titan 2 with old 3G unlimited data plan?

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have won a titan 2 but am on the old 3G unlimited data plan. I have no need for LTE and really like my 3G data plan. I have read that I have to use the new 4G sim. I am off contract and don't want to change my plan. Does AT&T grandfather you in? If not is there a way to keep my old 3G data plan and use an LTE phone. I have no need for LTE!

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Where are you located? You may not have LTE but may have HSPA+. It is much faster than 3g.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the 3G unlimited, with mms & SMS. In USA on at&t. I know what 4G/LTE is, I need to know how to keep my 3G data plan while using the titan 2. I don't want or need 4G speeds. I prefer slower, less battery draining 3G.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Keep your 3g SIM card in and don't upgrade the SIM or the plan.
Battery drain on the Titan II is very minimal though, even with 4g.
You can have ATT switch your unlimited 3G to 4G and there will be no cost, just have to get the 4G SIM card.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Others have reported that they simply told the salesperson that they wanted to keep there unlimited plan and it wasn't an issue.

You do realize that your unlimited 3G is capped at 3GB? They will throttle you to 2G if you go over 3GB.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
My LTE Lumia 900 seems to have better battery life than my Samsung Focus 3G. So I'm not seeing the terrible battery life of 4G/LTE that everyone claims.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
You get grandfathered in with no issue. Also, if you do not have 4g in your area then the phone will only work at 3g so battery life would be the exact same. In short, get 4g, there is zero reason not to.

PS - Once you are in an area with 4g there is no looking back lol! I have the Titan II and battery live is better than my old 3g WP device so don't let that worry you much either.

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Everyone.. update when I switch

Thanks for all the responses. I am a happy with the 3G unlimited data plan. I am not a heavy data user and even though 4G is faster, I prefer not having dropped calls and better overall service. In some locations, I get data but no voice. This actually happens frequently. In some areas, my data seems to die even though I get 3+ bars. Anyways, thanks again.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I am a happy with the 3G unlimited data plan. I am not a heavy data user and even though 4G is faster, I prefer not having dropped calls and better overall service. In some locations, I get data but no voice. This actually happens frequently. In some areas, my data seems to die even though I get 3+ bars. Anyways, thanks again.

You should actually get less dropped calls in LTE, because it isn't as saturated with users like 3G is.

I'm not sure if you're talking from experience or not, but all of the reasons (bad battery life, dropped calls, no data, etc) you gave about 4G/LTE are completely opposite of what's happening for me. I suppose it also depends on weather you actually live in an LTE area, which is limited right now. But overall, my experience has been better than 3G.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
no not really, voice is still handled over GSM...carriers have not implemented IP voice switching yet.

Oh that's true! Forgot about how it drops to 4G/3G. Then the OP shouldn't have a problem then either way, since they're fine with 3G quality.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Even if you are fine with 3g, I would just upgrade to 4g/LTE sim card. It is free, and you get faster speeds.

yeahbuddy78

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I am about to buy an unlocked "white box" brand new Titan II on eBay for $279 shipped. Every time these are listed they sell out in a day or so. The seller has 100% positive feedback and everyone's happy.

Anyway, I tried to trade my Lumia 900 for a Titan II and the deal fell through, so I'm buying one and sold my Lumia locally.

I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus that I use primarily, but want a Titan II to have occasional WP7 fun and since it uses a full-size SIM, swapping phones is easy (was a nightmare with the Lumia's micro-SIM).

Since the GNEX isn't an LTE phone, if I switch my AT&T plan to a 4G LTE plan, can I put my SIM in my Titan II and get HSDPA+ speeds? I know when I initially put the SIM in my GNEX I got dial-up speeds. After googling, I realized I needed a proper data plan to get HSDPA+ speeds. Found an Atrix IMEI online, called up AT&T and gave it to them - my speeds quadrupled as a result.

Is the LTE plan backwards compatible with HDSPA+?

jawesome

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that your unlimited 3G is capped at 3GB? They will throttle you to 2G if you go over 3GB.
This is false, with my Focus I've used up to 11.6gb of data and was not throttled. But now on LTE, AT&T sends me a text whenever I go over 5gb and they throttle me.

And I disagree about the minimal batted drain on LTE, my Titan's battery was much better than my Titan II's. I've considered getting an original Titan again now that custom ROMs are available.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa