M8 on the way

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. I know I'm being a snob but it scares me not knowing why this got sent back originally.

Sent from mTalk

You never know if it could be because the customer didn't want it after trying it out. That happens too.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well the M8 came today and I have to say I'm no further today than I was 2 days ago. Thry sent a completely refurbished unit to me. The box was barely taped together the phone was in a plastic baggy. I see no wearable signs on the phone but seriously a refurbished unit. I'm tempted to send it back and just pick up a 640... This irritates me. 100.00 for a return phone :(. Thoughts?

Sent from mTalk
Get the 640 and in the fall get yourself a higher end flagship. 640 is a phenomenal phone and at $30, it's an absolute steal.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So my blessed 1520 finally has given me enough fits to consider a new phone. I I had a choice of three. Lumia 640, IPhone 6 plus or HTC M8. I really hate the app gap on windows platform but at the same time the os does what I need it to so. So I took the plunge called insurance to replace my 1520. They are sending me the M8. being that this is my first HTC tell me I'll be happy coming from a 1520. I will say at least otterbox makes a case for it. Trying to find case for Lumia and Nokia is nuts :(.

Oh and I'm sporting windows 10 in the 1520
I have the M8. You will really appreciate the HTC One M8. The build quality, the feel, the speed, the speakers in front, a real plus. Mine is running TP and no issues with it so far.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When it was first released, the camera was indeed an abomination. Subsequent updates and even W10 TP have fixed a lot of the earlier issues. It's not a 1520, not much is, but it's leagues better than either a 640 or 640 XL. I've owned all of these phones so my critique is based on actual usage, not what some blogger wrote. Up until the 950, the M8 had the latest and greatest processor on any WP device. Where you'll truly notice the difference between the M8 and any other WP device is when you're you're updating apps, downloading new ones and setting up your phone's contacts, email, etc. It flat flies. No matter what you throw at it, you'll rarely ever see "resuming". That alone is worth the price of admission.

Let's face it, with the app gap the way it is, a Windows Phone needs to be a speed demon no matter what. If I wanted to live with lag, I'd get a Samsung Galaxy.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Which 640 XL do u need to get to use on tmobile

Sent from mTalk

I have the rm-1096 version. It works just fine. Just make sure if you get it to install the sim card first. It's the Vietnamese model I think lol and it is hell trying to setup the phone. I later discovered that when the sim is in the phone it will AutoDetect it as English. :)

check the 640 xl forum. There is a comprehensive list of all the versions. But the 640 xl is a good phone. I am sad I cracked mine's screen.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When it was first released, the camera was indeed an abomination. Subsequent updates and even W10 TP have fixed a lot of the earlier issues. It's not a 1520, not much is, but it's leagues better than either a 640 or 640 XL. I've owned all of these phones so my critique is based on actual usage, not what some blogger wrote. Up until the 950, the M8 had the latest and greatest processor on any WP device. Where you'll truly notice the difference between the M8 and any other WP device is when you're you're updating apps, downloading new ones and setting up your phone's contacts, email, etc. It flat flies. No matter what you throw at it, you'll rarely ever see "resuming". That alone is worth the price of admission.

Let's face it, with the app gap the way it is, a Windows Phone needs to be a speed demon no matter what. If I wanted to live with lag, I'd get a Samsung Galaxy.
That myth about it having the 801 thus it was the fastest windows phone of the time always bugs me.
Even the majority of the professional reviewers noted that the m8s processor being slightly newer in most cases performed as well as the 1520 and 930/icon. In some cases, it did better and in some cases they did better than it.

As far as windows 10, ha I g the highest processor isn't exactly a necessity when you are running official build and not the insider. This fierce xl I am using is actually quite speedy and stable but is noticeably slower when it comes to games as well as app launches compares to my 640 xl, icon and 1520

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That myth about it having the 801 thus it was the fastest windows phone of the time always bugs me.
Even the majority of the professional reviewers noted that the m8s processor being slightly newer in most cases performed as well as the 1520 and 930/icon. In some cases, it did better and in some cases they did better than it.

As far as windows 10, ha I g the highest processor isn't exactly a necessity when you are running official build and not the insider. This fierce xl I am using is actually quite speedy and stable but is noticeably slower when it comes to games as well as app launches compares to my 640 xl, icon and 1520

I cannot say that it's a myth for sure. The m8 felt faster to me than the 930, both on 8.1 and 10TP. There are 3 801 chips: The AA, AB, and AC. The AC is the fastest of the 3. The M8 uses the AB chip, which is still quicker than the 800.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Call it a myth all you want, the benchmarks always said otherwise. We know you hated non Lumia's Micah but facts are facts.

One thing no one mentioned here is the HTC apps, all of them are yet to be fixed for windows 10. This means they are broken, no IR or Duo Camera function as of yet. You will have to stay on 8.1.2 for those currently. Apart from that W10 runs extremely well on the M8, there is still alot to appreciate on this phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Call it a myth all you want, the benchmarks always said otherwise. We know you hated non Lumia's Micah but facts are facts.

One thing no one mentioned here is the HTC apps, all of them are yet to be fixed for windows 10. This means they are broken, no IR or Duo Camera function as of yet. You will have to stay on 8.1.2 for those currently. Apart from that W10 runs extremely well on the M8, there is still alot to appreciate on this phone.
Cant hate non Lumia too much.
I am replying to you on a phone that isn't a Lumia now ;) I do t haste nonlumia. I hate oems who do not support their products adequately...hence why I support blu for example but not samsung or htc :)

Benchmarks are one thing but much like specs of a phone they aren't everything nor the be all end all. In regular day to day usage, the m8 and icon are on Par especially when you take in the shortcomings of the m8 as well.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Cant hate non Lumia too much.
I am replying to you on a phone that isn't a Lumia now ;) I do t haste nonlumia. I hate oems who do not support their products adequately...hence why I support blu for example but not samsung or htc :)

Benchmarks are one thing but much like specs of a phone they aren't everything nor the be all end all. In regular day to day usage, the m8 and icon are on Par especially when you take in the shortcomings of the m8 as well.

Micah, the only shortcoming of the M8 was the camera - both for the Android and WP versions.

Your dislike for samsung and HTC is strong.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Which is funny because HTC was on the right track, just with an inadequate amount of pixels. Case in point the Galaxy series copying the technique and lowering the megapixel count from 16 to 12 with the S7.

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
i just got my m8 yesterday and so far i'm loving it.. i had the 950 and it was a great phone, but i just couldn't stomach the $500 price tag.. maybe if it was $300, i would have kept it.. luckily, i was able to sell it without a loss.. had the 640 for few weeks and for the price, it's a great phone.. picked it up during black friday for $30.. can't beat that.. but it felt slow, especially coming from the 950.. was offered a used m8 for $120, so i figure i try it.. it's fast as 950 with the premium feel.. didn't think the metal body would matter, but it does make a difference.. yes, the camera isn't good (even 640 camera is better), but for my use, it's enough.. if i was doing serious photography, i would have kept the 950, but looking at how i use my phone, the camera works for me.. running the latest w10 build and it's been good so far.. any issues i have now are more OS related than the hardware.. seriously, it runs as fast as the 950.. i do hope HTC makes more windows phones, giving us consumers more premium options..

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Who uses HTC apps, or Samsung, Apple or Nokia Apps for that matter. I can't uninstall them fast enough. And DO NOT get me started on carrier bloat!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb