03-26-2016 11:15 AM
60 123
tools
    I left iOS for WP8, and I soon had my wife and other family members switch. The funny thing is, all the 640's and my wife's 1520 are getting W10. My m8 won't. I got the M8 thru MS for warranty since there was no more 830's. I have to wait and see how the HP Elite X3 is or something fairly equivalent. If all else, I might have to go back to iOS and pick up where I left off before I got the 520 in the summer of 2013
    teddystiles likes this.
    03-21-2016 03:43 PM
    This really saddens me. Spending the amount I spent on for a flagship phone believing that I would always be kept up to date, and actually not, infuriates me. I have converted so many people at the company I work for from iOS and Android to WP, only for something like this to happen. I can't stand the Apple environment, nor the UI of any of their products, and the crap experience I have had with Android prior to switching to WP, I really have no option left.
    03-23-2016 11:25 AM
    This really saddens me. Spending the amount I spent on for a flagship phone believing that I would always be kept up to date, and actually not, infuriates me. I have converted so many people at the company I work for from iOS and Android to WP, only for something like this to happen. I can't stand the Apple environment, nor the UI of any of their products, and the crap experience I have had with Android prior to switching to WP, I really have no option left.
    The best thing to do is go unlocked. Get your phone unlocked and use gsm carriers like att and tmobile. I never trust HTC with windows phone and tried to warn people who chose not to listen.
    03-23-2016 11:29 AM
    This was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and it came at a time I was just switching carrier too. So after 5 1/2 years I've dumped WP for Android. Am I happy about that? Not at all, I miss WP, it's UI, navigation, tiles and smoothness.

But in return I've received so much functionality through apps we didn't have, and also apps feature stripped in their WP skin. My M8 is in the drawer, I will be holding onto it but I can do that minus the years of frustration and broken promises.

The plus side for a switcher like me is the MS support for Android. I only need a gmail account for store access. I use MS office, Outlook, Onedrive and Smartglass, no need for googles service'. I want to come back, I can anytime but won't until the things important to me improve.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-23-2016 02:35 PM
    HTC, has lost my business, after not supporting the M8 Winbows phone I will never buy any of their products again, I can see why they are circling the drain.
    wrm1 and Nogitsune Micah like this.
    03-23-2016 04:09 PM
    This was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and it came at a time I was just switching carrier too. So after 5 1/2 years I've dumped WP for Android. Am I happy about that? Not at all, I miss WP, it's UI, navigation, tiles and smoothness.

But in return I've received so much functionality through apps we didn't have, and also apps feature stripped in their WP skin. My M8 is in the drawer, I will be holding onto it but I can do that minus the years of frustration and broken promises.

The plus side for a switcher like me is the MS support for Android. I only need a gmail account for store access. I use MS office, Outlook, Onedrive and Smartglass, no need for googles service'. I want to come back, I can anytime but won't until the things important to me improve.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    A lot of people feel this way these days. My M8 is in my drawer for the same reasons. I've been on Windows since 2003 SE. My first Windows phone device was a HTC Touch, ironically. I want more functionality to better suit my needs, so I went back to Android. I wanted more from HTC with Windows, but I just think MSFT's strategy while possibly a good long term okay, has cost them users and OEMs in the interim.

I kinda yearn for the old HTC which was more developer friendly. But I think those days are gone, along with HTC's commitment to Windows. Kinda can't blame them as MSFT has always left behind some folks with every update since 2003 SE, but it is still sad all around.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    03-23-2016 10:02 PM
    I'm not holding out hope as the M8 is not only a carrier phone, it is a US carrier phone. Remember the T-Mobile version didn't even have the latest WP 8.1 update. So while the hardware can run Windows 10, I doubt these US carriers will care enough to let the phone get updated.

Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 03-25-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    03-23-2016 10:03 PM
    Reddit claims a tweet from HTC claims there will be an update but when I tweeted them yesterday they said there is no information as of yet on an update.

Besides, I am on Verizon so I am guessing no update

Sent from mTalk
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-23-2016 10:09 PM
    HTC, has lost my business, after not supporting the M8 Winbows phone I will never buy any of their products again, I can see why they are circling the drain.
    Are you going to give up the platform or going to go Lumia? Hopefully the latter.
    03-23-2016 10:13 PM
    Are you going to give up the platform or going to go Lumia? Hopefully the latter.

Like the Lumia Icon?

Sent from mTalk
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-23-2016 10:18 PM
    I really Don't like the new Lumia phones, I am waiting to see the new HP, I don't want to give up on Windows phones just yet, but I am not very happy with Microsoft.
    03-24-2016 12:52 AM
    First phone was T-Mobile SDA/HTC Tornado, then the T-Mobile Dash/HTC Excalibur, then the HD7, then the 8X, then a brief detour with the L925 before coming back to HTC with the M8.

I really don't know where to go from here. I have an early upgrade available but with T-Mobile it's either the OneTouch or put the extra money up to get an unlocked device.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-24-2016 01:55 AM
    Like the Lumia Icon?

Sent from mTalk
    Sure use one Lumia to try and justify your point. It was already abandoned and allegedly the icon mau get it according to Gabe. Let's not forget the HTC 8xand 8s debacle with windows phone 8.1 and how they got screwed around.
    03-24-2016 01:59 AM
    First phone was T-Mobile SDA/HTC Tornado, then the T-Mobile Dash/HTC Excalibur, then the HD7, then the 8X, then a brief detour with the L925 before coming back to HTC with the M8.

I really don't know where to go from here. I have an early upgrade available but with T-Mobile it's either the OneTouch or put the extra money up to get an unlocked device.
    Are you talking about the fierce xl? It's actually a pretty capable device. I am using mine interchangeably with Lumia 1520
    03-24-2016 02:00 AM
    I really Don't like the new Lumia phones, I am waiting to see the new HP, I don't want to give up on Windows phones just yet, but I am not very happy with Microsoft.
    Is the design of the new Lumia's? Personally I lole them and even more so you alter the looks or place in a case.

Specs wise they are awesome and they are also filky unlocked and likely supported the next few years. I wouldn't write them off just yet. Check out the Lumia 1520, which is still awesome as heck in 2016 and can be had for like $150-200 in us. As well as the 930. (unless you are Verizon )

Personally gsm+unlocked is the way to go.
    03-24-2016 02:03 AM
    OK, now I am totally confused.

Once HTC says that they can not give any details on the upgrade and MS says the M8 is not getting upgraded.
    Now HTC USA says that it will be updated after all??? WTF is happening now???

Frankly, the "limbo" we are in right now is worse than knowing for sure if it's a definite yes or a definite no...

No more limbo: https://twitter.com/HTCHelp/status/712793515512766464

But really, HTC??? Compatibility problems?? Really?!?!?!
    Last edited by kristofpetho; 03-24-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    03-24-2016 09:06 AM
    Sure use one Lumia to try and justify your point. It was already abandoned and allegedly the icon mau get it according to Gabe. Let's not forget the HTC 8xand 8s debacle with windows phone 8.1 and how they got screwed around.
    *cough* Lumia 810 *cough cough* and the ****storm Verizon Lumia 822 users made when it WASN'T initially going to get 8.1 to force VZW to change their minds.

Come on man. Nobody said HTC is perfect but get off their nuts man. Lumia hasn't been flawless either.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-24-2016 11:15 AM
    *cough* Lumia 810 *cough cough* and the ****storm Verizon Lumia 822 users made when it WASN'T initially going to get 8.1 to force VZW to change their minds.

Come on man. Nobody said HTC is perfect but get off their nuts man. Lumia hasn't been flawless either.

Okay and how many other phones did get the 8.1 update? The 810 and 822 were carrier variants which falls on them, not Nokia or Microsoft.

Not even the same comparison. Lumia is not perfect. But it's far better than HTC and I literally called this two years ago. Now even if HTC does come out with an update, it'll be like the 8x all over again. And even more so, if it does come out with an update, it's very likely it will get stuck on that version.

I did warn people to not go with HTC and these same people labeled me a fanboy(likely) but I'm using a Lumia 1520....a phone that came out nearly a year before the m8 and it's getting updated.

To the m8 owners, I do hope you guys don't let HTC taint your experience with windows 10 and simply join the 97% who use Lumia as aside from the dropping older hardware, we genuinely don't have this issue to this degree.

Even if you get that upgrade, it'll likely be the last update you get.
    Last edited by Nogitsune Micah; 03-24-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    03-24-2016 11:37 AM
    Okay and how many other phones did get the 8.1 update? The 810 and 822 were carrier variants which falls on them, not Nokia or Microsoft.

Not even the same comparison. Lumia is not perfect. But it's far better than HTC and I literally called this two years ago. Now even if HTC does come out with an update, it'll be like the 8x all over again. And even more so, if it does come out with an update, it's very likely it will get stuck on that version.

I did warn people to not go with HTC and these same people labeled me a fanboy(likely) but I'm using a Lumia 1520....a phone that came out nearly a year before the m8 and it's getting updated.

To the m8 owners, I do hope you guys don't let HTC taint your experience with windows 10 and simply join the 97% who use Lumia as aside from the dropping older hardware, we genuinely don't have this issue to this degree.

Even if you get that upgrade, it'll likely be the last update you get.
    Dude, the M8 is...a carrier phone. Just like the Icon, 810 and 822 so the comparison is totally applicable.

You know how US carriers are...last i remember you saying you worked for one. You've seen how T-Mobile threw away the 8X and M8, only giving each 1 update because 15 people bought both phones. Just like with Nokia and the 810, HTC doesn't gain anything by themselves choosing not to update the M8. Carrier variants fall...on the carriers. If there were low sales of a model, they won't update.

C'mon man!

Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 03-24-2016 at 06:22 PM.
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    03-24-2016 01:56 PM
    I just pulled this from an article here on WC.

HTC is passing on upgrading the One M8 to Windows 10 Mobile due to a small install base and the costs of paying carriers to test the update (versus any return benefit). Perhaps that is of no surprise as the company is struggling financially amongst fierce competition in the Android space.

Here's the link for the whole article on upgrades
    More than half of all active Windows Phones could update to Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

I got the M8 as a warranty exchange from the MS store. I wish I would have held onto my 830 if I knew this was going to happen. Maybe I can call AT&T and warranty out the phone and maybe get back an 830 thru the insurance...
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-24-2016 02:12 PM
    I just pulled this from an article here on WC.

HTC is passing on upgrading the One M8 to Windows 10 Mobile due to a small install base and the costs of paying carriers to test the update (versus any return benefit). Perhaps that is of no surprise as the company is struggling financially amongst fierce competition in the Android space.

Here's the link for the whole article on upgrades
    More than half of all active Windows Phones could update to Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

I got the M8 as a warranty exchange from the MS store. I wish I would have held onto my 830 if I knew this was going to happen. Maybe I can call AT&T and warranty out the phone and maybe get back an 830 thru the insurance...
    No surprises here. HTC actually did the smart thing by launching it in the US on the 3 carriers. If they were getting strong sales and people clamored for it overseas, there would have been an international model. Because sales were weak, they aren't going to update it. I don't think it is completely HTC per se, becuase they have the sales numbers from each carrier. Even HTC wanted to pay for it, I'm not sure if the carriers would make this a priority for them.

I'm not mad. I went through this with Micah's all-powerful, all-great and all-knowing Lumia line (the Lumia 810 and T-Mobile specifically) before. At least there is a stable build of Windows 10 to use...

Guytronic likes this.
    03-24-2016 06:32 PM
    No surprises here. HTC actually did the smart thing by launching it in the US on the 3 carriers. If they were getting strong sales and people clamored for it overseas, there would have been an international model. Because sales were weak, they aren't going to update it. I don't think it is completely HTC per se, becuase they have the sales numbers from each carrier. Even HTC wanted to pay for it, I'm not sure if the carriers would make this a priority for them.

I'm not mad. I went through this with Micah's all-powerful, all-great and all-knowing Lumia line (the Lumia 810 and T-Mobile specifically) before. At least there is a stable build of Windows 10 to use...

And with my all knowing and all great Lumia Line, I am getting the update and recently (today) updated to redstone.....Please don't use some outlier Lumia that wasn't even marketed in the least(810, 822) to try and support the fact that HTC does not support their phones. 8x and 8s owners got screwed over and pulled around.

The icon is an anomaly in and of itself...Thankfully they seem to be trying to get it updated. Fact of the matter is, I love how HTC is getting a free pass here (though the people on reddit aren't letting them get a free pass easily) because they literally made a guarantee to fully support this device for 2 years and they broke said guarantee. Their m8 is fully capable of running Windows 10 and they wont update it.

Lesson Learned for HTC users. If you are a Windows Phone fan

- Don't buy HTC or Samsung....SE owners are almost as screwed as M8 owners.
    - Don't buy a flagship Windows phone from Verizon or T-mobile (though T-Mobile seems to be doing fairly well).
    - Get a Lumia. While there are the rare case of them not being updated...there is not anywhere the level of stress and frustration because generally speaking your 2 year old Lumia(i.e Lumia 1520 and 930) will get supported/updated.

Also the m8 is not a carrier Variant.
    Yes, they are on 3 different Carriers (more than 810 and 822 were) but it is the same phone regardless.

The 810 is a carrier variant of the 820 and the 822 was the same. Att's 820(which is largely the same as the International 820 aside from carrier bands). Though if I recall the 822, did get denim so really your point lies with Lumia 810 which was doomed from the start.

Edit: Also comparing 2 mid-range phones (from 2012 or so at that) to a Flagship is hilarious. Even more so when you realize the hype the M8 got with that announcement and the fact that for nearly 2 years it was the only flagship available for people to choose (unfortunately for them).

The icon is the only true one you should be comparing it to and even then the Icon was screwed due to Verizon from the start in the first place. The m8 had three carriers and you mean to tell me that the M8 couldn't muster enough sells to warrant an update and/or HTC at least allowing Microsoft to continue insider previews? That's tragic.

I can almost understand the icon(being on one carrier) but the M8 windows survived longer than the Icon and SE I believe on Verizon...so obviously it had to sell somewhat decently for them to keep on the roster for well over a year and at Full 2 year pricing for a good while.

There is no justification for poor OEM support and this is why WIndows Phone users avoid non-lumia flagships because this is what happens when you get them. Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't remembering the Lumia roots and many are unhappy with 950 XL but I laugh when people blame Lumia fans for not buying OEM phones when no OEM has shown any sense of support aside from Blu and possibly, Alcatel.

Let's see what the Japanese OEMs can do and Acer and HP throughout 2016. But HTC should not be anyone's buy list (for Android or Windows) any longer because you get what you get. And for many of their android fans, that's nearly nothing....so you know the same applies double fort their windows users.
    Last edited by Nogitsune Micah; 03-25-2016 at 04:17 AM.
    03-25-2016 02:08 AM
    The bottom line is they told us they would support our phones with an update and now they are backing out, and if that was not bad enough they are kicking us out of the insider program also. They just stopped the car opened the door and kicked us to the curb and drove off. If I was other OEM's I would be very leery about dealing with Microsoft, Now I know HTC made the decision to not update the M8. But Microsoft made the decision to drop it out of the insider program and tell us to either drop back to 8.1 or just live with what you have and that's all there is. And not even a Kiss goodbye.

I don't know about the rest of you? We waited a long time for a new Flagship phone from Microsoft, and what do we get ( as fans) the 950 and 950XL, I was never so disappointed in my life, Nice shiny new hardware and software all wrapped up in Blah, then they start the little hints and innuendo about a fancy Surface phone that might, maybe, could be coming, just wait it will get better. The only hope Windows phone has of ever making it, is if the other OEM's start making Windows phones. I'm sorry as much as I like Windows, it will be shiny and pretty that draw the people. They kicked us with onedrive, now they kick us with Windows 10, I'm not going to bend over and let them do it again, at least with Android and it's OEM's I know what to expect.
    03-25-2016 10:58 AM
    I'm happy with Microsoft, but what HTC doesn't understand is that this makes you less likely to choose HTC next time, not go out and buy a new one. Between my wife and I we have had the HD2 (2), HD7, Radar, HTC 8X(2), HTC One M8. If they truly do not allow this upgrade, I'm done with HTC. I have the insider Windows 10 on it, it working fine and when the Surface phone arrives that will be my new phone. My wife long switched over to Lumia several years ago.
    03-25-2016 11:14 AM
    I'm happy with Microsoft, but what HTC doesn't understand is that this makes you less likely to choose HTC next time, not go out and buy a new one. Between my wife and I we have had the HD2 (2), HD7, Radar, HTC 8X(2), HTC One M8. If they truly do not allow this upgrade, I'm done with HTC. I have the insider Windows 10 on it, it working fine and when the Surface phone arrives that will be my new phone. My wife long switched over to Lumia several years ago.
    Your wife is a smart lady :)
    03-25-2016 11:34 AM
60 123