that HTC will continue to be around, the M8 Windows phone is an excellent phone. I have had mine for less than a week and am highly impressed. I believe you will be as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes