How to install Redstone 14356

mountainkiter

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I was finally able to get the intraops tool on my htc work as in the initial description, however I had to use InteropToolsApp_beta_1.7_0.0.157.0_arm . the older and newer versions would get hung up when accessing "platform". This version shows up as an app rather than in settings. I followed the directions otherwise and updated to 14393.67 . Then after changing in settings to allow windows preview again, I was able to get the 14393.105 update and this is running very well. camera is working. I still have phone id set to 735, haven't changed back yet. pretty happy now.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes. But if your still on windows 8.1. I'm not sure you can get insider app anymore. Try getting the windows insider app. And if you get it. Go with release preview ring. Then follow these steps in the forum.

I'm on an old version of Windows 10 Mobile. Version 1511. OS Build: 10.0.10586.494. This version drives me crazy so I was hoping that Redstone was more stable and reliable.

And when you say "follow these steps", you are strictly referring to post #1? Do any of the steps have to be updated? I tried to follow thru all the pages and I just don't understand the language people are speaking. I guess it's because I've never done this kind of stuff before.

bennyhanna

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I have a new HTC One M8 only for the purpose to run WIN10 on it and you seem to have done this. I dont know why its not in the supported ring but can you forward me the steps you took to achieve this goal? Would be very greatful!

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Follow the posts in the early forum talk yes. But while your registry's are set for the Nokia phone you may want to turn your insider preview settings off or try switching release rings and this may trigger the red stone anniversary updates

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I was able to install the latest redstone build (14393.3) on my Verizon M8 and its working out suprisingly well for this being an unsupported device. I've posted instructions on how to do this below.

NOTE: THIS PHONE IS NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY THE REDSTONE BUILDS. I HAVE ONLY TESTED THIS USING BUILD 14393.3 ON THE INSIDER FAST RING. MY PHONE IS RUNNING ON VERIZON WIRELESS, THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK ON TMOBILE/AT&T/OTHER CARRIERS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK/DAMAGE YOUR PHONE OR LOSE YOUR DATA. BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU TRY THIS. IF ANY OF THESE STEPS SEEM TOO COMPLICATED DO NOT CONTINUE!

IMPORTANT NOTICE AS OF JULY 24, 2016! MICROSOFT HAS REMOVED THIS DEVICE FROM ALL RINGS OF THE INSIDER PROGRAM. IF YOU RESTORE TO WINDOWS PHONE 8.1, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 AGAIN. I'M WORKING ON A TUTORIAL TO GET BACK TO WINDOWS 10, AND I WILL POST THIS ONCE AVAILABLE.

NOTE ON THE VERIZON MODEL: DO NOT HARD RESET AFTER THE UPGRADE! YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA AND MMS APN! - I'm going to reset mine to 8.1 and upgrade again, which should give me back data access. I've found Verizon APNs online, but I'm not sure if these will work or not- if I find out I will update this post.

If you're using a different carrier, your model numbers may be different- write them down somewhere as you will need them after you install the update. To install redstone, we're essentially going to change our phone's model number to a redstone supported model and then change it back after the update has installed. The Lumia 735 seems to work, so I'm going to use that model.

What you'll need:
  • Interop Tools installed on your phone
  • Windows Insider app

Modifying the registry:
  1. Open Interop Tools (Settings->Extras)
  2. Click the "Registry Browser" button
  3. Open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
  4. Open "SYSTEM"
  5. Open "Platform"
  6. Open "DeviceTargetingInfo"
  7. Open "PhoneManufacturer"
  8. In the "Value Data" field, enter "NOKIA" (all caps). Click "Write"
  9. Open "PhoneManufacturerModelName"
  10. In the "Value Data" field, enter "RM-1089_1087". Click "Write"
  11. Open "PhoneModelName"
  12. In the "Value Data" field, enter "Lumia 735". Click "Write"

Once you have modified the registry, open the Windows Insider app and join the fast ring. Reboot your device when prompted. After the reboot, check for updates and you should start downloading the latest redstone build. Once this has installed (it will take a while- took about 15 minutes on my phone) follow the steps below to restore your previous registry values- this seemed to fix some minor issues I noticed when using the phone after the update.

1. Open Interop Tools (Settings->Extras)
  2. Click the "Registry Browser" button
  3. Open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
  4. Open "SYSTEM"
  5. Open "Platform"
  6. Open "DeviceTargetingInfo"
  7. Open "PhoneManufacturer"
  8. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC" (all caps). Click "Write"
  9. Open "PhoneManufacturerModelName"
  10. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC6995LVW". Click "Write"
  11. Open "PhoneModelName"nice work
  12. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC6995LVW". Click "Write"

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm on an old version of Windows 10 Mobile. Version 1511. OS Build: 10.0.10586.494. This version drives me crazy so I was hoping that Redstone was more stable and reliable.

And when you say "follow these steps", you are strictly referring to post #1? Do any of the steps have to be updated? I tried to follow thru all the pages and I just don't understand the language people are speaking. I guess it's because I've never done this kind of stuff before.

Yes its pretty simple actually. Your hardest part is going to be getting "interop tools" app. there is a link somewhere in this forum to XDA developer website who has it. you will need to put your phone in developer mode to allow it to download it because you are essentially installing an app that's not from the windows store. Then you will need an app to extract a compressed or zip file, that app you can get from the windows store. And developer mode can be turned on and off as needed in your phone update settings area. Then once you have "interop tools" proceed to these directions from benj

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
This part makes me nervous:

"NOTE ON THE VERIZON MODEL: DO NOT HARD RESET AFTER THE UPGRADE! YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA AND MMS APN!"

What does this warning mean? It doesn't mean that I can't reboot the phone, right? Maybe it's his phrasing. Because in my mind, a hard reset is equivalent to a cold boot. Does he actually mean "reset to factory"?

Yes its pretty simple actually. Your hardest part is going to be getting "interop tools" app. there is a link somewhere in this forum to XDA developer website who has it. you will need to put your phone in developer mode to allow it to download it because you are essentially installing an app that's not from the windows store. Then you will need an app to extract a compressed or zip file, that app you can get from the windows store. And developer mode can be turned on and off as needed in your phone update settings area. Then once you have "interop tools" proceed to these directions from benj

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes hard reset meaning factory. I have never needed to do this. But I will say on occasion the phone does get a bit wonky and then I just soft reset or just a regular reboot. Soft reset is holding volume down and power together until reboot. A hard reset I'm not sure but it's a long series of steps that you can't mistake. Usually just power off and on works fine.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I can't seem to get this interops to install.

I set the phone to developer mode.
I downloaded InteropTools Releases.zip to my PC and extracted it.
I emailed InteropToolsApp_0.0.173.0_arm.appxbundle to myself.
I checked my email on the phone and saved the file to my SD card.
I went to file explorer to install the file. It happened really quick which made me wonder if it really installed.
I went to Settings > Extras. and it's not there.

I also browsed through all my apps and it's not there either.

Okay, then I followed Teddy's thing by installing the dependencies.
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3.appx
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4.appx
Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.12.00.Universal.appx
Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.14.00.appx

Still no good. No Interops

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
After you install those .NET packages, you can tap the interop tools app you have there and it should install. There is another more advanced method that works using the WinAppDeployCmd.exe via the Windows 10 SDK.

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the latest cumulative update 14393.187 is downloading right now. Using NOKIA Lumia 950 settings.

Update: Installing it now. Will update again if successful.

Update 2: Finished installing without errors. :D

Last edited:

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Okay, so I can't seem to get this interops to install.

I set the phone to developer mode.
I downloaded InteropTools Releases.zip to my PC and extracted it.
I emailed InteropToolsApp_0.0.173.0_arm.appxbundle to myself.
I checked my email on the phone and saved the file to my SD card.
I went to file explorer to install the file. It happened really quick which made me wonder if it really installed.
I went to Settings > Extras. and it's not there.

I also browsed through all my apps and it's not there either.

Okay, then I followed Teddy's thing by installing the dependencies.
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3.appx
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4.appx
Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.12.00.Universal.appx
Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.14.00.appx

Still no good. No Interops
I remember having an issue with downloading the right file so look closely at that, and I downloaded it right to my phone and extracted it on my phone. Not sure if that will make much of a difference.

Brandon_T_R

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I'm using an HTC One M8 so I can't help you to resolve your issue immediately. I will however do some research on your behalf.

Update ... Ok I managed to install W10 on my HTC One M8 from WP8.1 Update 2 ( No thanks to Microsoft for removing the M8 from TP supported devices.) ... Now trying to work my way up to AU & then Redstone.

Update .. 14393.67 is currently downloading. WooooWiieee !!!!

Update ... 14393.67 Installed to my HTC ONE M8 after going back to WP8.1 U2.

After following the steps outlined in this thread, I was able to upgrade to Redstone and had been running on 10 for the past few months. Unfortunately, I had to use the recovery tool on my HTC One m8 after the latest fast ring build didn't work (back to 8.1 :crying:). To get back to 10, I've tried following the steps on the Russian site linked in the other post, but I keep getting an error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\bin\i386>iutool.exe -V -p "C:\cabs"

(IUTool Version: 13:54:04/Apr 29 2015)

Log file: C:\Users\XXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\IUTool-{299338D7-E9AD-4D02-BD74-B341894FDEEF}.etl

[1] Started device ee881d62d4369c153805e1ac33129480
[1] Transferring files started
[1] Transferred file 1/1
[1] Transferring files complete: 1 file
[1] Update started
[1] Installation failed (HRESULT = 0x801882c1)
[1] Failed (0x801882c1)

ERROR: 0x801882c1

Command failed. (HRESULT = 0x801882c1)

Any ideas about how to solve this issue or another workaround?

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm that the latest cumulative update 14393.187 is downloading right now. Using NOKIA Lumia 950 settings.

Update: Installing it now. Will update again if successful.

Update 2: Finished installing without errors. :D

Are you using Lumia 950 settings on Verizon carrier or are you on a different carrier? And if so what are you registry plug in's

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you using Lumia 950 settings on Verizon carrier or are you on a different carrier? And if so what are you registry plug in's

I am using the Lumia 950 settings and I'm on T-Mobile. I haven't even bothered reverting my settings back to the M8s since it'll have to be changed again anyway. I am also not downloading fast ring builds, only release preview.

As for being on T-Mobile, I didn't change anything else other than what is outlined in the steps of the OP. My data has continued to work as well as everything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb