How to install Redstone 14356

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Did the whole Interop Tools process again last night, and got updated to 14393.693
Don't see anything dramatically different, but I'll try to give you all an update after I use it for a week or two.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The phone locked up today. I went to the store this afternoon, and it said I had 17 updates waiting. Did those. Then I tried using AutoGaugeX with my bluetooth OBD device, and it would only connect one of five times. I was later browsing the Stream.org and didn't notice any issues. But when we went to dinner, and I pulled the phone out, all I could see was the white icons across the top and the soft buttons at the bottom. No matter what button I pushed I got no response. Even holding the power button down about 15 seconds did nothing. So I shoved it back in the holster. Checked about 15 minutes later, and it acted like the battery had drained. At least the screen was off. Tried the power button and nothing.
We just got back home and I plugged it in. The red led came on. Haven't tried anything else yet. In the meantime, I'm back to my Tilt2.
[edit] So after about 20 min on the charger, I tried the power button. Zip. Tried the power and vol up for 10 seconds. Nada. Power and vol down button for 10 sec. Nada. Tried the power button again, only got to six seconds when the phone booted. Seems to be back to normal. But this is the second time in a month or two this has happened.

Last edited:

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
To clean everything up, including possible stuck installs/updates, I suggest you do a soft reset once the phone is fully charged. Hold power and volume down buttons until it resets (about 10 seconds). You should do a soft reset every time your phone locks up so you can possibly cleanup any issues. This also takes you first to the Windows Insider Input page but just continue holding power & volume down until it resets. I'm now on release 15014 using the Fast Ring. No problems so far.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Fast Ring. When you switch to Fast, it may take a few days to get the new release. I too had bugs on 14965; running much better on 15007. One additional thing good about this release, if you like it, you can put a 45 days pause for getting any new releases which means you can stay on Fast ring and let others try it out first but still get new releases faster than Slow Ring. I'm staying on Fast Ring because I want to get a release a.s.a.p. that allows me to turn off Backup Assistant Plus (Verizon) because it uses too much battery even though I don't use that App. This release finally allows the BAP App to show under settings/Apps but the ability to Uninstall it is greyed out so it doesn't work yet but I assume it will eventually.
Thanks for the info. I'll try the fast as well.

Cheers

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
For those on Verizon having issues with Backup Assistant Plus causing unnecessary battery drain and phone heating even though you aren't running the App, I have found the fix. Go to Settings/Privacy/Contacts and turn off BAP so it can't use your contacts. Since that App is used to backup contacts to the Verizon Cloud (unnecessary because we backup everything to the Microsoft Cloud), not giving the App access to your contacts basically stops the App. I've gotten about 20% more battery since I block contacts 4 days ago.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Wayne, I went ahead and renamed my phone and hit the slow ring. I got update 14965.1001 which you said was buggy. So, I'm switching to Fast Ring just to get 15007. Do headphones/earbuds work okay with that build?
As for putting a hold on Insider updates, you get NONE when you rename your phone back to HTC One M8. :D

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I don't use headphones/earbuds so I can't give you input on that.

I'm not sure what you mean about renaming your Phone back to HTC One M8 and not getting further updates? I changed my phone back to being named HTC once the first update happened many months ago and I have gotten every update since? Putting updates on a 45 day hold is a new option I saw on the Redstone Build Tracker website, http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...ild-tracker-mobile#slide-0-field_images-77391 . I don't know how it work as I like to get all new updates as they come down.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Oh really? When I rename mine back I don't get any update notices. Hmmm.
If headphones don't work, that's kind of a deal breaker for me. Not every vehicle of mine has Bluetooth...

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Wayne,

I've been following the forum and taking advice for months. Thank you so much.

I'm a Verizon user and had to finally stop using my HTC M8 because the battery drain was killing me. I've now made he registry change and updated to 14393 and changed the Verizon backup contact settings, as you suggested, in hopes that my battery will perform better.

My questions are:
1. If I change the registry back to the HTC settings, will I stop receiving updates from Windows Insider?
2. Is there any reason not to keep the Nokia settings on the HTC phone?

Thank you

DBT

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Yes you will still get Windows Insider updates if you change the phone setting back to HTC. No there is no reason why you can't leave it on Nokia. So, either way is fine.

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
For those on Verizon having issues with Backup Assistant Plus causing unnecessary battery drain and phone heating even though you aren't running the App, I have found the fix. Go to Settings/Privacy/Contacts and turn off BAP so it can't use your contacts. Since that App is used to backup contacts to the Verizon Cloud (unnecessary because we backup everything to the Microsoft Cloud), not giving the App access to your contacts basically stops the App. I've gotten about 20% more battery since I block contacts 4 days ago.

Any other battery saving tricks on this model? I still seem to get much faster drain than my Lumia 735, doing exactly the same things.

(I bought the 735 as a downgrade for my HTC M8 because the battery had gotten so bad it was almost unusable...and the fact that it was no longer on the Insider build list. I've now used the advice here to get back on the Insider Fast Ring, but the battery issues even after turning of BAP contacts still seems to exist.)

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
It's odd. After turning off BAP access to my contacts, my battery last much longer but I still randomly have BAP drain the battery but then I can go a few days without it using any battery. I check the Battery App Usage many times during the day trying to see when BAP is using power and can't narrow it down. Sometimes it uses battery in the morning others in the evening and then not for days but most often it seems to be using battery when I'm using Bluetooth or talking on the phone. I can always tell when BAP is using battery as the phone gets hot. If I catch when BAP battery usage is high, I turn the battery saver on for a few minutes which stops most Apps. Then when I turn off battery saver, my phone has cooled down and BAP App goes down on the list of battery App usage.

I'm at the point of considering doing a reset back to W8.1 then doing the whole W10 install process again to see if it clears BAP. The key is to make sure you don't even start up BAP after a reset. I opened the BAP App after an update a couple months ago to see if there were any new options to uninstall or turn it off but I didn't accept the Verizon agreement on the first page so I assumed BAP didn't start but now I'm thinking maybe it did. My current battery usage is reasonable now with BAP only periodically draining the battery so I guess I'm ok but my OCD kicks in and I want to fix it.

Question for you, when you started W10 recently, did you allow the BAP to set up during the start up process? If you did, that's your "bad" battery usage issue so you'll have to do a hard reset and start from scratch. If you skipped the BAP during startup and have never opened the BAP App and are still having battery problems and seeing excess battery use, then me doing a hard reset on mine just to stop BAP won't help me so I'm stuck with what I got.

I have asked others on this forum using W10 and Verizon to call Verizon to complain and ask them to add an option to uninstall or simply turn off BAP from your Verizon website account. They said they know of the problem with W10 users but they have no fix yet but said if enough people ask for the fix they may eventually make one. W10 finally has a BAP "uninstall" button under Apps but currently it is greyed out so can't be used... yet.

However, we all know Verizon is trying to get everyone to buy a new phone and drop W10 altogether so you would think Microsoft would make a fix to block BAP to keep their W10 users but is Microsoft really even in the Phone business anymore or just doing the W10-phone updates to make it look like they are even making an effort to compete? My OCD just won't let me move on although an Android phone is in my horizon especially since Microsoft is making Android Apps for everything from Office to Outlook to Onedrive to Onenote, everything Microsoft offers so again.... are they really even competing in the phone business anymore,

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It's odd. After turning off BAP access to my contacts, my battery last much longer but I still randomly have BAP drain the battery but then I can go a few days without it using any battery. I check the Battery App Usage many times during the day trying to see when BAP is using power and can't narrow it down. Sometimes it uses battery in the morning others in the evening and then not for days but most often it seems to be using battery when I'm using Bluetooth or talking on the phone. I can always tell when BAP is using battery as the phone gets hot. If I catch when BAP battery usage is high, I turn the battery saver on for a few minutes which stops most Apps. Then when I turn off battery saver, my phone has cooled down and BAP App goes down on the list of battery App usage.

I'm at the point of considering doing a reset back to W8.1 then doing the whole W10 install process again to see if it clears BAP. The key is to make sure you don't even start up BAP after a reset. I opened the BAP App after an update a couple months ago to see if there were any new options to uninstall or turn it off but I didn't accept the Verizon agreement on the first page so I assumed BAP didn't start but now I'm thinking maybe it did. My current battery usage is reasonable now with BAP only periodically draining the battery so I guess I'm ok but my OCD kicks in and I want to fix it.

Question for you, when you started W10 recently, did you allow the BAP to set up during the start up process? If you did, that's your "bad" battery usage issue so you'll have to do a hard reset and start from scratch. If you skipped the BAP during startup and have never opened the BAP App and are still having battery problems and seeing excess battery use, then me doing a hard reset on mine just to stop BAP won't help me so I'm stuck with what I got.

I have asked others on this forum using W10 and Verizon to call Verizon to complain and ask them to add an option to uninstall or simply turn off BAP from your Verizon website account. They said they know of the problem with W10 users but they have no fix yet but said if enough people ask for the fix they may eventually make one. W10 finally has a BAP "uninstall" button under Apps but currently it is greyed out so can't be used... yet.

However, we all know Verizon is trying to get everyone to buy a new phone and drop W10 altogether so you would think Microsoft would make a fix to block BAP to keep their W10 users but is Microsoft really even in the Phone business anymore or just doing the W10-phone updates to make it look like they are even making an effort to compete? My OCD just won't let me move on although an Android phone is in my horizon especially since Microsoft is making Android Apps for everything from Office to Outlook to Onedrive to Onenote, everything Microsoft offers so again.... are they really even competing in the phone business anymore,
Well, unfortunately, I did not setup BAP or start it, so I guess that means we are still in the middle of the problem.

I love the W10 OS and really don't want to give up my glance screen but at some point it's either drop Verizon or consider a Samsung Edge, I guess. I hate the thought of a bunch of icons instead of an intelligent set of live tiles.

The new HP phone looks pretty solid (although expensive), but again, no Verizon option. Is Verizon that much better than everyone else?

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I did not setup BAP or start it, so I guess that means we're in for the same battery issues.

I'd really like to stay with W10 mobile because I love the glance screen with live tiles and far prefer it to a screen full of icons. Of course, that means waiting to see if Verizon ever supports a Windows phone or switching to ATT or someone else. Is the Verizon network really that much better?

Outside of that, I guess grabbing a Samsung Edge would be my next move. I think the new (really expensive) HP Windows phone looks great, but again, no Verizon.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I doubt Verizon is really that much better than any of the big providers. I've been with Verizon since they were OneTouch so 20+ years so basically it's just my OCD that doesn't let me change providers. However, Verizon is the only provider with BAP so others with the HTC 8 on differ providers aren't having the BAP battery usage issue. I'm going to see if AT&T has any Windows phones or see if they will allow my current HTC 8 (I luv this phone) to be used on their service. That's a sure fix to dropping BAP if they allow it.

I was just on the phone for an hour and it's now hot and the BAP App is at 97% of my battery usage so I just put on the battery saver to stop the App so it can cool down and save my battery. Absolutely CRAZY...

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Could one of you that is using a 15000 variety tell me if your earbuds with microphone works with that build? Mine still works with 14965, but is a little quirky. When the phone rings, it doesn't ring in my earbuds, the phone itself rings. But when I hit the button to answer, the phone works with the earbuds as it should. Anyone else experience this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes