New HTC One M8 Windows owner

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
OK, as of today, I am the owner of an HTC One M8 for Windows. I have had several different Lumias. The reason I have this phone is my Lumia 830 started acting up. So I took it to the Microsoft store for warranty. They no longer have it. It was either the Lumia 640XL or the One M8. No brainer obviously. Aside from losing the PureView camera's the Lumias are known for and the wireless charging, it seems like a great phone. My only gripes so far is that I can't get used to the virtual buttons, and I hate not having a dedicated camera button. I am debating on installing W10 on this device since it is my new daily driver. Anyone have great success with W10 on this device? Or should I hold out for an official launch. But that too is scary as HTC isn't always great with firmware updates and such.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
OK, as of today, I am the owner of an HTC One M8 for Windows. I have had several different Lumias. The reason I have this phone is my Lumia 830 started acting up. So I took it to the Microsoft store for warranty. They no longer have it. It was either the Lumia 640XL or the One M8. No brainer obviously. Aside from losing the PureView camera's the Lumias are known for and the wireless charging, it seems like a great phone. My only gripes so far is that I can't get used to the virtual buttons, and I hate not having a dedicated camera button. I am debating on installing W10 on this device since it is my new daily driver. Anyone have great success with W10 on this device? Or should I hold out for an official launch. But that too is scary as HTC isn't always great with firmware updates and such.

I have one and you'll find it is among the best Windows phones out there. Run, don't walk to update it Windows 10 Mobile. Its awesome with the latest build. Wireless charging is out as you already know. You don't have a dedicated camera button and that takes some getting used to. But, as far as how well it runs Windows 10 Mobile, it'll beat most Lumia in a walk.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I never used the dedicated camera button on the 830 anyways, and it as pretty easy to get used to onscreen buttons. I liked that you could hide them on the M8 - can't do that on the 640.

I sold my M8, and went to the 640 to raise some cash. The buyer didn't like it and is returning it. I may have to just keep it - it's a great phone.

FWIW - I used a Ghostek Blitz case on mine that I liked.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There are a few bugs in W10M and the battery life isn't that great compared to 8.1 BUT the improvements, faster multitasking (less loading/resuming), Edge browser, etc in W10M definitely outweigh all of the cons IMO.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a 950 and an M8 because I couldn't make up my mind on which to buy. I still can't decide which I like better. They both are great phones, I just wish I had upgraded my 920 with am M8 long ago.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
OK I am starting to get the hang of it, but looks like I need to buy a Dot View case. I miss having the Glance screen and the Dot View case is the closest I'll get to Glance on this phone. Looks like ima have to start amazon and ebay searching for them

JANGEL13

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
OK I am starting to get the hang of it, but looks like I need to buy a Dot View case. I miss having the Glance screen and the Dot View case is the closest I'll get to Glance on this phone. Looks like ima have to start amazon and ebay searching for them

Does the M8 support Hey Cortana?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

All you have to do is double tap the screen, and you have everything that would have had on Glance.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Does the M8 support Hey Cortana?
Currently, the HTC One M8 only has WP 8.1 on it which has Cortana Beta on it. You cannot use the Hey Cortana feature in beta version. I don't know if the W10M test builds allow for this feature, but I assume the proper W10M build will include it.

JANGEL13

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Currently, the HTC One M8 only has WP 8.1 on it which has Cortana Beta on it. You cannot use the Hey Cortana feature in beta version. I don't know if the W10M test builds allow for this feature, but I assume the proper W10M build will include it.

That sucks. I had to make an insurance claim on my 1020 but Asurion doesn't carry it anymore so they had to give me the M8. I was hoping that it supported Hey Cortana. Oh well, its not really a deal breaker. I plan on putting 10 on it when I finally get it in the mail

JANGEL13

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
None of the HTC apps or features work in windows 10 mobile. Keep that in mind.

I haven't owned a HTC since my Arrive so I don't know much about their apps or features. I guess I'll play with it for a few days before I make a decision on win10. Thanks for the heads up!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't owned a HTC since my Arrive so I don't know much about their apps or features. I guess I'll play with it for a few days before I make a decision on win10. Thanks for the heads up!
Ah a fellow Arrive owner. HTC has a hub for news stuff. That works. If you have one of those dot cases, that surprisingly works too. I own one but I find these type hinge cases are ultimately an odd combo. For me at least. But on W10M, it works.

JANGEL13

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I loved the Arrive and it's keyboard. That thing was awesome.
I have the M8 now and I'm not really all that impressed...so far. I know not much can come close to my 1020 but the M8's camera is not very good. It will get the job done for a while though. I need to get a case but I'm not sure what I will get. I'll have to do some research

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss