Copying documents to my phone? Please Help!

obagamogo

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to Windows Phone so bear with me! I am a mac user, I had an android phone for the past 2 years and its worked fine, although I never really liked the design of android. So I took the plunge and got a HTC Radar.

I always keep all my recipes on my phone. So I wanted to just drag my recipes folder over to my phone but I dont see how its possible? I downloaded windows phone 7 connector for my mac but it seems restricted.

Am I missing something here or is it really not possible to just copy documents from my computer to my phone?

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Not possible to do it the simple way. You'll have to upload the files to the SkyDrive storage on your Live account so that you can access them through the Office hub on the phone. Getting the SkyDrive client makes it about as easy as with an application that syncs directly to the phone, even though it still feels unnecessary to have to put it on the net first.

obagamogo

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow thats crazy, I cant believe i dint know that before I bought the phone...major oversight...this thing might be finding a new home on craigslist...just when you give microsoft a chance again they **** you over! There was me thinking this is the dawn of a new day...bloody ****...

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
WP7 dosen't have the concept of files and folders..
And you can't use it as mass strorage device.
I got pritty angry at this too at first but then you kinda stop missing it..
I my self get remebered of this missing functionality almoust every day from my android friends :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

obagamogo

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. So I uploaded a folder of documents to Skydrive. I have the Skydrive app on my phone. I managed to open them with office on my phone. The only thing now is that I want them to sync to my phones HD so I don't need to use an internet connection to view them. It seems as though if I open a doc it has to download it. Can I set it up so that it automatically downloads all my files from Skydrive to the phone in one go?

Seems to me that not having folders and access to the HD is a bit of a problem. Esp for people who are inclined to like control over their phone. There are shades of Apple to this that I don't like...Its jus that Android is such mediocre in its design I just cant take it anymore!

Quick unrelated question, if I get a pop up notification at the top of my screen telling me there are open wifi signals available how to i get rid of it....i keep tapping it and being brought to wifi settings...I like the notification, i just dont want to have to go to wifi settings every time I want to make it dissapear...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Quick unrelated question, if I get a pop up notification at the top of my screen telling me there are open wifi signals available how to i get rid of it....i keep tapping it and being brought to wifi settings...I like the notification, i just dont want to have to go to wifi settings every time I want to make it dissapear...

To completely turn it off:

Settings > Wi-Fi > Uncheck the box "Notify me when new networks are found"

To just get rid of the toast notification:

Tap and hold on notification then slide it off to the right.

obagamogo

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much.

So I used live mesh and its synced my recipes folder to the hotmail account I had to open in order to use the phone. But now it wont sync the bloody thing to my phone. Its just synched it between my computer and hotmail?

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much.

So I used live mesh and its synced my recipes folder to the hotmail account I had to open in order to use the phone. But now it wont sync the bloody thing to my phone. Its just synched it between my computer and hotmail?

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong...

On your phone you have to go to http://devices.live.com/

Login, and then you can either select the computer(s) that are associated with the account or Skydrive Synced Storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett