Titan II first impressions.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just received my TII in the mail today, so I figured I'd let you all know what my thoughts are so far. I'm coming from a Focus S, btw. I will also rate on a scale of: poor, decent, good, very good, superb.

Call quality - very good. I do wish the in-call volume was a little louder though. Not that on level 10 it's not plenty loud enough, but I kind of like for 10 to be TOO loud, just so I always have extra volume if I need it. No big deal at all though.

Build quality - very good. Coming from my plastic Focus and Focus S, this is a dream. No, it isn't as thin as the S, but IMO the S is too thin. It feels very good in the hand and you can tell it's high quality. However, one glaring problem I have noticed - if you look in the crack of the bottom of the screen and the tiny lip of the device, you can see the reflection of the glow of the capactive buttons inside the phone. It doesn't look bad, and you have to try to see it, but it does add a little "cheapness" to it.

Screen - decent. I'm sorry, but coming from an AMOLED, this is rough at first. The colors are very bright and rich, but man do I miss those deep blacks. The Super LCD also scrolls different than the AMOLED. No, I don't mean that it responds differently, but just the looks of the scrolling seem, idk what the word is lol. You just have to see it. However, I do prefer the whites on the SLCD vs. the AMOLED. Not sure why. But, I do get kind of sad when I glance over at my girlfriend's ClearBlack AMOLED.

Camera - superb. This camera is sick. No other way to describe it. Mind you I've not taken any very low light shots or given the video recorder a good try, but trust me, this camera will not dissapoint. One thing I am a little concerned about is the hardware camera button. I don't know how to describe it, but on the Focus and Focus S, you halfway press down for focus, and all the way down for snapping. On the TII (at least mine), it's hard to tell when you get to that halfway mark because the pressing down of the camera button is not a smooth experience. It feels as if it's grinding against something; only way I really know how to put it. Combine this with the fact that the TII focuses itself (which is a good feature actually), it becomes very confusing when you are at that halfway mark. Again, no big deal, and I like tapping the screen to focus anyway.

Performance - superb. I have not noticed any real hangs/lag/etc. I compared opening apps/web pages TII v. Focus S and the TII won in 7/8 of them. Everything seems like a much more smooth and consistent experience v. Focus S.

Extras - very good. HTC added some nice things to this phone, especially to the camera. It zooms smoother, has 5x more options than any other WP, and has multiple modes (burst and panorama). They've also added cool things like an option where, when you're on a call, without doing anything other than lying your phone face down on a surface, the speaker phone activates. There's a little orange LED light that, so far, I've noticed flashes when battery is critical, when it's charging, and when someone is calling (not sure about this one, I can't remember exactly). There's options for sound and video enhancements as well. Also, I really like the vibrate on this phone, not sure why.

Overall, it's been a very good experience. As of right now I'm a little concerned because my camera flash refuses to work, even though it does during videos and with the flashlight app, but I've read that it does that when the battery gets low, which it is now. If this is the case, that's a very annoying feature to consider as well, as there is no option that I've found to disable this.

I'll report back in a couple days to give you guys a more thorough and credible opinion.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
My HD7 does the speakerphone when facedown thing too. It's an HTC exclusive app called attentive phone. As far as the flash goes, just charge your phone. ;)

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, second day with Titan.

Battery life is awful. The worst I've ever seen on a new WP. In three hours it had gone down 25%, mind you I was in class a lot if that time, so yeah, it's bad.

There's a very annoying glitch where if you're listening to music and you hit the Search button, the music quality and volume drops to an insanely low level. Bad glitch there.

Is anyone else having issues typing? Maybe it's but where it's bigger than my S, but sometimes I feel like certain letters aren't registering. Not sure though.

I'm getting used to the bigger screen, and I tend to forget about my missing of the amoled.

Camera is still amazing. Things are still smooth asbutter.
Will report tomorrow.

Sent from my Titan II using Board Express

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
keep the reviews coming i was thinking about swapping myself for the better camera but if the battery drain is that awful i will stick with the nokia.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, its battery is just unacceptable. I'm not in LTE or HSPA+ either. And about the keyboard thing, I figured out that it really doesn't register some letters. How I did this was repeatedly typing "ha" and looking for it to miss a letter, like so: hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

You can see at the 4th h over that there is no a after it, and that's because they keyboard didn't register it. This only happens when you type very fast, which is how I usually do. So id you type at a normal pace, you probably won't notice it. Oh, and I just checked the battery percentage, and in about 10-15 minutes from being unplugged, it's already at 95%.

campbellc

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Titan II and I don't have any of the battery issues your are describing. My previous phone was the original Focus and every once I awhile I would experience rapid battery drain. I would just completely power down the device and this would resolve the problem. Also, check and see how many background tasks you are running. Is your Bluetooth always connected?

Regarding the keyboard, I had a similar experience with a delay in typing. Basically, I just turned off the keyboard sound (now I don't hear the clicking) and now I don't see the delay. I'm not quite sure if you are describing the same issue that I had but it's worth a try.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
No battery drain issues on my Titan II either.

Edit: phone has been off charger for 3 hours now. Currently the battery is at 98%.

Last edited:

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I've found typing with the focus s insanely easy for accurate, high speed typing. Dunno why. As for battery life, its always searching for a lte signal. No matter what lies att tells you.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
7.5 hours since last charge and I am at 83% battery
Have been connected to 3g/4g and have live tiles updating. Weather, Engadget, USA Today.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, today my battery life has been much better. But with your stats, your screen must be on very little.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, today my battery life has been much better. But with your stats, your screen must be on very little.

I have been at work all day so the screen has not been on that much. I have played about 45 minutes of games and had the screen on for maybe another 45 minutes looking at apps, news and emails.

I will see how it is on the weekend.

jbeal82

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
My Titan II

So I picked up a Titan II on the 2nd and I loved it. I took it home and set everything up the way my Surround was, got all my apps loaded and decided to listen to music. When I went to put the headphones in, I got sound out of only one earbud. I fiddled with it for a few minutes and found that if I pulled the connector out a little bit it would work, but this wasn't cool with me. I turned on the audio enhancement from settings and found that the headphones only registered when they were about half way in.

So I took that phone back and they gave me a new one. I finally have it all set up again and this one is working beautifully. Also, my internet speeds are incredible over both LTE and 4G. With 4G I am pulling 5000-5300 kBps and with LTE 6000-6400 kBps! I mentioned this to the guy at the AT&T store and he tested his Lumia; He was getting around 3600 kBps. He said that he wanted a Titan II after that. I don't know if it is the area I am in or if it is the phone itself but I am VERY happy with the speed of the phone.

Overall I love this device and would strongly recommend it to anyone thinking about getting it. I debated on getting the Lumia 900 but I went for the bigger screen and that freakish 16 mp camera lol.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Day three.

Ok, so battery life has improved substantially. I think yesterday my issue was what I like to call "the new phone 'this battery life sucks'" effect. You know, new phone = playing with it more without realizing it, lol. I'm at 20% after 9 hours of being disconnected. No, I'm not thrilled with that, but after yesterday it's a huge improvement. I've played about an hour of music, a couple games of Wordament, and general usage. Not too good, but eh, whatever.

I'm starting to love the big screen size.

Besides, those two changes, nothing else has really changed from yesterday. No new glitches. Just liking the phone more than yesterday, lol.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up a Titan II on the 2nd and I loved it. I took it home and set everything up the way my Surround was, got all my apps loaded and decided to listen to music. When I went to put the headphones in, I got sound out of only one earbud. I fiddled with it for a few minutes and found that if I pulled the connector out a little bit it would work, but this wasn't cool with me. I turned on the audio enhancement from settings and found that the headphones only registered when they were about half way in.

So I took that phone back and they gave me a new one. I finally have it all set up again and this one is working beautifully. Also, my internet speeds are incredible over both LTE and 4G. With 4G I am pulling 5000-5300 kBps and with LTE 6000-6400 kBps! I mentioned this to the guy at the AT&T store and he tested his Lumia; He was getting around 3600 kBps. He said that he wanted a Titan II after that. I don't know if it is the area I am in or if it is the phone itself but I am VERY happy with the speed of the phone.

Overall I love this device and would strongly recommend it to anyone thinking about getting it. I debated on getting the Lumia 900 but I went for the bigger screen and that freakish 16 mp camera lol.

his data could be throttled nothing to do with the phone dude sounds like a tard everyone knows speeds can vary from just seconds apart doing speed test one min you getting 20mbps up next you getting 6.9mbps up i think homie got throttled and if it was a rep he really doesn't know any better anyway. lol

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that wordament does drain the battery faster than any other game.

As for the Titan II, the batter is just fine with me :)

bull420

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I play Wordament and Spell it, and they're both huge battery drainers. My battery saver activates within for playing a few hours.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it is just me, but I find the cosmetic look of the titan to look really nice. It is probably 2nd to the lumia. Samsung devices look cheap to me.

The only complaint cosmetically is how the camera sticks out. I put a case on it so that it doesn't. I would love it for the phone to be naked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077