How to install Redstone 14356

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Could one of you that is using a 15000 variety tell me if your earbuds with microphone works with that build? Mine still works with 14965, but is a little quirky. When the phone rings, it doesn't ring in my earbuds, the phone itself rings. But when I hit the button to answer, the phone works with the earbuds as it should. Anyone else experience this?
I'm stuck on 14393, waiting for the next boost.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm already on 15025 which is the third 15000 update already. 14393 is the Slow Ring setting on Windows Insider. I suggest changing your ring to Fast to get the latest updates to 15025 and then set your ring back to Slow if you want to wait awhile for other new updates. 15025 is way better than 14393 with very little noteworthy bugs.

daveb673, I see nobody has answered your earbuds question yet. I'm on 15025 but I don't use earbuds so I can't help you with that one

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Did you have to change your registry settings back to a Lumia 735 in order to get further updates after the initial upgrade to redstone? I don't remember what build I got initially when I updated the registry and I'm not sure if it downloaded updates since. For the updates I'm installing now, I changed the registry back to a Lumia 735. Maybe that's why it's getting stuck for me...

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
My HTC (settings changed to Lumia 735) got the 393, then I changed the settings back to HTC and it has not gotten anymore updates. Maybe I need to change it back to being called the Nokia Lumia 735 to continue to get updates?

My actual Lumia 735 just got the 15025 about 5 minutes ago.

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, confirmed that's the case on my phone. If I change registry settings to Lumia it has updates available. If I change back to HTC One M8, no updates.

Has anyone here upgraded to 15025 successfully on a one M8? If so, any issues?

Also, are people keeping the registry settings set to a Lumia 735 or just changing them back/forth every time they update?

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
When I first started Redstone I changed my phone to Lumia, updated, then changed my settings back to HTC and have gotten all the updates to date; I'm now on 15025. However, if anyone is having an issue with updates when changing it back to HTC, why not just leave your phone on Lumia.

FYI, the 15000 update series has really helped battery life over 14393 (except those using Verizon still have issues with BAP but it's also much better).

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I put my phone on "Fast Ring" almost a week ago, and haven't seen any updates. Will change it to Lumia info and see what happens. Still on 14965.1001
Went into Interop to switch data, rebooted phone. Still no updates?!

[edit] Have been running with "Fast Ring" and Lumia 735 settings for a few days now. Nada on updates.

Last edited:

xForTheWin

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
How is the 15025 working out for your HTC m8? I'm sitting on Redstone 1 at 10.0.14393.67 and afraid to move on since it's my daily driver... I originally had my m8 (on AT&T - used registry edits to mimic Lumia 735 and get from 8.1 ver2 to the 10 preview) set to fast ring and flew past the 10.0.14393.67, but quickly got caught in a failure-to-fully-boot loop, so I had to throw my hands up and start over...

The version I'm on is pretty solid for my m8, only a few crashes when using heavy resource apps like the camera, people hub (I have a crap ton of contacts), and forgetting to clear multitasking building up. I've cleaned out all my old 8.1 apps and started fresh from the win10 app store since opening those caused of a lot of crashes.

Is it really that much better on the other side of Redstone (going to 2)? What makes it worth opening up my ring setting again to move forward?

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I love the HTC M8, but shut it down because the BAP seems to be an issue that will not stop the battery drain. I broke down and bought an old Nokis 929 for Verizon and am currently in the process of upgrading it to W10, on the Fast Ring.

The memory kinda sucks, at only 32g, but I'm hoping it will work well until a new W10 phones hits Verizon.

If a solution is found to BAP or the battery drain on the HTC, I'll go back to it.

Last edited:

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, just fyi, I stayed on the Fast Ring with my 929 and the latest build killed Bluetooth and screwed up another few things. I'm going to rebuild back to 14393, then go to the Slow Ring.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I love the HTC M8, but shut it down because the BAP seems to be an issue that will not stop the battery drain. I broke down and bought an old Nokis 929 for Verizon and am currently in the process of upgrading it to W10, on the Fast Ring.

The memory kinda sucks, at only 32g, but I'm hoping it will work well until a new W10 phones hits Verizon.

If a solution is found to BAP or the battery drain on the HTC, I'll go back to it.

Why not stick a micro SD card in it? I use a 64GB card, works very well.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand why any Windows Phone would work differently, concerning BAP, when using W10 since you're using the same Software but in a different model/make of Phone and we are fooling W10 into thinking we are using a Lumia not a HTC?

When using your 929, did you set up BAP with the W10 install and if so, any problems with the battery on that phone? Since you have two phones, have you tried fully setting up BAP on the HTC, W10, and then set the backup to "manual" so maybe it doesn't run in the background? Maybe our trying to block it is what is causing the battery drain issue since it gets stuck when trying to run automatically?

I've never used BAP so now I'm thinking I may want to try setting it up fully/properly and seeing if it simply works correctly, not draining the battery, if it is used correctly instead of trying to block it. However, I'm on 15025 and am very happy with this release so I would be very upset if I did a hard reset to start over installing W10 and try to use BAP properly but not be able to get past 14393 like some of you look to be having an issue getting to 15025.

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why any Windows Phone would work differently, concerning BAP, when using W10 since you're using the same Software but in a different model/make of Phone and we are fooling W10 into thinking we are using a Lumia not a HTC?

When using your 929, did you set up BAP with the W10 install and if so, any problems with the battery on that phone? Since you have two phones, have you tried fully setting up BAP on the HTC, W10, and then set the backup to "manual" so maybe it doesn't run in the background? Maybe our trying to block it is what is causing the battery drain issue since it gets stuck when trying to run automatically?

I've never used BAP so now I'm thinking I may want to try setting it up fully/properly and seeing if it simply works correctly, not draining the battery, if it is used correctly instead of trying to block it. However, I'm on 15025 and am very happy with this release so I would be very upset if I did a hard reset to start over installing W10 and try to use BAP properly but not be able to get past 14393 like some of you look to be having an issue getting to 15025.

I didn't set up BAP on either phone. I'm not certain that BAP is the battery culprit on HTC. I just mentioned it be I believe your theory that there is something related to it running in the background on the HTC. Obviously, there is something else going on on the HTC also.

The 929 seems to be running great, but I won't be able to really test the battery until I travel Thursday/Friday. That will have me draining it like crazy on airplanes and the like and will let me really see if it holds the charge better than the HTC.

Loading that 15031 was a huge mistake, though, as it killed the Bluetooth. I'm hoping for a new release/fix soon.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I know BAP is 100% the battery draining issue with the HTC because under settings/system/battery/battery usage by app, it shows all Apps that are in use with their percentage of total battery use. When my battery is doing great, BAP is either way down on the usage list or not on the list at all. When my battery is draining and my phone gets warm, BAP is at the top of the list with usage as high as 70-90% of the total Apps in use. I watch the Battery App usage settings many times each day trying to figure out when BAP is trying to run but no luck so far as it's random. This is why I'm thinking about starting up my BAP correctly on my HTC and seeing if I can set it to "manual" backup instead of "auto" backup thus hopefully stopping the App from even running unless I want it to run. I used BAP (worked great) back when I had a Blackberry and remembered it had the "manual" backup setting option so????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss