02-26-2016 09:49 AM
56 123
tools
    Which 640 XL do u need to get to use on tmobile

Sent from mTalk
    02-20-2016 10:18 PM
    So my blessed 1520 finally has given me enough fits to consider a new phone. I I had a choice of three. Lumia 640, IPhone 6 plus or HTC M8. I really hate the app gap on windows platform but at the same time the os does what I need it to so. So I took the plunge called insurance to replace my 1520. They are sending me the M8. being that this is my first HTC tell me I'll be happy coming from a 1520. I will say at least otterbox makes a case for it. Trying to find case for Lumia and Nokia is nuts :(.

Oh and I'm sporting windows 10 in the 1520
    I have the M8. You will really appreciate the HTC One M8. The build quality, the feel, the speed, the speakers in front, a real plus. Mine is running TP and no issues with it so far.
    02-22-2016 08:29 AM
    When it was first released, the camera was indeed an abomination. Subsequent updates and even W10 TP have fixed a lot of the earlier issues. It's not a 1520, not much is, but it's leagues better than either a 640 or 640 XL. I've owned all of these phones so my critique is based on actual usage, not what some blogger wrote. Up until the 950, the M8 had the latest and greatest processor on any WP device. Where you'll truly notice the difference between the M8 and any other WP device is when you're you're updating apps, downloading new ones and setting up your phone's contacts, email, etc. It flat flies. No matter what you throw at it, you'll rarely ever see "resuming". That alone is worth the price of admission.

Let's face it, with the app gap the way it is, a Windows Phone needs to be a speed demon no matter what. If I wanted to live with lag, I'd get a Samsung Galaxy.
    mark233 likes this.
    02-22-2016 01:33 PM
    Which 640 XL do u need to get to use on tmobile

Sent from mTalk
    I have the rm-1096 version. It works just fine. Just make sure if you get it to install the sim card first. It's the Vietnamese model I think lol and it is hell trying to setup the phone. I later discovered that when the sim is in the phone it will AutoDetect it as English. :)

check the 640 xl forum. There is a comprehensive list of all the versions. But the 640 xl is a good phone. I am sad I cracked mine's screen.
    02-23-2016 06:19 AM
    When it was first released, the camera was indeed an abomination. Subsequent updates and even W10 TP have fixed a lot of the earlier issues. It's not a 1520, not much is, but it's leagues better than either a 640 or 640 XL. I've owned all of these phones so my critique is based on actual usage, not what some blogger wrote. Up until the 950, the M8 had the latest and greatest processor on any WP device. Where you'll truly notice the difference between the M8 and any other WP device is when you're you're updating apps, downloading new ones and setting up your phone's contacts, email, etc. It flat flies. No matter what you throw at it, you'll rarely ever see "resuming". That alone is worth the price of admission.

Let's face it, with the app gap the way it is, a Windows Phone needs to be a speed demon no matter what. If I wanted to live with lag, I'd get a Samsung Galaxy.
    That myth about it having the 801 thus it was the fastest windows phone of the time always bugs me.
    Even the majority of the professional reviewers noted that the m8s processor being slightly newer in most cases performed as well as the 1520 and 930/icon. In some cases, it did better and in some cases they did better than it.

As far as windows 10, ha I g the highest processor isn't exactly a necessity when you are running official build and not the insider. This fierce xl I am using is actually quite speedy and stable but is noticeably slower when it comes to games as well as app launches compares to my 640 xl, icon and 1520
    02-23-2016 06:23 AM
    That myth about it having the 801 thus it was the fastest windows phone of the time always bugs me.
    Even the majority of the professional reviewers noted that the m8s processor being slightly newer in most cases performed as well as the 1520 and 930/icon. In some cases, it did better and in some cases they did better than it.

As far as windows 10, ha I g the highest processor isn't exactly a necessity when you are running official build and not the insider. This fierce xl I am using is actually quite speedy and stable but is noticeably slower when it comes to games as well as app launches compares to my 640 xl, icon and 1520
    I cannot say that it's a myth for sure. The m8 felt faster to me than the 930, both on 8.1 and 10TP. There are 3 801 chips: The AA, AB, and AC. The AC is the fastest of the 3. The M8 uses the AB chip, which is still quicker than the 800.
    02-23-2016 07:10 AM
    Call it a myth all you want, the benchmarks always said otherwise. We know you hated non Lumia's Micah but facts are facts.

One thing no one mentioned here is the HTC apps, all of them are yet to be fixed for windows 10. This means they are broken, no IR or Duo Camera function as of yet. You will have to stay on 8.1.2 for those currently. Apart from that W10 runs extremely well on the M8, there is still alot to appreciate on this phone.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    02-23-2016 08:03 AM
    Call it a myth all you want, the benchmarks always said otherwise. We know you hated non Lumia's Micah but facts are facts.

One thing no one mentioned here is the HTC apps, all of them are yet to be fixed for windows 10. This means they are broken, no IR or Duo Camera function as of yet. You will have to stay on 8.1.2 for those currently. Apart from that W10 runs extremely well on the M8, there is still alot to appreciate on this phone.
    Cant hate non Lumia too much.
    I am replying to you on a phone that isn't a Lumia now ;) I do t haste nonlumia. I hate oems who do not support their products adequately...hence why I support blu for example but not samsung or htc :)

Benchmarks are one thing but much like specs of a phone they aren't everything nor the be all end all. In regular day to day usage, the m8 and icon are on Par especially when you take in the shortcomings of the m8 as well.
    02-23-2016 09:50 AM
    Cant hate non Lumia too much.
    I am replying to you on a phone that isn't a Lumia now ;) I do t haste nonlumia. I hate oems who do not support their products adequately...hence why I support blu for example but not samsung or htc :)

Benchmarks are one thing but much like specs of a phone they aren't everything nor the be all end all. In regular day to day usage, the m8 and icon are on Par especially when you take in the shortcomings of the m8 as well.
    Micah, the only shortcoming of the M8 was the camera - both for the Android and WP versions.

Your dislike for samsung and HTC is strong.
    02-23-2016 10:20 AM
    Which is funny because HTC was on the right track, just with an inadequate amount of pixels. Case in point the Galaxy series copying the technique and lowering the megapixel count from 16 to 12 with the S7.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    02-23-2016 10:30 AM
    i just got my m8 yesterday and so far i'm loving it.. i had the 950 and it was a great phone, but i just couldn't stomach the $500 price tag.. maybe if it was $300, i would have kept it.. luckily, i was able to sell it without a loss.. had the 640 for few weeks and for the price, it's a great phone.. picked it up during black friday for $30.. can't beat that.. but it felt slow, especially coming from the 950.. was offered a used m8 for $120, so i figure i try it.. it's fast as 950 with the premium feel.. didn't think the metal body would matter, but it does make a difference.. yes, the camera isn't good (even 640 camera is better), but for my use, it's enough.. if i was doing serious photography, i would have kept the 950, but looking at how i use my phone, the camera works for me.. running the latest w10 build and it's been good so far.. any issues i have now are more OS related than the hardware.. seriously, it runs as fast as the 950.. i do hope HTC makes more windows phones, giving us consumers more premium options..
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-23-2016 11:48 AM
    Check out this bad boy. It will be here tomorrow. I paid more than $120 but it's brand new!!

m8.jpg
    MSFTisMIA and aximtreo like this.
    02-23-2016 12:07 PM
    My M8 is growing on me. Wish we had more than the bands as wearable tech though...
    02-23-2016 06:24 PM
    Micah, the only shortcoming of the M8 was the camera - both for the Android and WP versions.

Your dislike for samsung and HTC is strong.
    And the poor support from HTC...lol let's hope they maybe will update their apps for windows 10. Likely not :)
    02-23-2016 07:55 PM
    Who uses HTC apps, or Samsung, Apple or Nokia Apps for that matter. I can't uninstall them fast enough. And DO NOT get me started on carrier bloat!!!!
    02-23-2016 08:36 PM
    The M8 is built very well, the 801 is very capable and the size is very pocketable. It's a winner. I only wish I had bought one when it originally became available. Instead I spent a year with Android and iOS because I was tires of waiting on a replacement for my 1520.
    Player Piano and GMC262 like this.
    02-23-2016 08:38 PM
    Who uses HTC apps, or Samsung, Apple or Nokia Apps for that matter. I can't uninstall them fast enough. And DO NOT get me started on carrier bloat!!!!
    Pretty much most Lumia fans. Hence the outcry when they get removed or made available for everyone.
    02-23-2016 09:45 PM
    And the poor support from HTC...lol let's hope they maybe will update their apps for windows 10. Likely not :)
    What poor support from HTC? Call me when you have research showing that Nokia was also supporting two OSes at the same time, pushing out updates...Nokia when I last checked was only supporting windows so they had to update their stuff constantly...

Dude, everyone knows that up to Windows 10, carriers controlled updates. T-mobile is the worst offender. You do realize it was them how didn't push through 8.1.2 for their M8. They took years to update their 925 & 521 models. And don't get me started on the 8X and Lumia 810 fiascos.

HTC has always made their phones work well at launch, in spite of the carriers. Especially since everyone knows their focus is Android first. I mean, not saying that they're saints here, but this wild bashing has got to stop...
    phlamethrowre and fatclue_98 like this.
    02-24-2016 07:27 AM
    Until last week, HTC was the only non-Lumia on WDRT. Call me crazy but I think that's good.
    MSFTisMIA, Br1t, libra89 and 2 others like this.
    02-24-2016 10:06 AM
    What poor support from HTC? Call me when you have research showing that Nokia was also supporting two OSes at the same time, pushing out updates...Nokia when I last checked was only supporting windows so they had to update their stuff constantly...

Dude, everyone knows that up to Windows 10, carriers controlled updates. T-mobile is the worst offender. You do realize it was them how didn't push through 8.1.2 for their M8. They took years to update their 925 & 521 models. And don't get me started on the 8X and Lumia 810 fiascos.

HTC has always made their phones work well at launch, in spite of the carriers. Especially since everyone knows their focus is Android first. I mean, not saying that they're saints here, but this wild bashing has got to stop...
    HTC is not known for their stellar releases. One has to look at the android releases for their phones (especially the tragic camera).
    And let's not forget the 8x where the coating begin to rub off. Nokia isn't perfect (see 1520) but HTC isn't known for excellent releases and launches.

Remember the poor 8x/8s users got jerked around with the 8.1 update? Cant blame tmobile for that. And then in the wp7 era? It was well reported here on the forums. You act as if HTC reputation is underserved.
    Keep in mind HTC has been slack even in their android devices though they did get better the last couple of years. One has to only point to the HTC thunderbolt debacle.

As I've said many times, it's not bashing when a company has shown track record of abandoning their products. I was an HTC fanboy when I stupidly used android at one time. HTC built the reputation that they have by their lack of action.

The m8 has yet to my knowledge been announced for a windows 10 update officially (yes you have insider's but still not official). Hopefully they will update their m8, lord knows the 8x won't get it (but the 920 will).

There is a reason why despite being the main flagship that was available on multiple carriers the m8 was only avoided and sold less than usual for a windows phone flagship. Because people do not trust or believe in HTC.

HTC may announce a windows phone flagship as they teased something...however if they release the phone at the same time as the android version and market it/suoport it I will give credit where credit is due.

I am glad you guys enjoy your phones. You should. I'd probably still own an m8, but I see no reason why when there are better supported phones from OEMs who do seem to care where I don't have to worry about them abandoning me.....

Oh and the Nokia vs HTC thing of using one vs two Os, is irrelevant imo. HTC chose to handle two is, so that's on them. Nokia having the one is no better.

HTC literally has three windows phones to support to how many Lumia's? Given how little the m8 likely sold especially given it's market, it should have long gotten an official uodate by now.
    02-25-2016 06:22 AM
    HTC is not known for their stellar releases. One has to look at the android releases for their phones (especially the tragic camera).
    And let's not forget the 8x where the coating begin to rub off. Nokia isn't perfect (see 1520) but HTC isn't known for excellent releases and launches.

Remember the poor 8x/8s users got jerked around with the 8.1 update? Cant blame tmobile for that. And then in the wp7 era? It was well reported here on the forums. You act as if HTC reputation is underserved.
    Keep in mind HTC has been slack even in their android devices though they did get better the last couple of years. One has to only point to the HTC thunderbolt debacle.

As I've said many times, it's not bashing when a company has shown track record of abandoning their products. I was an HTC fanboy when I stupidly used android at one time. HTC built the reputation that they have by their lack of action.

The m8 has yet to my knowledge been announced for a windows 10 update officially (yes you have insider's but still not official). Hopefully they will update their m8, lord knows the 8x won't get it (but the 920 will).

There is a reason why despite being the main flagship that was available on multiple carriers the m8 was only avoided and sold less than usual for a windows phone flagship. Because people do not trust or believe in HTC.

HTC may announce a windows phone flagship as they teased something...however if they release the phone at the same time as the android version and market it/suoport it I will give credit where credit is due.

I am glad you guys enjoy your phones. You should. I'd probably still own an m8, but I see no reason why when there are better supported phones from OEMs who do seem to care where I don't have to worry about them abandoning me.....

Oh and the Nokia vs HTC thing of using one vs two Os, is irrelevant imo. HTC chose to handle two is, so that's on them. Nokia having the one is no better.

HTC literally has three windows phones to support to how many Lumia's? Given how little the m8 likely sold especially given it's market, it should have long gotten an official uodate by now.
    That's alot of typing just to say you don't like HTC and don't want a M8.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-25-2016 08:23 AM
    That's alot of typing just to say you don't like HTC and don't want a M8.
    Lol just explaining is all :)
    But I already had one briefly and it was replaced by a much better all around icon.
    02-25-2016 08:29 AM
    Except it launched with 8.1.1 when many Lumia's didn't have it and got 8.1.2 when a bunch of Lumia's never got it at all. So what support has HTC not given yet? If it doesn't get an official W10 release in line with 18mth old Lumia's then you have a point, but you can't say that now.
    02-25-2016 08:41 AM
    Except it launched with 8.1.1 when many Lumia's didn't have it and got 8.1.2 when a bunch of Lumia's never got it at all. So what support has HTC not given yet? If it doesn't get an official W10 release in line with 18mth old Lumia's then you have a point, but you can't say that now.

The defense rests.
    xandros9 and libra89 like this.
    02-25-2016 11:10 AM
    I had the HTC One M8 with Windows 8.1 until buying the Lumia 950 XL in November. Overall it was a positive experience, but there were some drawbacks.

Pros:
    - metal build
    - stereo speaker quality
    - double tap to wake
    - speed

Cons:
    - camera is absolutely terrible. No other way to say it.
    - downside of nice metal body is how slippery it is
    - headphone jack died close to the one year mark
    - black lettering on back peeled off after about six months

I don't regret getting it, and I was happy to support the first Android and Windows phone, but I was also glad to move on. The camera killed me.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-25-2016 03:24 PM
56 123