My M8 Drowned. Now What?

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I meant for my HTC One M8 to have a beautiful day on the beach while my family and I had a beautiful day splashing around in the river, but at some point my M8 joined me in my pocket. I'm going to wait a few more days before attempting to switch it on, but I'm 99.9% sure it's a goner. I had a spare Lumia 640 that I was letting my boys use on the rare occasions (restaurants) that we let them play games, so it's now my backup phone.

I had planned on my M8 taking me all the way to "Surface Phone" or whatever it will be, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it to there on a 640! So what would YOU invest in to get you through another year without breaking the bank?

I'm leaning instinctively toward the 950 and 950XL, hoping that their unpopularity means I'll be able to find a deal...? (Maybe a BOGO - my wife has been using another 640 for a few months and isn't happy, since she stepped into it from a 1020 that she loved.) Should I look for another used HTC One M8 or is there another budget Lumia I should be considering? There are a lot of niche WPs out there too that I don't know much about.

The only Lumia I've looked at is the 650 because it's on sale for $50. From what I can tell, the 650 is prettier than the 640, but otherwise not much of an upgrade. Am I missing something?

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I meant for my HTC One M8 to have a beautiful day on the beach while my family and I had a beautiful day splashing around in the river, but at some point my M8 joined me in my pocket. I'm going to wait a few more days before attempting to switch it on, but I'm 99.9% sure it's a goner. I had a spare Lumia 640 that I was letting my boys use on the rare occasions (restaurants) that we let them play games, so it's now my backup phone.

I had planned on my M8 taking me all the way to "Surface Phone" or whatever it will be, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it to there on a 640! So what would YOU invest in to get you through another year without breaking the bank?

I'm leaning instinctively toward the 950 and 950XL, hoping that their unpopularity means I'll be able to find a deal...? (Maybe a BOGO - my wife has been using another 640 for a few months and isn't happy, since she stepped into it from a 1020 that she loved.) Should I look for another used HTC One M8 or is there another budget Lumia I should be considering? There are a lot of niche WPs out there too that I don't know much about.

The only Lumia I've looked at is the 650 because it's on sale for $50. From what I can tell, the 650 is prettier than the 640, but otherwise not much of an upgrade. Am I missing something?
Sounds like price is no object - get the 950XL - you'll love it. Let that be your daily driver till Surface Phone 2 comes out. It'll be soooo much better than Surface Phone 1. :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 14393.5]

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Im on one of those niche WP's you mention Teddy. I have an Ativ SE, which is specced out similarly to your M8. And it serves me really well, even though it doesnt come with its quirks - namely putting in effort to get to and stay on WM10. But if you only need tide over devices, then you could go with any of these last gen flagship devices, from the Icon, M8, 930, 1520 to the Ativ SE. And you'll be in a similar place, sans the quirks of each device, all upgrades over your very excellent 640 ofcourse. In order of cheapness, thatss going to be the ATIV SE, M8, Icon, 930, and the 1520. With the last being the most expensive.

Now, however, if you think you're going to be on the fence about the Surface Phone when it comes out, and would rather make a more permanent 'temporary' investment now. Then by all means go for the 950 and the 950XL, they're our best flagship grade bang for buck devices out there. And they sure as hell pack all the innards. :) ^_^ But dont expect the level of design or attention to detail you'll find in your M8, or 1520, 930/Icon.

-- W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss