Is HTC breaking it's "HTC Advantage" promise?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Short answer is actually, "No, they aren't breaking a promise."

From the HTC Advantage TOS - Now when customers buy any HTC One they can rest assured their device will be future proofed, with major Android updates for 2 years from launch. And it?s nearly accident proof too, because we will replace a broken screen for free once within the first 6 months you own it?let?s face it accidents do happen and we want to keep your device in great condition.

If I read that correctly, it only guarantees Android updates for 2 years. There is nothing about Windows upgrades at all in the legalize... Sorry... It may not be right that they skip it, but they are under no obligation to make it happen.

That is what is says now. What did it say a year ago when people were still buying the M8?

Sent from my Surface 3

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

From the HTC Advantage TOS - Now when customers buy any HTC One they can rest assured their device will be future proofed, with major Android updates for 2 years from launch. And it’s nearly accident proof too, because we will replace a broken screen for free once within the first 6 months you own it—let’s face it accidents do happen and we want to keep your device in great condition.

If I read that correctly, it only guarantees Android updates for 2 years. There is nothing about Windows upgrades at all in the legalize... Sorry... It may not be right that they skip it, but they are under no obligation to make it happen.

Just looked 2 minutes ago, this is what is on the website...
And if you click on the "updates", it says 2 years of updates. No comment.

Clipboard-1.jpg

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

From the HTC Advantage TOS - Now when customers buy any HTC One they can rest assured their device will be future proofed, with major Android updates for 2 years from launch. And it’s nearly accident proof too, because we will replace a broken screen for free once within the first 6 months you own it—let’s face it accidents do happen and we want to keep your device in great condition.

Ironically, when you follow the link about Android Upgrades, it leads to a page that specifically mentions "Windows Phone releases."

Also, using Archive.org, I noticed that the page really hasn't changed much since it was first archived in July of 2014. However, it was deliberately changed in August of 2014 to add the HTC One M8 for Windows to the list.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Fine. They are still breaking their promise. That is, unless they provide a way to load the current version of ANDROID on all One M8 for Windows devices.

I said this before, there are protections against consumers, and HTC is violating them. This situation is ripe for a class action law suit.

sotoszx

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi all m8 windows lovers. Sorry, the truth is that now the M8w is a dead phone. Htc is the worst company, i do not know if avoid bankruptcy, but It is beneficial for us only one thing, to find a way to upgrade our phones to android.
I read and watch your forum but this is the first time I write. Sorry for my English, the SOLUTION now is to push all together the htc to do this or to take a programmer like htc hd2.
Not to leave, not allow to forget the fraud was against us. we must act immediately. thank you.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
He basically likes to downplay HTC's fault and place all the blame on mIctrosoft. To be honest, this is all HTC and thankfully HTC is proving me right.

HTchelp twitter tweets this....

"Due to hardware requirements of the Windows 10 update, HTC One M8(Windows) was not included."

So you mean to tell me my cheap Alcatel Fierce one touch XL, The new Lumia 550 and 650 can run it....Not to mention the 1 GB Lumia 640 and 640 XL which all have weaker specs than the M8 windows.

The lumia 1520 and Lumia 930, which are the Lumia competitors to the M8(arguably the better phones) can run it. But some hardware requirements of Windows 10 is not allowing the M8 Windows to be updated?

I can't even with that. Anyone who continues to defend the fact HTC is screwing its 30-40 Windows users is insulting to the people who like this phone.

Then they are trying to throw Microsoft under the bus in the following tweet.
This is pretty much what I think happened...Daniel rubino and other experts reported it. it sold miserably (It's an HTC and a Windows phone...you can be one or the other but being both at the same time is a mistake to happen) and due to poor sales HTC didn't justify the cost to update it.

Then just say that instead of BSing your customers with poor and weak excuses.

Microsoft noticed there will be no support and they had a choice of potentially leaving it on insider previews where issues later could arise or removing it entirely since they realized HTC will never update this phone. Microsoft chose the latter.

Notice that Blu's low end phones are getting updated...but according to HTC, Microsoft decided to screw a partner out by not providing the update? I find that highly unlikely. Could have happened but I call BS simply because of how poorly HTC is handling things now.

Fact is that HTC is breaking their HTC advantage promise and fact is this is far more unfair than Microsoft not updating x2X devices (Or all windows phone 8.1) despite saying otherwise because we've already seen how majority of those phone can't support it adequately...but the M8 windows can. They just chose not to.

This is precisely why I only buy hardware from Microsoft. Despite the fact they did mess up with X2X devices, I genuinely don't worry that much. Alcatel so far is winning me over for the time being.

CZiX8R0.jpg

Ironically, when you follow the link about Android Upgrades, it leads to a page that specifically mentions "Windows Phone releases."

Also, using Archive.org, I noticed that the page really hasn't changed much since it was first archived in July of 2014. However, it was deliberately changed in August of 2014 to add the HTC One M8 for Windows to the list.

Just looked 2 minutes ago, this is what is on the website...
And if you click on the "updates", it says 2 years of updates. No comment.

View attachment 124249

That is what is says now. What did it say a year ago when people were still buying the M8?

Sent from my Surface 3

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
This is why I stopped buying HTC phones. Their support is the worst and not reliable. I'll never buy another HTC

Sent from mTalk

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Re: Is HTC breaking it's "HTC Advantage" promise?

He basically likes to downplay HTC's fault and place all the blame on mIctrosoft. To be honest, this is all HTC and thankfully HTC is proving me right.

View attachment 124340

You are only right when the Icon can get upgraded as well. You know nothing more or can predict anything better than any other of us peons on these forms.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

You are only right when the Icon can get upgraded as well. You know nothing more or can predict anything better than any other of us peons on these forms.
And what will your excuse be then if/when the Icon does get updated? Notice they are at least working with the Icon to try and get an update for those individual. Which, if it does happen, proves my point that Lumias are really the only WIndows phones people should buy.

Furthermore, the Icon being updated or not does not negate anything what I said above.
This is about HTC and their bogus HTC advantage and the fact they are claiming technical reasons (and blaming Microsoft now) for the lack of an update despite other phones with similar specs (and as the HTC m8 fans like to brag 'outdated' processors...cuz 800 truly was such a huge difference than 801...sarcasm intended) being updated.

Regardless how any of the M8 fans try to downplay it, HTC flat out guaranteed a 2 year support and just screwed over their users and from the looks of it is throwing Microsoft under the bus. There's no excuse for that, though I love reading how you guys keep coming up with excuses to further try and disprove what M8 owners are starting to say. "THEY ARE DONE WITH HTC"

As they should be and if HTC keeps it up, they'll be following Nokia. Done and having to sell out.

Sent from mTalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Sent from mTalk

And what will your excuse be then if/when the Icon does get updated? Notice they are at least working with the Icon to try and get an update for those individual. Which, if it does happen, proves my point that Lumias are really the only WIndows phones people should buy.

Furthermore, the Icon being updated or not does not negate anything what I said above.
This is about HTC and their bogus HTC advantage and the fact they are claiming technical reasons (and blaming Microsoft now) for the lack of an update despite other phones with similar specs (and as the HTC m8 fans like to brag 'outdated' processors...cuz 800 truly was such a huge difference than 801...sarcasm intended) being updated.

Regardless how any of the M8 fans try to downplay it, HTC flat out guaranteed a 2 year support and just screwed over their users and from the looks of it is throwing Microsoft under the bus. There's no excuse for that, though I love reading how you guys keep coming up with excuses to further try and disprove what M8 owners are starting to say. "THEY ARE DONE WITH HTC"

As they should be and if HTC keeps it up, they'll be following Nokia. Done and having to sell out.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
HTC & T-Mobile never provided WP8.1 GDR2 to the M8. Given how quickly TMO abandons WP handsets, I'm sure they never even looked at the firmware, assuming it was provided by HTC. HTC did provide updates to the AT&T and Verizon versions, so we have to assume it was made available to TMO as well.

That being said, and regardless of the cause, this is another example of HTC breaking its promise. Anyone that is tweeting HTC about this, should remind them they also broke their promise with TMO/GDR2. I've moved on to the iphone (my first non-windows-based smartphone), so I am not interested in fighting the good fight. I do care about all of you that still have this handset.

I'll bet the duo camera is the source of the "incompatibility" for W10M.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
To me, HTC broke their promise to some degree in that there isn't enough transparency here to satisfy consumers. Clearly, it is a lot more complicated than that based on how the contract was written with the US carriers to supply M8s and how to maintain them software wise.

The problem is, there are three people involved there...the software makers (MSFT), the hardware OEM (HTC), and the US carriers. The issue has always been that the OEM falls on the sword whenever things go awry for a carrier specific variant (which the M8 is). Until us as consumers tell these three players with our wallets and social media it is not acceptable, it doesn't matter who folks prefer to give the lion's share of the blame - HTC, the US carriers or MSFT - it will be business as usual where folks will spend hard earned money on a handset they liked only to have the powers that be great them like sales figures and drop support of software improvements if the phone didn't sell well enough.

G4 Approved

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't think we should give up. We need to let our voices be heard! We have to keep bugging HTC, Microsoft, Verizon, whoever to get to make this right.

@HTCUSA
@VZWSupport
@LumiaHelp
@WindowsSupport
@GabeAul

Let the tweets start. lol

#donotbuyhtc

Sent from my Surface 3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads