Up the creek again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Barnes

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Exactly what MS wants. You to buy a new windows phone, to use Windows 10. All about sales. I'm getting rid of my M8 tomorrow for an S7. I'm always let down by MS. Then they wonder why they don't sell.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Exactly what MS wants. You to buy a new windows phone, to use Windows 10. All about sales. I'm getting rid of my M8 tomorrow for an S7. I'm always let down by MS. Then they wonder why they don't sell.

....of course MS would like it if people bought a new W10 phone. They are a business, it's what they do. You say youre picking up a S7. Good for you, it looks nice...very expensive too. Will you complain when Samsung stop supporting updates? This is usually around 2 years on android flagships. So, let's recap...you don't want to have to buy a new Windows phone but you can spring for one of the most expensive android handsets just like that? Okay....

Factman

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
My biggest reason for wanting to switch is not OS upgrades for my phone, as the insiders ring took care of that, but the lack of business-related apps that would make my life easier. Unfortunately, many devs are only interested in the sales that go with IOS or Android. There have been some great Windows phones, but they have not kept up with the advances in the OS, nor have the devs been able to keep up with OS and hardware changes that have been too dramatic for their original code. So, it's a choice between limited apps/slow OS updates and ugly interface/etc. OR viruses and need to do regular maintenance to keep things running smoothly for the life of the phone. I think that makes my choice much clearer, unless there are leaps forward between now and upgrade time.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's why i use Android as my daily driver. While I'm not a heavy app user, there are certain apps i use that aren't on Windows. I could get away with a Windows phone and my Z3 Tablet Compact, but nothing out there really fits my needs hardware wise. I like the M8, but i want a better camera after compromising on cameras since i left the 925/1520/930.

Maybe I'll come back, maybe i won't. I'll still keep my M8 for a while though...

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I have never had a smartphone that wasn't some flavor of Windows/Microsoft. I used my TMobile Jump upgrade to move from the HTC M8 to the iPhone 6s+. The OS is boring, and in many ways it's a step backward. I hate the keyboard. All of that being said, the apps are top notch, and that has more than made up for the deficiencies of iOS. I've got two years with this phone, and then I'll see what MS is offering, if they are still in the mobile device market.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I left iOS for WP8, and I soon had my wife and other family members switch. The funny thing is, all the 640's and my wife's 1520 are getting W10. My m8 won't. I got the M8 thru MS for warranty since there was no more 830's. I have to wait and see how the HP Elite X3 is or something fairly equivalent. If all else, I might have to go back to iOS and pick up where I left off before I got the 520 in the summer of 2013

MercenaryOne

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
This really saddens me. Spending the amount I spent on for a flagship phone believing that I would always be kept up to date, and actually not, infuriates me. I have converted so many people at the company I work for from iOS and Android to WP, only for something like this to happen. I can't stand the Apple environment, nor the UI of any of their products, and the crap experience I have had with Android prior to switching to WP, I really have no option left.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This really saddens me. Spending the amount I spent on for a flagship phone believing that I would always be kept up to date, and actually not, infuriates me. I have converted so many people at the company I work for from iOS and Android to WP, only for something like this to happen. I can't stand the Apple environment, nor the UI of any of their products, and the crap experience I have had with Android prior to switching to WP, I really have no option left.

The best thing to do is go unlocked. Get your phone unlocked and use gsm carriers like att and tmobile. I never trust HTC with windows phone and tried to warn people who chose not to listen.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
This was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and it came at a time I was just switching carrier too. So after 5 1/2 years I've dumped WP for Android. Am I happy about that? Not at all, I miss WP, it's UI, navigation, tiles and smoothness.

But in return I've received so much functionality through apps we didn't have, and also apps feature stripped in their WP skin. My M8 is in the drawer, I will be holding onto it but I can do that minus the years of frustration and broken promises.

The plus side for a switcher like me is the MS support for Android. I only need a gmail account for store access. I use MS office, Outlook, Onedrive and Smartglass, no need for googles service'. I want to come back, I can anytime but won't until the things important to me improve.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Never again

HTC, has lost my business, after not supporting the M8 Winbows phone I will never buy any of their products again, I can see why they are circling the drain.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
This was the straw that broke the camels back for me, and it came at a time I was just switching carrier too. So after 5 1/2 years I've dumped WP for Android. Am I happy about that? Not at all, I miss WP, it's UI, navigation, tiles and smoothness.

But in return I've received so much functionality through apps we didn't have, and also apps feature stripped in their WP skin. My M8 is in the drawer, I will be holding onto it but I can do that minus the years of frustration and broken promises.

The plus side for a switcher like me is the MS support for Android. I only need a gmail account for store access. I use MS office, Outlook, Onedrive and Smartglass, no need for googles service'. I want to come back, I can anytime but won't until the things important to me improve.

A lot of people feel this way these days. My M8 is in my drawer for the same reasons. I've been on Windows since 2003 SE. My first Windows phone device was a HTC Touch, ironically. I want more functionality to better suit my needs, so I went back to Android. I wanted more from HTC with Windows, but I just think MSFT's strategy while possibly a good long term okay, has cost them users and OEMs in the interim.

I kinda yearn for the old HTC which was more developer friendly. But I think those days are gone, along with HTC's commitment to Windows. Kinda can't blame them as MSFT has always left behind some folks with every update since 2003 SE, but it is still sad all around.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not holding out hope as the M8 is not only a carrier phone, it is a US carrier phone. Remember the T-Mobile version didn't even have the latest WP 8.1 update. So while the hardware can run Windows 10, I doubt these US carriers will care enough to let the phone get updated.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Last edited:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Re: Never again

Reddit claims a tweet from HTC claims there will be an update but when I tweeted them yesterday they said there is no information as of yet on an update.

Besides, I am on Verizon so I am guessing no update

Sent from mTalk

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

I really Don't like the new Lumia phones, I am waiting to see the new HP, I don't want to give up on Windows phones just yet, but I am not very happy with Microsoft.

Auric Jarrel

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
First phone was T-Mobile SDA/HTC Tornado, then the T-Mobile Dash/HTC Excalibur, then the HD7, then the 8X, then a brief detour with the L925 before coming back to HTC with the M8.

I really don't know where to go from here. I have an early upgrade available but with T-Mobile it's either the OneTouch or put the extra money up to get an unlocked device.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Like the Lumia Icon?

Sent from mTalk
Sure use one Lumia to try and justify your point. It was already abandoned and allegedly the icon mau get it according to Gabe. Let's not forget the HTC 8xand 8s debacle with windows phone 8.1 and how they got screwed around.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
First phone was T-Mobile SDA/HTC Tornado, then the T-Mobile Dash/HTC Excalibur, then the HD7, then the 8X, then a brief detour with the L925 before coming back to HTC with the M8.

I really don't know where to go from here. I have an early upgrade available but with T-Mobile it's either the OneTouch or put the extra money up to get an unlocked device.

Are you talking about the fierce xl? It's actually a pretty capable device. I am using mine interchangeably with Lumia 1520

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I really Don't like the new Lumia phones, I am waiting to see the new HP, I don't want to give up on Windows phones just yet, but I am not very happy with Microsoft.

Is the design of the new Lumia's? Personally I lole them and even more so you alter the looks or place in a case.

Specs wise they are awesome and they are also filky unlocked and likely supported the next few years. I wouldn't write them off just yet. Check out the Lumia 1520, which is still awesome as heck in 2016 and can be had for like $150-200 in us. As well as the 930. (unless you are Verizon )

Personally gsm+unlocked is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb