Judging by the Verge's review...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You'd think that Marketplace apps growing hand-over-foot was a bad thing.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2937713/htc-titan-ii-review

I like how one commenter put it:

simbadogg's:

It’s not about giving msft a free pass. There are some bad apps in the marketplace, just like in android, but there are also some incredibly good and well designed ones. And to be honest, some of the best designed apps on WP are better than some of the best counterparts that are on Android.

The thing that made absolutely no sense, and made me want to cough ##bull****## was this simple fact: from the time of the Lumia 800 review (~5 months) to the 900 review, you mean to tell me the ecosystem went DOWN? There are MORE apps, many of the apps that have been in marketplace are getting updated to mango (some of the laggards), and also being refined and having more functionality added to them.

So in essence you mean to tell me, more apps were updated, features added, more big name developers jumped in, and around 40-50 THOUSAND more apps were added to the marketplace, and you’re opinion is to say ‘’though everything improved, the whole is in fact worse’‘? Like honestly, Joshua, the reasoning for this doesn’t add up which is why so many people gave you grief, and you shouldn’t blame them. Would anyone expect (after 5 months) developers to create new APIs to add new functionality that isn’t available?

I know you don’t like anyone calling you biased (or bias), but when you say stuff like this, it smells funny. And to be honest, I know you say it’s your job, but there are a lot of gripes that you say you have (like on the podcast, not being able to copy text from emails…what?) that make me question how objectively you look at the devices you have when you review.

So yes there are some bad apps, there is no denying that. Some of those bad apps have issues, again no denying that. But to expect some type of explosion in the marketplace after 5 months, when they’re on a yearly development cycle (something Joshua also didn’t seem too sure about) is a bit naive.

At 80,000 apps and growing I think we've reached the point where you can finally call WP a respectable smartphone. It might not have every single app to satisfy all the power users, but there are more than enough for owners to find something they enjoy.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What I find stupid is how now EVERYONE at the Verge is on the same page.

It's like every single person in that office has/does agree with Josh.

poxme

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't visit the verge's site anymore, their review is so inconsistent. Plus their site may look good but its so heavy that my netbook lags, bad meat content, GSMarena is way better...

Sent from my Radar C110e using Board Express

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I just want to say I wasn't surprised considering it came from Topolsky. He just has to bow down to Apple, that's the way it's always been.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I know you don’t like anyone calling you biased (or bias), but when you say stuff like this, it smells funny. And to be honest, I know you say it’s your job, but there are a lot of gripes that you say you have (like on the podcast, not being able to copy text from emails…what?) that make me question how objectively you look at the devices you have when you review.

THIS! THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS AND GOTDARNIT THIS!!! OH...MY...GAWD the commentor hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD

These reviewers NO LONGER take the time to familiarize themselves with the product and just throw out half ***'d reviews from previous use on an earlier one. I mean really? You don't know that you can copy and paste from your email? AND NOBODY ON YOUR TEAM BOTHERED TO CORRECT YOU?! Maybe if you (the mobile tech community as a whole) would quit flipping the phone over back and forth for 7 minutes, typing a quick brown fox spinned message, and doing data speed and web browsing tests you'd actually know how the system WORKS.

I think I'll stick to Tech sites that focus on one OS versus a lot of different other things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs