10-17-2017 08:40 AM
412 123 ...
tools
    I was able to install the latest redstone build (14393.3) on my Verizon M8 and its working out suprisingly well for this being an unsupported device. I've posted instructions on how to do this below.

NOTE: THIS PHONE IS NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY THE REDSTONE BUILDS. I HAVE ONLY TESTED THIS USING BUILD 14393.3 ON THE INSIDER FAST RING. MY PHONE IS RUNNING ON VERIZON WIRELESS, THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK ON TMOBILE/AT&T/OTHER CARRIERS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK/DAMAGE YOUR PHONE OR LOSE YOUR DATA. BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU TRY THIS. IF ANY OF THESE STEPS SEEM TOO COMPLICATED DO NOT CONTINUE!

IMPORTANT NOTICE AS OF JULY 24, 2016! MICROSOFT HAS REMOVED THIS DEVICE FROM ALL RINGS OF THE INSIDER PROGRAM. IF YOU RESTORE TO WINDOWS PHONE 8.1, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 AGAIN. I'M WORKING ON A TUTORIAL TO GET BACK TO WINDOWS 10, AND I WILL POST THIS ONCE AVAILABLE.

NOTE ON THE VERIZON MODEL: DO NOT HARD RESET AFTER THE UPGRADE! YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA AND MMS APN! - I'm going to reset mine to 8.1 and upgrade again, which should give me back data access. I've found Verizon APNs online, but I'm not sure if these will work or not- if I find out I will update this post.

If you're using a different carrier, your model numbers may be different- write them down somewhere as you will need them after you install the update. To install redstone, we're essentially going to change our phone's model number to a redstone supported model and then change it back after the update has installed. The Lumia 735 seems to work, so I'm going to use that model.

What you'll need:
    • Interop Tools installed on your phone
    • Windows Insider app

Modifying the registry:
    1. Open Interop Tools (Settings->Extras)
    2. Click the "Registry Browser" button
    3. Open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    4. Open "SYSTEM"
    5. Open "Platform"
    6. Open "DeviceTargetingInfo"
    7. Open "PhoneManufacturer"
    8. In the "Value Data" field, enter "NOKIA" (all caps). Click "Write"
    9. Open "PhoneManufacturerModelName"
    10. In the "Value Data" field, enter "RM-1089_1087". Click "Write"
    11. Open "PhoneModelName"
    12. In the "Value Data" field, enter "Lumia 735". Click "Write"

Once you have modified the registry, open the Windows Insider app and join the fast ring. Reboot your device when prompted. After the reboot, check for updates and you should start downloading the latest redstone build. Once this has installed (it will take a while- took about 15 minutes on my phone) follow the steps below to restore your previous registry values- this seemed to fix some minor issues I noticed when using the phone after the update.

4. Open "SYSTEM"
    5. Open "Platform"
    8. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC" (all caps). Click "Write"
    10. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC6995LVW". Click "Write"
    12. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC6995LVW". Click "Write"
    Last edited by benj1091; 07-24-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added warning about being stuck on 8.1 if you restore to 8.1
    06-02-2016 01:42 PM
    this doesn't effect the radio?
    06-02-2016 04:17 PM
    Nope. At least not in any way that I've noticed so far.
    06-02-2016 07:01 PM
    this doesn't effect the radio?
    The radio stack has been pushed to the firmware, this trick will only update the OS, not the radio drivers.
    06-02-2016 07:24 PM
    I was able to install the latest redstone build (14356) on my Verizon M8 and its working out suprisingly well for this being an unsupported device. I've posted instructions on how to do this below.

NOTE: THIS PHONE IS NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY THE REDSTONE BUILDS. I HAVE ONLY TESTED THIS USING BUILD 14356 ON THE INSIDER FAST RING. MY PHONE IS RUNNING ON VERIZON WIRELESS, THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK ON TMOBILE/AT&T/OTHER CARRIERS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK/DAMAGE YOUR PHONE OR LOSE YOUR DATA. BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU TRY THIS. IF ANY OF THESE STEPS SEEM TOO COMPLICATED DO NOT CONTINUE!

If you're using a different carrier, your model numbers may be different- write them down somewhere as you will need them after you install the update. To install redstone, we're essentially going to change our phone's model number to a redstone supported model and then change it back after the update has installed. The Lumia 735 seems to work, so I'm going to use that model.

What you'll need:
    • Interop Tools installed on your phone
    • Windows Insider app

Modifying the registry:
    4. Open "SYSTEM"
    5. Open "Platform"
    8. In the "Value Data" field, enter "NOKIA" (all caps). Click "Write"
    10. In the "Value Data" field, enter "RM-1089_1087". Click "Write"
    12. In the "Value Data" field, enter "Lumia 735". Click "Write"

Once you have modified the registry, open the Windows Insider app and join the fast ring. Reboot your device when prompted. After the reboot, check for updates and you should start downloading the latest redstone build. Once this has installed (it will take a while- took about 15 minutes on my phone) follow the steps below to restore your previous registry values- this seemed to fix some minor issues I noticed when using the phone after the update.

4. Open "SYSTEM"
    5. Open "Platform"
    8. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC" (all caps). Click "Write"
    10. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC6995LVW". Click "Write"
    12. In the "Value Data" field, enter "HTC6995LVW". Click "Write"
    I wonder if it would work on slow ring....14342.1004 seems pretty stable, 14356 not so much, for me on a 950. I have an M8 i would consider trying it out.

More questions.
    You have a Verizon branded phone? I have an AT&T, is it true to assume that the second set of post update registry edits are using the values a Verizon HTC One M8 would use? When you make the first set of registry edits are the originals there to copy to use for the post update edits? I would hate to brick the phone by putting Verizon info into an AT&T device....

I would expect the model numbers are different for a Verizon vs. AT&T phone.

Anyone?
    06-05-2016 12:01 PM
    When I click "Platform" it just goes back to my "Extras" screen. Any thoughts?
    06-08-2016 09:00 AM
    Anybody that has done this, any updates? I went back to 8.1 and got bored so I want to come back to 10.

Sent from my Surface 3
    06-11-2016 01:52 PM
    When I click "Platform" it just goes back to my "Extras" screen. Any thoughts?
    Yeah same here. Interop tools keeps crashing when I go to platform. Help?
    06-11-2016 07:12 PM
    Sorry for the late response, I've been busy with work and such. I didn't have any problem with being thrown back to the Extras page- I recently had to restore mine to 8.1 and back up to 10, so I'll try this again soon and let you know. I can tell you that at least on the Verizon model- do not hard reset after performing this upgrade- you will lose your data and MMS APN.

As for different carriers, I would imagine that the model number/name is going to be different from what I posted. Since I don't have access to these devices, you may need to change the numbers in my instructions. Write down whatever is in your registry and save it.
    Mark F24 likes this.
    06-12-2016 04:35 PM
    What is interop tools and where can I find it? Not in store nor is it on my phone (settings / extras).

Sent from my Surface 3
    06-15-2016 08:27 PM
    What is interop tools and where can I find it? Not in store nor is it on my phone (settings / extras).

Sent from my Surface 3
    Interop Tools for Windows 10 Mobile lets you edit your registry for some hacking fun | Windows Central

There's a link in this article. Going to give this a try... After finishing my coffee. *fingers crossed*

Welp, that didn't work.
    Last edited by Narathan; 06-16-2016 at 03:51 AM.
    06-16-2016 03:09 AM
    Try using the latest version from XDA (Interop Tools Appx for Windows 10 Mobile - r… | Windows 10 Development and Hacking the new version did not show up in Settings->Extras for me, it shows as an app now.
    06-16-2016 03:16 PM
    Anybody else try this? Thoughts? Stability? Issues?

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10
    Matthew Crawford likes this.
    06-21-2016 02:29 PM
    I wonder if it would work on slow ring....14342.1004 seems pretty stable, 14356 not so much, for me on a 950. I have an M8 i would consider trying it out.

More questions.
    You have a Verizon branded phone? I have an AT&T, is it true to assume that the second set of post update registry edits are using the values a Verizon HTC One M8 would use? When you make the first set of registry edits are the originals there to copy to use for the post update edits? I would hate to brick the phone by putting Verizon info into an AT&T device....

I would expect the model numbers are different for a Verizon vs. AT&T phone.

Anyone?
    Why not just go into Registry Browser and note your current values.... I'm on T-Mobile, so my name is HTC but the other 2 values are actually "0P6B140". You should just check to see what yours are and change it back to that after the update. I'm going to try this later on.
    06-22-2016 11:45 AM
    I just wanted to follow up on this thread since it was an eye opener for me.

I followed the instructions above and noted my own device settings in the reg edit pretty easily. After doing this, I was able to update my HTC one M8 to the new fast ring release. After it installed and rebooted, I then put my settings back to their original values. Thanks OP.
    06-23-2016 08:31 AM
    RM-1089 variant is not the Lumia 735. Anyone have success using another variant code?

Update: I edited the registry to read NOKIA as the Manufacturer and RM-1104 which is the global version of the 950, as the Model Name. Currently rebooting to install the update to 10.0.14372.0.

I had tested this formula on my Samsung ATIV SE with no issues prior...

Update 2: So far I am impressed. Installed Redstone build 10.0.14372.0 on my AT&T M8. It was a quick install compared to upgrading from 8.1 to 10 release 1. All the apps updated just fine. I edited the registry back to the original manufacturer/model name. Battery drain does not seem to be as much of a problem with this build on my M8, I was at about 67% and it recorded 1day 8hrs remaining from there, but I will check it again in a couple of days. I also have visual voicemail working flawlessly :)
    The noted issue thus far is the front facing camera (if used) will crash the OS where it is at and cause it to reboot, but for now I can deal without the front facing camera.
    Last edited by Nate W; 06-27-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Updated
    06-24-2016 11:57 AM
    So battery life seems a bit worse, and stability isn't acceptable for a daily driver. On the other hand, the start screen seems much more responsive.

06-29-2016 12:52 PM
    So battery life seems a bit worse, and stability isn't acceptable for a daily driver. On the other hand, the start screen seems much more responsive.

I did a factory reset on mine after the 10.0.14376.0 update since I had no working camera. That fixed this issue with my camera, and also response time and fluidity navigating the windows/options/apps is better. Did you try a factory reset? Battery is slightly declined from Windows 8.1 but not a deal killer for me at this point.
    06-29-2016 01:51 PM
    Now if someone could somehow get the IR port to work I would upgrade.
    06-30-2016 12:04 PM
    Installing 14372 as I type...

Think I'll try a reset after this one, just to see if it improves things.
    07-03-2016 02:04 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm on T-Mobile (US) with an HTC One (M8). I've successfully used this process to run all the fast ring updates on my daily driver. I don't suggest you do it, but I have had minimal problems. Hiccups here and there, but nothing too serious. This works, from installing interop tools, to writing the registry, and even a hard reset with backup restore after the updates.

Currently i'm installing 14385...

I've never lost my APN, however I took note of it beforehand just in case. Your results may vary, but seems to go just fine for me.
    For T-Mobile HTC One (M8):
    PhoneManufacturer: HTC
    PhoneManufacturerModelName: 0P6B140
    PhoneModelName: 0P6B140

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    Password: Password
    Type of sign-in info: None
    IP type: IPv4
    starpageup likes this.
    07-11-2016 10:25 AM
    Thanks Daniel M., I'm actually with T-Mobile and was curious to know how the HTC One M8 would work with this method of updating to Redstone and the settings to input as well to maintain coverage....now that I hear that it's doable, can't wait until my HTC One arrives!!! XD
    07-11-2016 11:06 PM
    Thank you! It was as simple as installing the InterOp app, changing three registry fields (I used the global 930 code), downloading and installing the update, and restoring the three fields. I'm on AT&T and didn't need to change APN settings or anything.

Now on build 14388, and liking Redstone so far. It has solved a few of the significant problems I had on TH fast ring builds.
    07-13-2016 12:16 PM
    SO what I'm not getting is this--in order to sideload Interop Tools, I need to put the device in developer mode--but the only things I see explaining this are in Win10 settings...I find no such setting on the AT&T M8. Anyone?
    07-15-2016 11:32 AM
    Originally posted by M Segotta
    SO what I'm not getting is this--in order to sideload Interop Tools, I need to put the device in developer mode--but the only things I see explaining this are in Win10 settings...I find no such setting on the AT&T M8. Anyone?
    Settings--->Update & Security--->For developers you'll find the setting in there.

Not sure if anyone else had an issue tapping to install, but I did . To solve I downloaded the Windows 10 SDK from Microsoft.

Connected my phone with developer mode enabled and ran the below and it installed.
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86>WinAppDeployCmd.exe install -file "C:\Users\nate0\Documents\SM-W750V\InteropTools Releases\InteropToolsApp_beta_1.7_0.0.157.0_arm.appxbundle" -ip 127.0.0.1
    07-15-2016 12:46 PM
412 123 ...