How to install Redstone 14356

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
15245 didn't fix anything. Still same problems: rotation issues, random screen locks, lost One Drive so had to delete the App and reinstall, Weather wasn't working after update but is now, generally reboots fix everything, etc., etc. I have another week before I have to use my new Moto or send it back so looks like I'll be going to the Moto next week since Windows still isn't fixing anything with their updates and I've given them another month since I received the new Moto hoping they would since BAP is now fixed.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, build 15245 is even worse. The screen rotation seems to be better, but I've had 3 random phone reboots that I'm aware of, the same number of phone lockups. Way back at 15063 was better, if I recall correctly. Sigh. I just about did a full reset back to Windows Phone 8.1 over the weekend, cuz I was getting fed up...but I decided to reboot and take a breath first.
At least the camera takes pictures correctly now, instead of being locked into the wrong orientation like builds 15240 and/or 15237. Which reminds me, the selfie camera caused a crash also this weekend.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Dave...I'm now using the new Moto z2 Android. I've spent days, probably 80 hrs, getting it set up. Everything that doesn't work, which there are a lot of "known" bugs, Google says to install another App. but many of them conflict with the Android software so I fix one issue only to have another. I could give you a long list of crazy things this new Android doesn't do compared to W10. Obviously they don't want to do their own software development so they rely on 3rd party Apps to fix their problems. During problem research, many of their bugs are months & years old with no fixes. The only good thing is there are tons of Apps compared to W10. I now have 123 Apps installed trying to get the phone to do things my HTC W10 did. I hate this phone.

Though this has little to do with this W10 forum.... my suggestion; stick with W10 as long as you can. The problems I had with W10, other than BAP, where no worse than this new Android but the benefits of W10 out weight the negatives.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The good news about build 15245 is it looks like the store got fixed. And my camera rotation was normal. Build 15250 installed overnight...

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
15250 was better than 245. I'd leave a longer list of eval, but it wasn't a couple days after 250 got installed that 252 arrived. The annoying text overlay issue got resolved with 252. In 250, occasionally I'd see one text message listed directly on top of another one. Had to leave messages and then go back in, and that'd clear it.
One thing I have noticed: if I lock rotation with my phone and take a picture, the camera locks rotation of the picture. not sure if that's good or bad.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Build 15252 still doing pretty good. Had a random reboot late last week, but none since then. There is a bit of a screen rotation bug that showed up today, but nothing worrisome. I just rebooted the phone, and rotation went back to normal.
Runmaster Pro works correctly again!
And, I don't recall any random screen locks. The phone has lagged once when I wanted to hang up, but I think I hit the Windows button, then back arrow and was able to hang up the call.
In other news, for those who want a slider keyboard, I just bought one originally for a Galaxy S4. The HTC One M8 fits (I compared the sizes on gsmarena before ordering), you just need to trim the plastic where the volume buttons are (they are wider than the pre-made gap), and shave a little on the top edge to let the curved back fit a little better. The main camera works well through the camera hole in the phone holder. The phone does stick past the edge with the duo camera, but that's the only obvious clue it's not for this phone.

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Updated to 15252 yesterday. Seems mostly fine so far aside from a reboot while using Edge.

I've also noticed that the camera seems to honor the rotation lock (which I usually have on now due to the rotation sticking bug so I don't get randomly stuck in landscape mode in apps that support it). A bit annoying, but then, it's just another quirky thing with my phone....

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, not up and running on 15254.1. It didn't brick my phone so I guess that's good. I'll update in the next day or 2 if I run into any issues. I'm really guessing none of the issues we've been experiencing (is there a "we" anymore?) in this thread.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Build 15254.1 installed here as well. Do not see any dramatic differences; must have been a bunch of nit-noid items in this one. Already saw the rotation issue, and a delayed hangup on the phone, so those are still like the previous builds.
That said, still a great phone that I'll keep using until it decides to quit...

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
My front camera seems to work fine on 15254. But, I also changed my camera quick button to use HTC Camera quite some time ago, as the Windows camera app gave me fits.
Had a random reboot yesterday. Phone seems to be a little slow to hang up, but haven't seen it hang yet.

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. It does seem to work fine with the htc camera (just don't really know the app and the layout seems funky). I surprisingly haven't seen the rotation stick on the current version (I'm sure it will at some point). Overall this build has been pretty stable though.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Just FYI for those who might be experiencing the same issues I was. Screen rotation was becoming a royal pain; the phone wouldn't consistently rotate correctly more than a day. Bluetooth really started dorking up, such that the phone dropped a couple phone calls.
So, I decided I'd go into settings and force it to do a factory reset, fully expecting I'd end up back on WP 8. Which would be okay, not great. However, to my surprise, it stayed with WM10, build 15254.12
Phone works much better so far. Haven't had to reset it yet, and it's been two days. Wifi was out at my house (unfortunately), so my backup didn't return like I expected, but contacts were there, and I've been able to avoid reinstalling a bunch of stuff I wasn't using. Screen rotation still works as you would expect. All in all, things are good. And, I'm not in a hurry to replace my M8 with something else.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Well I have finally made my move to Android. Farewell Windows 10 mobile. My 950 was a great device but unfortunately that too is falling victim to neglect.

And my thoughts are that Windows 10 mobile is a far better OS. I'm bummed, but I need a reliable device. Hopefully Microsoft will give us loyal fans some kind of reliable mobile future. Because I miss the integrity from phone, to pc, to Xbox, already.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I switched to the Android Moto Z 9 months ago but kept my HTC going as a second phone. It's much better when I can play with it rather than having it as my only phone but then it's finding the time to play with it. The best thing about Android is all the Apps that Windows doesn't have but Android has it's own issue the worst being none of the messaging Apps work as well as Cortona/Windows. None of them can read and respond to text messages through a car's speakers using Bluetooth; text reading/responding by voice only comes over the phone so is very difficult when driving...crazy. But I still like Windows OS much better and hope to switch back when/if they ever come out with a new Windows Phone. I keep up with the comments so am waiting for one of you to finally say there is a new Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea