03-22-2012 12:57 PM
50 12
tools
    I bought a Radar on eBay (new) for a good price; haven't received it yet. I've read a lot about Mango, all positive, and played with a Radar owned by a friend. I don't know how I'll like it, and I'm certainly not dumping my BlackBerry 9900 anytime soon, but I felt like I wanted to try it out. I have the sense that the OS is on the right track, emulating what's good in iOS and adding its own interpretation. I insist on good battery life, and that's why the Radar was the one I finally chose.
    02-06-2012 07:53 AM

I'm sure you'll really enjoy your Radar when it arrives, hope you don't have to wait too long for its arrival, then you can maybe share with us what you think about it.

Welcome along to WPCentral ubizm0 :)
    02-06-2012 07:58 AM
    Called an asked for the cancellation department

They knew I already planned to switch since I had gotten the HTC Titan and my number was on file to be transferred so they offered me this deal and sent the htc radar for me to try out which I ended up keeping.
    Ah ha, I see. Thanks for the response. And do they throttle you at 2GB or 5GB? Are you on a contract or monthly?
    02-06-2012 10:15 AM
    Well, to start off, I owned a myTouch 3G for a long time and I was due for an upgrade. I never thought I would switch from an android device as I had already unlocked my android device and enjoyed the plethora of functionality on the OS. It always bugged me how clunky the OS was and I just assumed a newer android device with better specs would create a more smooth experience. Needless to say, I saw a buddy from work with the radar and I tested it out and was blown away. The OS was smooth and the UI just looked so modern that I was sold from the get go. He told me he got it for a great price and by the end of the week I had my very own radar. I think if more people knew of the windows 7 OS they would be switching from Android a lot sooner. I'm excited to see what windows brings to the table with the next update and I'm considering unlocking this windows phone once I get around to it.
    02-06-2012 12:25 PM

We all just take the buttery smoothness for granted now, it just never stops.

Glad you're enjoying your new Windows Phone and you have a lot to look forward to with future updates I'm sure.

And welcome along to WPCentral butcherz. :)
    02-06-2012 12:28 PM
    Click to view quoted image

I'm sure you'll really enjoy your Radar when it arrives, hope you don't have to wait too long for its arrival, then you can maybe share with us what you think about it.

Welcome along to WPCentral ubizm0 :)
    It came today. So far, so good. There are at least three stages to owning a new smartphone, I've noticed. In phase One, everything seems new and fresh and interesting. Phase Two starts when you trip over the things that your previous device did more easily, or efficiently, or whatever. That's when you get frustrated and start mumbling things like "I can't believe it's this hard to do X". Phase Three starts when you actually know your way around the device, and learn to separate your habits from the objective characteristics of the phone.

So, I'm in Phase One. Everything is new and intriguing.

I like what I see so far. Setting up various accounts, and establishing a consolidated email inbox was refreshingly easy. I'm just now learning my way around Zune. The main apps I need are available, with the exception of Audible. I gather I'm not the only one waiting for that one.

I do miss auto-text...aha it's Phase Two! But the predictive text isn't bad.
    TheWeeBear likes this.
    02-06-2012 07:38 PM
    That's a good methodology ubizm0, phases, I like that. Hope the next phase is to your liking, I'm sure it will be.
    iamtheWP7minority likes this.
    02-07-2012 02:43 AM
    I'm typing on the device now. It's going to take some getting used to but not too bad. The predictive text is decent.

I'm pleased with the ease with which bloatware can be removed,compared to the BlackBerry or anything else I've tried. The missing Audible app is almost a deal breaker but from what I've read it's in the pipeline.

I'm still trying to figure out whether it's better to type with one finger or try to get the hang of two thumbs.

I was hoping for a decent AIM Gtalk app, but so far I've only tried Qiss Chat, which isn't the best.

I had a little trouble with podcasts, which are another important thing for me, but that seems okay now.

Is there a way to set the default font size in the browser (or elsewhere)? It's a little ironic to have a bigger screen than the BlackBerry but have to squint more.
    02-07-2012 07:57 AM
    Some Phase Two moments....

The absence of Audible is a real problem. I was using it daily and there's simply no substitute. Ironically, Audible hasn't created an app for the BB 9900 yet either, but the 9700 version works, although the onscreen font is tiny, so I'm using it for now.

On the subject of fine print, the absence of text reflow in Mango may well be a deal-breaker. I didn't expect this. At 58, I don't want to have to squint to see things in the browser, but that's what I'm doing. The irony here is that one of the attractions of the Radar is the larger screen, but the BB 9900 screen is actually wider, and it lets me choose a large default browser font, reflowing web text to fill the screen in that size. The end result is generally very readable without constant scrolling.

WP needs to get this. Maybe the Tango update?

To me, there are two places where the "rubber meets the road" in a smartphone. One is the keyboard. Obviously, hardware keyboards are a whole other matter, but touch keyboards can vary too. I think the Radar has a good keyboard, but it would be desirable to have a few other options, such as Swype, or something similar.

I noticed that if I type in a word and then hit <space> twice, it inserts a period and a space, as BB does. This is good. But if I use predictive text, it doesn't work. A space after the word appears, and hitting <space> again doesn't produce a period. Not so good. These little details count.
    02-07-2012 09:14 PM
    I'm typing on the device now. It's going to take some getting used to but not too bad. The predictive text is decent.

I'm pleased with the ease with which bloatware can be removed,compared to the BlackBerry or anything else I've tried. The missing Audible app is almost a deal breaker but from what I've read it's in the pipeline.

I'm still trying to figure out whether it's better to type with one finger or try to get the hang of two thumbs.

I was hoping for a decent AIM Gtalk app, but so far I've only tried Qiss Chat, which isn't the best.

I had a little trouble with podcasts, which are another important thing for me, but that seems okay now.

Is there a way to set the default font size in the browser (or elsewhere)? It's a little ironic to have a bigger screen than the BlackBerry but have to squint more.
    Have you looked into IM+ for Google Talk? There's a free and pro version.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...c-78e7d1fa76f8
    02-07-2012 10:09 PM
    Have you looked into IM+ for Google Talk? There's a free and pro version.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...c-78e7d1fa76f8
    Yes, thanks, I finally found that and installed it. It works better than the Qiss program. It's at least as good as BeeJive on my BB; maybe better.

My two remaining major issues are: Audible, and text size/reflow. In my last message, I didn't get to the other core issue where "the rubber meets the road", and that is the interaction with the eyes. We interact with these things with eyes, fingers, and ears. As far as ears go, the speaker is a bit soft, but adequate. I've already commented on fingers. Concerning eyes...the display is generally clean and attractive, but the inability to set the text size in the browser, and the lack of auto-wrap/reflow are serious shortcomings. Having to zoom and scroll on most text-heavy web sites really is a deal-breaker.

But I understand that some sort of OS upgrade is due, and we can hope that it addresses this issue.

As for Audible, it's supposedly coming in March. I'm a little skeptical, since it's an Amazon company, and Amazon has been known to promise and not deliver.
    02-08-2012 07:12 AM
    Actually my wife bought the radar 4G but she didn't like it and I did so I gave her my Samsung Galaxy S 4G for the Radar... Love it! Android can suck it for now.
    02-15-2012 10:29 AM
    Actually my wife bought the radar 4G but she didn't like it and I did so I gave her my Samsung Galaxy S 4G for the Radar... Love it! Android can suck it for now.
    What did she not like about it? Hard to believe someone couldn't like this phone. I've had iPhones and Android phones, and I absolutely love my Radar 4G. iPhone was good, but I got tired of forking over a load of cash to big blue every month, and the Nexus S and LG G2x I had both sucked like a $5 Saigon hooker.
    02-15-2012 09:15 PM
    Good battery life, great build quality, and doesn't use micro sim. I wish the screen had slightly better viewing angles, but I'm very satisfied.
    02-17-2012 04:02 PM
    The speakers could be a little louder. Compared to my BB, listening to podcasts in the car on the Radar is less enjoyable.
    02-17-2012 04:55 PM
    I wanted to switch to WP7 for a while (had a Sony Ericsson Vivaz - nice little phone but Symbian on a non-Nokia device, without OVI access, was not an optimal situation). So, when the old contract started to run out I was drooling over the Lumia 800 while waiting for it to be released. Then the test started showing up, along with reports about bad audio quality that even the Nokia fanboys seemed unable to defend...

So, since music is important to me I decided to go for something cheaper with a shorter contract while waiting for the Apollo generation, and since the Lumia 710 still had to show up at that point was down to the Radar and the Omnia W. Reviews seemed to give the Radar slightly better remarks on audio quality, and I've always liked the build quality of HTC phones I've handled so I went with that since I couldn't find a store in town where I could fondle the phones before buying.

Overall I'm happy with the choice. The audio quality turned out to be more than decent, for one, and the build is solid. The camera is the only thing that really disappointed me. It's good enough for Facebook and such, but not much more.
    02-26-2012 08:02 PM
    Some Phase Two moments....

The absence of Audible is a real problem. I was using it daily and there's simply no substitute. Ironically, Audible hasn't created an app for the BB 9900 yet either, but the 9700 version works, although the onscreen font is tiny, so I'm using it for now.

On the subject of fine print, the absence of text reflow in Mango may well be a deal-breaker. I didn't expect this. At 58, I don't want to have to squint to see things in the browser, but that's what I'm doing. The irony here is that one of the attractions of the Radar is the larger screen, but the BB 9900 screen is actually wider, and it lets me choose a large default browser font, reflowing web text to fill the screen in that size. The end result is generally very readable without constant scrolling.

WP needs to get this. Maybe the Tango update?

To me, there are two places where the "rubber meets the road" in a smartphone. One is the keyboard. Obviously, hardware keyboards are a whole other matter, but touch keyboards can vary too. I think the Radar has a good keyboard, but it would be desirable to have a few other options, such as Swype, or something similar.

I noticed that if I type in a word and then hit <space> twice, it inserts a period and a space, as BB does. This is good. But if I use predictive text, it doesn't work. A space after the word appears, and hitting <space> again doesn't produce a period. Not so good. These little details count.
    You can eliminate the automatic spacing after a corrected word. Settings>keyboard>typing settings>English tap to change
    02-26-2012 08:38 PM
    You can eliminate the automatic spacing after a corrected word. Settings>keyboard>typing settings>English tap to change
    I have no problem with the automatic spacing after a corrected word. What I'd like to see is a period/full stop added if I enter another space after such a word, just as it does with a regular non-corrected word. I shouldn't have to enter a period manually for corrected words.
    02-26-2012 08:54 PM
    I'm totally THAT guy, a phone swapper based on my mood. I currently have iPhone 4, Nexus S, GSM Galaxy Nexus, Pre 2, and I'm taking a Galaxy Note on a test-drive. I like iOS, Android (though it's buggiest of ALL), webOS, and WP7- they all have their merits. Wish I could grab the best features/hardware of all and craft my own device. :-)

I had previously picked up a used Focus last year and liked it. Multitasking was of course missing as was copy/paste as we all know, help has arrived in that department. Thankfully I had a squaretrade warranty on the Focus because the sim-slot went kaput and they just paid me the purchase price for the phone.

I picked up the Radar for a few reasons initially:

-Size
    -Colour
    -HTC build materials/quality
    -T-Mo USA HSPA+ Frequencies

I ended up liking it more once I started using the Radar.

The camera button=win. I would constantly bump in on the Focus and it would drive me crazy launching the camera at the tiniest touch of that button.

Build quality really is nice overall. The bottom sim cover is a bit hoky, and non-removable battery part is a bit of a downer, but battery life is a WIN.

Multitasking is getting there but there are just several iOS/Android Apps I miss (It's cheesy but words with friends comes to mind).

So here is the BIGGEST DOWNER I just did to myself today with Radar...
    TMO just gave me the unlock code, sweet right? I threw evil at&t sim in, phone came up, HSPA+ frequencies etc. Tethering BLOCKED. No biggie, I know at&t are jerks about it, I hadn't planned to tether anyway, but wanted to know if it would work. When I put my TMO sim back in I still get the big at&t F-U "To enable tethering on this device go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611". :mad: WT_??? It's very rare that I use the wifi tethering, but every now and then it's nice to have. I think I'm about 3 weeks into my month and I've only used 410MB of data. I cannot believe that at&t screwed me out of tethering on another carrier just by putting their sim in my newly unlocked Radar. I wonder if doing a reset of the phone will work. It'll nuke my settings and stuff, but maybe it'll fix the big at&t c_ _ _-block.

Rant complete (mostly). Let's get some more WP7 apps and life should be better still!

Smile y'all,

dennis

UPDATE: Phone reset from settings menu fixed the at&t tethering f-u! W00T!
    Last edited by denSMSgt; 02-29-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: UPDATE on TETHERING!
    02-29-2012 12:13 PM

It'll nuke my settings and stuff, but maybe it'll fix the big at&t c_ _ _-block.

Rant complete (mostly). Let's get some more WP7 apps and life should be better still!

Smile y'all,

dennis
    Spoken like a true SMSgt! I used to be an A1C and I *ran* when I saw your chevrons coming around the corner (just as I know you did when you were an A1C). LOL! Thanks for serving.
    denSMSgt likes this.
    02-29-2012 12:33 PM
    Spoken like a true SMSgt! I used to be an A1C and I *ran* when I saw your chevrons coming around the corner (just as I know you did when you were an A1C). LOL! Thanks for serving.
    Thanks Rob, and likewise, even if for not super-long, for your service too. I'm just a big kid/teddy-bear, so not your typical stomp guts out Senior. You know you've messed up bad if I turn into that guy! :-)

One thing I forgot to mention on the PRO side of the house is PRICE. This really is a great little phone for the price.

I just love gadgets and tech. The more quality competition the better! It's funny in the PC realm I prefer OS X but at least Win 7 is what vista (hurl) should have been! On the mobile side of the house though, Apple was (IMO) the first quality OS/user experience but all have really finally improved. The only one of the big players I still can't stand is blackberry.

Here's to better competition forcing quality!

Smile,

d
    speedtouch likes this.
    02-29-2012 02:18 PM
    Just joined the family last night. :D

I chose it because I'm on T-Mobile and previously had an iPhone 3GS with it (stuck with Edge) and really wanted to try out the WP family. I first considered importing the Lumia 800, but I wanted to utilize HSPA+ and it of course lacks the AWS band.

So it was between the Lumia 710 and the Radar, and I felt the thinness + the capacitive buttons won me over. I'd love to get a Lumia in the future, hopefully when Apollo hits and their's support for T-Mobile. :)
    HeyCori likes this.
    03-01-2012 11:58 AM
    I wanted to get one, but my town is too small for tmobile.

Sent from my Titan using Board Express
    03-01-2012 12:33 PM
    I dropped my DVP in the garage getting out of the car and the screen exploded, oops.
    03-21-2012 11:43 PM
    For me it there was a few points.
    -Wanted a phone that was a little more stylish than my Android (NS4G)
    -Once I upgraded to ICS on my Nexus it got boring
    -Lagged like crazy, really annoying
    -Battery life sucks on Android
    -Wanted to try a WP
    -Physical Camera button
    -Tmo had just released their prepaid $30 plan
    -Paid only 170 for it on CL

Although, the one thing I miss is the NFC chip. Otherwise I'm okay
    03-22-2012 12:57 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD