Surround owvers, picked one up on eBay, how do you like it?

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Figured, why not? Want a new toy to give me an idea if I'd like HTC enough to check out the Titan or wait for the Nokia offerings. Didn't want to be tied into a contract, wanted a smaller screen, so what the heck.

Worst case scenario, I sell it or at least have a good back up phone just in case I ever need one.

Anyone have one? How do you like it?

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
i've had a surround for arround 8 months now and love it, I use it primarily for music with my zune pass and the sound is fantastic witht he sound enhancer app from HTC i can choose an EQ setting that is great for what i'm listening to. This is basically what HP beats is just with a red color to make it branded and stylish ha.

The speakers are useful with the kick stand to show buddies videos and also when on the go and really wanna hear a tune on the train or having a drink and just need to hear that tune, but they aren't the all inspiring they were meant to be. Louder and crisper than any other phone, but still a phone and has limits depending on the setting mostly. I personally enjoy sliding the speaker in and out while i walk places don't know why it just feels cool I guess.

Screen size is fine, i haven't had any problems with it at all and I type with two thumbs like a champ. The device is heavy and blocky compared to other phones, but HTC build quality makes it easy to hold in hand, but its a noticeable difference. I love the look of the HTC phones and the camera button is so distinguished I rarely miss a shot. It hasn't been till after about 7 months into using the phone that I have decided that a switch for myself to a smaller phone or thinner might be more beneficial.

I can't decide between using the original focus which i stopped using due to the stupid microsd slot kept resetting the device, or upgrading to the titan next weekend for black saturday.

Hope that helps, if you got any specific questions let me know.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I listen to a ton of podcasts so this sounds perfect. I'm trying to decide on the titan too, it just looks awesome based on some nboxong videos I've seen.

That's good to know about Surround, sounds solid. Is there a Microsd slot?

Was it easy to update to mango?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have had my Surround since launch day last year. It initially had some problems with alarms and a quirk when you plugged headphones into it. But the issues went away after my first hard reset, five months after I got the phone.

Sound is great and the phone has a solid build. Battery at 1230mAh, but I have gotten used to that. It is possible to replace the 16GB MSD with a 32GB but you have to disassemble the phone. There are videos on YouTube and threads in XDA.

Not in any hurry to replace this phone although the Titan looks interesting. Think I will wait to see what Nokia brings un Q1. For me it's got to be Nokia or HTC. Two brands with good reputations and solid devices.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and no issues with upgrading to Mango. I was running the Mango beta when I updated, and decided to do a hard reset before the update to have a clean install. If you have not loaded anything on the phone yet. I would suggest a hard reset prior to updating, just to be sure you don't have any of my early issues.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Got the surround today. Need to Mango it, then put some things on it. I definitely like the Focus screen better but I like the heft if the Surround. Thinking of keeping that as my music/podcast player for a while, and see how I like it.

Seems like a cool device though without having the chance to play with it yet.

Mangos taste better than apples!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans