HTC Connection Setup App for Titan II

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Okay, has anyone been able to get this app to work on the Titan II? From what I heard, the answer is no, it won't let you choose any carrier other than AT&T.

Meanwhile, HTC customer support is pretty hit or miss. Sometimes they give me useful answers, and other times they give me answers that are unrelated to what I've asked.

The first time I contacted HTC, I asked two questions: Can you please add Straight Talk, and can you please fix the app so that it will work on the HTC Titan II?

Response:

Connection setup should work fine on the Titan II, but at this time Straight Talk is not yet a part of the database for the app. We've been made aware of the situation though, and we're currently working on getting Straight Talk added to the app's database so our customers can use their Windows Phone 7 devices on Straight Talk. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention anyway! Thanks for being a member of the HTC community Angelo, and I hope you've been enjoying your weekend!

Okay, that makes sense, since a member of this forum, inteller, mentioned that they were (or were supposed to) be working on the Straight Talk profile.

But despite what the representative said, the Connection Setup app does not work for my Titan II. So I decide to reply and clarify what is wrong with the app. I mention the word T-Mobile once in my explanation, and this is what happens.

Thank you for your response. Please try adding an APN using these settings.

To add an APN : Tap Settings>Cellular>Add APN

Here are the settings your need for Straight Talk (T-mobile)

Name: Straight Talk

APN: wap.tracfone

Proxy: Leave Blank

Port: 8080

MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com

MMS Proxy: Blank
MMS Port: Blank

Wait what? Just because I mentioned T-Mobile doesn't mean I want APN settings. I wanted you to fix the Connection Settings app. FURTHERMORE, there isn't even a place to input the MMS settings! That's the whole point of the Connection Settings app!

Anyway, my questions are:

Has anyone been able to use the Connection Settings app and choose a carrier other than AT&T?

And if not, can everyone please write to HTC here:

Contact HTCdev

and ask them to fix the HTC Connection Settings app for the HTC Titan II?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
No, does not work on Titan II yet. I check for updates almost every day by reading the reviews. Almost every other one mentions the Titan II and Straight Talk.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I'm not too worried about Straight Talk because at least I was told they were working on it. What worries me is that one of the reps told me that the Connection Setup app works for Titan II, when it obviously doesn't.

I'm hoping they'll fix it soon because I'll be going on vacation this summer, and taking my unlocked Titan II with me.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just received another reply, and once again, HTC appears to be confused about what I'm asking. They think that I'm trying to use the Connection Setup app to setup APN settings for Straight Talk, but I already have the proper APN set up.

My real problem is that once they release a Straight Talk profile with working MMS, I will not be able to use it on the Titan II because the Connection Setup app won't let me choose any carrier other than AT&T or some random carrier in Taiwan.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I will send them a note and see how they reply. I would think the one's who should know are aware that the Connection App does not work with the Titan II. Hopefully it is updated soon.

SENT:

I have an HTC Titan II and the Connections App does not work on it. It appears it needs to be updated to include the Titan II. Upon reading reviews for the app, there are numerous complaints and confirmations regarding this, so you may already be aware of the issue. If you happen to know a timeframe when the update will include usage for the Titan II, or if this is being worked on, a reply would be appreicated. Thankfully it is not a defect with my phone. Thank you and have a good day.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Just got my reply. :confused:

Thank you for contacting HTC. I am sorry you are having problems with your phone Michael.

I am happy to assist you, but I need some more information. What is the name of the app and where did you download (or try to download) the app from. Please reply to this email with this information, so I will be able to assist you better. Remember Michael, you can always find tips & tricks at our self help web site HTC Help Center.

Again, thank you for contacting HTC and being a big part of HTC. I wish you a great day!

SO...

I sent them this:

The name of the app is: HTC Connection Setup

It is an HTC created app, and can be downloaded from the windows marketplace on any HTC phone and from the HTC Hub.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just got my reply. :confused:

Thank you for contacting HTC. I am sorry you are having problems with your phone Michael.

I am happy to assist you, but I need some more information. What is the name of the app and where did you download (or try to download) the app from.

Lol they don't even know their own app? :p

Anyway, I got a reply yesterday and they said they are investigating. Hopefully they don't take too long.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't answer the question about the Connection Setup app. Got this from HTC:

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for the issue you have related to the Connection Setup application on your HTC Titan II from AT&T. Please let me know the current service provider you are using on your unlocked device and I will be glad to help put the proper APN settings in so you may access the data on your phone Michael. These settings can be obtained from your provider as well. To input them into your device please select Settings > Cellular > Add APN. HTC cannot guarantee the full functionality of an unlocked device on a different network, but if it is a common service provider we may be able to get the data working, however there are no setting options for MMS or picture messaging.

Thank you for choosing HTC email support Michael and I hope to hear from you soon so we can have a resolution to your issue.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't answer the question about the Connection Setup app. Got this from HTC:

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for the issue you have related to the Connection Setup application on your HTC Titan II from AT&T. Please let me know the current service provider you are using on your unlocked device and I will be glad to help put the proper APN settings in so you may access the data on your phone Michael. These settings can be obtained from your provider as well. To input them into your device please select Settings > Cellular > Add APN. HTC cannot guarantee the full functionality of an unlocked device on a different network, but if it is a common service provider we may be able to get the data working, however there are no setting options for MMS or picture messaging.

Thank you for choosing HTC email support Michael and I hope to hear from you soon so we can have a resolution to your issue.

Wow, they're doing the same thing to you that they did to me. Looks like your'e going to have to explain the problem again.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
just keep pestering them. I'm getting the old run around with them right now at the moment too (delaying tactics like asking for ROM ver info and other useless crap). JUST KEEP BUGGING THEM!

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I will forward your email on your behalf to our development team for consideration in needed improvements to our Connection Setup Application. I apologize for this major inconvenience Michael and I hope it does not detract from your overall user experience. I am glad to hear you have the data working on your HTC Titan II.
Thank you for taking the time to email me about this and I hope you have a pleasant weekend Michael.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i'd love to have the email of the person who actually WRITES this app, but I get the impression they don't speak english.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I will forward your email on your behalf to our development team for consideration in needed improvements to our Connection Setup Application. I apologize for this major inconvenience Michael and I hope it does not detract from your overall user experience. I am glad to hear you have the data working on your HTC Titan II.
Thank you for taking the time to email me about this and I hope you have a pleasant weekend Michael.

Lol I can't believe they're only "considering" it as a needed improvement. It IS a needed improvement.

vincent_momo

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
This was the reply i got, so i guess they really are working on it?

Thank you for emailing HTC Technical Support regarding your Titan II and picture texting.

I will gladly address your concern today. At this time, this situation is under analysis; however, we do not have an exact timeframe to provide as to when resolution will be delivered.

I apologize for any inconveniences that this may have caused you.

If this answers your comment or question, please click here to complete the process.

To submit another comment, please click here.

Sincerely,

The HTCDev Team

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This was the reply i got, so i guess they really are working on it?

Thank you for emailing HTC Technical Support regarding your Titan II and picture texting.

I will gladly address your concern today. At this time, this situation is under analysis; however, we do not have an exact timeframe to provide as to when resolution will be delivered.

I apologize for any inconveniences that this may have caused you.

If this answers your comment or question, please click here to complete the process.

To submit another comment, please click here.

Sincerely,

The HTCDev Team

Hopefully.

Timothy0921

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Me too!

Well, I too, have just fired off a message to the HTC Support link provided farther up in the thread... Let's hope that if they hear the same thing, enough times, from enough folks, that we'll eventually get to use MMS on our unlocked Titan IIs on T-Mobile. After which, who knows? Maybe, we'll be lucky, and they'll make it possible for us to get data speeds beyond 2G (EDGE)! Or would that be asking TOO much? :p

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I too, have just fired off a message to the HTC Support link provided farther up in the thread... Let's hope that if they hear the same thing, enough times, from enough folks, that we'll eventually get to use MMS on our unlocked Titan IIs on T-Mobile. After which, who knows? Maybe, we'll be lucky, and they'll make it possible for us to get data speeds beyond 2G (EDGE)! Or would that be asking TOO much? :p

Well the 2G isn't exactly HTC's fault. The phone was designed to work on the AT&T network primarily.

Check out my post here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-800/193019.htm#post1670281

Just replace iPhone with the word Titan II.

Timothy0921

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Right right. Does anyone know (while we diligintly wait for HTC to update the Connection Setup app) if there's anything we could manually configure... possibly via the ##3282# option, to get our MMS working? I've given up on trying different T-Mobile APNs, as I've tried all the ones I know, new and old, but ##3282# has a whooooole bunch of options...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans