new wp10

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
There will be an official WP10 release for us on M8s ... right?
I am on the DP but there are a lot of things that need an official release (firmware etc..) to make it really sing.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
What I would like to see is HTC coming out with an official WP10. Like the M9 maybe. Hopefully on Verizon.

Sent from my Surface 3

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded mine to the fast track WP10 latest release and it seems to be very solid. I came back to WP just recently and did not want to spend a bunch on the 950 & 950xl since I am tied to Verizon family pan. I didn't think I would like this phone having had Nokia up to now. I truly like this phone. I can see it lasting me for quite a while; no matter whether Verizon ever offers WP's again.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
It should be coming fairly soon. HTC did say that they fully support any updates for 2 years after release, so our M8 for Windows still has a 6-month life cycle.
Also, given that the Insider Preview has been running on the M8 for quite a while, I would say definitely happening.

Just on a sidenote, I'm very eager to retire my iPhone once the W10M update officialy hits my M8... :)

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
See, now here is where the language gets a bit fuzzy on "support any updates" vs... PROVIDE any updates... You'll also notice that the Advantage Program is all buy gone. The 90 day window was missed with their latest offerings due to the fact that the carriers were so slow approving them. The 2 year deal only applied to certain handsets - like the M7 did NOT get updated to Marshmallow even though it was technically out in time. I'll just lay out the following thoughts on this one like this.

First off, I do not see the Win10 update coming officially to the M8. I'll just say that right now. Second, even if the carriers requested the update - which none of them want to go through technical testing on it for the 5 of us that have one - there's no indication that HTC would want to write 3 different versions of it. You have AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon versions that all need custom ROM's. That's just not going to happen. Third, Microsoft hasn't rolled out the Win10 update officially to older devices yet. So, if they rolled it out next month, that's April. Verizon goes to HTC and asks for the update to be issued - HTC begins coding all their goodies into it. It takes about 30 days to develop, 60 days of internal testing and bug fixes, then 45 days of TA testing with more bug squashing. That puts us out about 120 days - or August of this year. That's the two year point, so HTC can claim they are outside of that window anyway.

There has been ZERO talk about a follow up to the M8, and since the M9 was completely skipped and they just did 3 new Desires at MWC, then have the "10" coming next month, I don't see it happening soon, since they are fighting for the phone life right now. HTC is all about the Under Armor kit and the Vive right now. The 10 will probably be a decent release, but if the hardware doesn't wow, I don't see them releasing another phone this year.They will ride the desire line, maybe a new RE camera and push the crap out of the Vive to anyone that will buy it. The M8 for Windows didn't sell well, before that, the 8X, 8S, Titan, Titan II and Radar all flopped pretty hard also. Microsoft has done a poor job of marketing Windows Mobile, so I don't see any struggling third parties jumping in again. If you look at the ones that are onboard right now, Acer, HP and Panasonic are the big three... All of them make PCs as well. They are looking to expand their PC business with a Win10 handset. HTC, doesn't have the cross market in place, and even if they did, HP just KILLED it with the X3.

I still think MS is playing this out to do a full version of Win10 on a handset to be a true 'pocket pc' and fill out their MOBILE FIRST/CLOUD FIRST deal. What's more mobile first than a PC in your pocket? I don't see HTC playing a part in this, unless Microsoft buys them to steal the Vive from them. Right now, that's all that's keeping them afloat. If the M10 is a huge hit, maybe they will take a leap, but I don't see too much happening with that with all the amazing releases that are already market bound.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I truly hope this is not the case, but I tend to agree with you on this (sadly)... :(

See, now here is where the language gets a bit fuzzy on "support any updates" vs... PROVIDE any updates... You'll also notice that the Advantage Program is all buy gone. The 90 day window was missed with their latest offerings due to the fact that the carriers were so slow approving them. The 2 year deal only applied to certain handsets - like the M7 did NOT get updated to Marshmallow even though it was technically out in time. I'll just lay out the following thoughts on this one like this.

First off, I do not see the Win10 update coming officially to the M8. I'll just say that right now. Second, even if the carriers requested the update - which none of them want to go through technical testing on it for the 5 of us that have one - there's no indication that HTC would want to write 3 different versions of it. You have AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon versions that all need custom ROM's. That's just not going to happen. Third, Microsoft hasn't rolled out the Win10 update officially to older devices yet. So, if they rolled it out next month, that's April. Verizon goes to HTC and asks for the update to be issued - HTC begins coding all their goodies into it. It takes about 30 days to develop, 60 days of internal testing and bug fixes, then 45 days of TA testing with more bug squashing. That puts us out about 120 days - or August of this year. That's the two year point, so HTC can claim they are outside of that window anyway.

There has been ZERO talk about a follow up to the M8, and since the M9 was completely skipped and they just did 3 new Desires at MWC, then have the "10" coming next month, I don't see it happening soon, since they are fighting for the phone life right now. HTC is all about the Under Armor kit and the Vive right now. The 10 will probably be a decent release, but if the hardware doesn't wow, I don't see them releasing another phone this year.They will ride the desire line, maybe a new RE camera and push the crap out of the Vive to anyone that will buy it. The M8 for Windows didn't sell well, before that, the 8X, 8S, Titan, Titan II and Radar all flopped pretty hard also. Microsoft has done a poor job of marketing Windows Mobile, so I don't see any struggling third parties jumping in again. If you look at the ones that are onboard right now, Acer, HP and Panasonic are the big three... All of them make PCs as well. They are looking to expand their PC business with a Win10 handset. HTC, doesn't have the cross market in place, and even if they did, HP just KILLED it with the X3.

I still think MS is playing this out to do a full version of Win10 on a handset to be a true 'pocket pc' and fill out their MOBILE FIRST/CLOUD FIRST deal. What's more mobile first than a PC in your pocket? I don't see HTC playing a part in this, unless Microsoft buys them to steal the Vive from them. Right now, that's all that's keeping them afloat. If the M10 is a huge hit, maybe they will take a leap, but I don't see too much happening with that with all the amazing releases that are already market bound.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05