Why aren't folks talking about the TII?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So, my first WP device was a Lumia 900. Though I really like that device, I like this HTC TII better. My lumia had issues holding WiFi connections. Also had issues streaming videos in a synced fashion. And I used to really like the colors until I bought this TII on Craigslist. I realized that the Lumia while has nice black coloration seemed a bit over saturated on some colors. And the camera on that Lumia was only decent in ok lighting situation. I have really grown to love this Titan in the week I've had it.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Cost. Its like 2-3 times more for a bigger screen, bigger camera, and faster processor. Another thing is the dated design.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP. The Titan 2 is, IMO, a much better phone than the 900.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I get those points, but I feel this device should have been talked about or promoted bit more. The price does make it harder to consider the device, which is probably HTC or ATT fault, but my experience with it this far has been better. I admit, if I didn't buy it on craigslist then I wouldn't have bought it. SO, I'm thinking about selling my lumia before it's too late.

HTC messed up I think by not pushing this and decreasing the price point as well. This phone may not have been as big as the Nokia Lumia, but still probably could have pushed more numbers. Oh, and I guess the sketchy support could be an issue as well. Nokia is being really really good with the support so far. I think I'd still get a Nokia device once WP8 drops. That was part of my reasoning for trying the titan, because I know I'm simply just going to get a WP8 device for Christmas if it's out by then.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, its the fourth WP7 device I've owned, and I think its definitely the best.

Things I really like about the TII that NOBODY talks about :

1) There's more options for screen lock time - used to be you had to interop/developer unlock your device to change this setting in the registry - but the TII has the option to never lock the screen, or set it to 15 or 30 minutes. Like that HTC did that.

2) There's a noticeable volume jump from 29 to 30. HTC must've known if you set your volume to 30, you want it booming, because you can hear a significant jump in sound from 28 or 29 to 30.

3) Attentive Phone options - really nice to have, right in the settings.

4) Hearing Aids - I always had to have other WP7 devices at 10/10 to hear anyone, with the TII I use this setting and keep it down to about 6 or 7. Another nice feature.

5) Responsive capacitive buttons. Either I had problems hitting the Lumia 900's buttons or it was designed to be less responsive, but I could swear the TII responds better when I hit a capacitive button.

6) Notification LED - I love it. No Samsungs have it, no Nokias have it.

These are great features on top of some already great things like the curved chin which your fingers just seem to easily rest on, the great camera, and the large screen. The Nokia did spoil me with "Clear Black", and I like AMOLED screens better, but I also prefer using the light background (easier to read and I don't have great eyesight) - so the TII actually works better for my needs.

If I had to rank the WP7 devices I've owned, I'd go :

Titan II > Lumia 900 > Samsung Focus 2 > Samsung Focus

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, its the fourth WP7 device I've owned, and I think its definitely the best.

Things I really like about the TII that NOBODY talks about :

1) There's more options for screen lock time - used to be you had to interop/developer unlock your device to change this setting in the registry - but the TII has the option to never lock the screen, or set it to 15 or 30 minutes. Like that HTC did that.

2) There's a noticeable volume jump from 29 to 30. HTC must've known if you set your volume to 30, you want it booming, because you can hear a significant jump in sound from 28 or 29 to 30.

3) Attentive Phone options - really nice to have, right in the settings.

4) Hearing Aids - I always had to have other WP7 devices at 10/10 to hear anyone, with the TII I use this setting and keep it down to about 6 or 7. Another nice feature.

5) Responsive capacitive buttons. Either I had problems hitting the Lumia 900's buttons or it was designed to be less responsive, but I could swear the TII responds better when I hit a capacitive button.

6) Notification LED - I love it. No Samsungs have it, no Nokias have it.

These are great features on top of some already great things like the curved chin which your fingers just seem to easily rest on, the great camera, and the large screen. The Nokia did spoil me with "Clear Black", and I like AMOLED screens better, but I also prefer using the light background (easier to read and I don't have great eyesight) - so the TII actually works better for my needs.

If I had to rank the WP7 devices I've owned, I'd go :

Titan II > Lumia 900 > Samsung Focus 2 > Samsung Focus

Exactly! There are so many functions that HTC put into this phone. People say they didn't care much about it, but I think they did a decent job with a windows phone device. They just weren't focused on promoting it. They had bigger fish to fry with the HTC One series. I actually like the curved chin too, because when I flip the phone over to go to speaker phone, my glass wont get scratched. I only hope they expand upon some things in the next WP8 devices.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! There are so many functions that HTC put into this phone. People say they didn't care much about it, but I think they did a decent job with a windows phone device. They just weren't focused on promoting it. They had bigger fish to fry with the HTC One series. I actually like the curved chin too, because when I flip the phone over to go to speaker phone, my glass wont get scratched. I only hope they expand upon some things in the next WP8 devices.

Well, I think what happened is they released the Titan, but should have waited and just released the Titan 2 instead. I think Titan owners were pissed that their phone had "become outdated" in just a few months.

The mistakes HTC made with the Titan, they completely fixed with the Titan 2. I haven't had any of the reception problems I've heard about on the Titan, and the battery life is great. Not to mention, so far, no weird issues like the "memory bug" that continues to plague Titan owners.

I think the T2 would be considered the best Windows Phone if HTC had simply released it on TMobile as well - the fact that it was stuck on AT&T competing against the Lumia was a bad move on their part.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the ATT/T-mo merger was going on during the product's development cycle. T-Mo pretty much got robbed on all good phones during that period.

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Titan and then a month later the TII was released. Big WTF moment.

And the Lumia has had a lot of Advertisements marked for it while HTC/ATT have done nothing for the TII. Not even at the AT&T stores I've been to advertise the TII. Only the Lumia and the iPhone with signs in and around the stores while the TII was shoved in the corner.

Only people who actually went out and got the TII were previous Titan owners, a few WP7 users, and the couple people who saw it in the corner felt bad and bought it out of pitty.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the titan is a great phone, I just wish I could get a firmware update from HTC that would fix the problems that were resolved in the Titan II. I dont like the stupid chin on the TII.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think what happened is they released the Titan, but should have waited and just released the Titan 2 instead. I think Titan owners were pissed that their phone had "become outdated" in just a few months.

The mistakes HTC made with the Titan, they completely fixed with the Titan 2. I haven't had any of the reception problems I've heard about on the Titan, and the battery life is great. Not to mention, so far, no weird issues like the "memory bug" that continues to plague Titan owners.

I think the T2 would be considered the best Windows Phone if HTC had simply released it on TMobile as well - the fact that it was stuck on AT&T competing against the Lumia was a bad move on their part.

It's like the HTC Titan was a beta test for HTC.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

I think you have just exposed the companies out there! Just like how the Lumia 900 was a beta test for their future WP8 phones.....right? Lol.

And that chin has some functionality on it as well. It's no overbearing and it keep the screen off of the table top just enough so you wont scratch it. Or would you have rather have the whole thing curve like the G-Nex? Either face design is ok for me.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think you have just exposed the companies out there! Just like how the Lumia 900 was a beta test for their future WP8 phones.....right? Lol.

And that chin has some functionality on it as well. It's no overbearing and it keep the screen off of the table top just enough so you wont scratch it. Or would you have rather have the whole thing curve like the G-Nex? Either face design is ok for me.

yeah except the fact it made it incompatible with all the HTC Titan accessories.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
the titan is a great phone, I just wish I could get a firmware update from HTC that would fix the problems that were resolved in the Titan II. I dont like the stupid chin on the TII.

The chin is one of the best parts. It helps your fingers know exactly where you are so you never miss a button push again. Its actually my favorite feature on the phone. The only way I'd "give up" the chin, is if it were flat but replace the Windows/Home button with a physical button instead of capactive, the way it is on the Focus Flash.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

I think it was - I think they wanted to see if there was a demand for larger screen Windows Phones. I think the Titan sold pretty well when compared to all the other WP7 devices. I also think AT&T was prepping their LTE network at the time the Titan launched and insisted that HTC make a new Titan with LTE included - same way they did with Samsung and the Galaxy S II Skyrocket.

Benzme

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I like the "chin" or up-turn at the bottom of the phone. It adds another dimension. I have found some Titan stock available and will probably still buy one. Already have iphones in the business and I would like something different.

It does everything I need a phone for and I don't think 8 will add any more appeal except for maybe HD screen and more storage. Still not issues for me though.

And I've already bought a nice case for it:p

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife is fixing to return Titan #3 due to audio problems. That would mean 4 HTC Titans. We are goinig to draw a line in the imaginary sand and demand something better for her. She enjoys WP, but she has had it.

I have talked to her about the T2, but she just kinda glared at me. It is so disappointing, because I know most of the issues could be fixed by software updates. Her keyboard disappears so much more than mine ever did on my Focus S, and I got updates to fix mine. The audio problems (echoes, poor volume to those who call her, horrid quality) almost certainly could be, and we both use our phones a ton. She can't use it at all for a call longer than a minute.

Throw in last years Android efforts where the Sense UI completely bogged down performance worse than any other Android UI did on Gingerbread and you have what we refer to as a pattern. Sure, their UI looked nice and had a great reputation from earlier less buggy versions. But the performance over the last year was dismal as they completely overdid the UI, and than left their owners to flop around on their own without sending fixes even as dissapointed owners moved on to Samsung's Galaxy series and even back to Motorola's "Non-Blur" UI on Gingerbread.

To me, the problems HTC is having in lost sales in the last 18 months, including the complete ignoring of the T2 as a WP option, is not a shocker. They haven't supported their devices and have left their owners shaking their heads in disgust. The T2 may well be a great device. Unfortunately, since they may have lost my wife's business, we may never know. Just makes me sad. I love HTC's devices feel and their physical quality.

What a waste.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

I liked the chin too, I thought it looked nice. I actually still have not seen the Galaxy Nexus in person. What surprises me is although Android has more marketshare, I still see a lot more iPhones than I do Android devices.

My wife is fixing to return Titan #3 due to audio problems. That would mean 4 HTC Titans. We are goinig to draw a line in the imaginary sand and demand something better for her. She enjoys WP, but she has had it.

I have talked to her about the T2, but she just kinda glared at me. It is so disappointing, because I know most of the issues could be fixed by software updates. Her keyboard disappears so much more than mine ever did on my Focus S, and I got updates to fix mine. The audio problems (echoes, poor volume to those who call her, horrid quality) almost certainly could be, and we both use our phones a ton. She can't use it at all for a call longer than a minute.

Throw in last years Android efforts where the Sense UI completely bogged down performance worse than any other Android UI did on Gingerbread and you have what we refer to as a pattern. Sure, their UI looked nice and had a great reputation from earlier less buggy versions. But the performance over the last year was dismal as they completely overdid the UI, and than left their owners to flop around on their own without sending fixes even as dissapointed owners moved on to Samsung's Galaxy series and even back to Motorola's "Non-Blur" UI on Gingerbread.

To me, the problems HTC is having in lost sales in the last 18 months, including the complete ignoring of the T2 as a WP option, is not a shocker. They haven't supported their devices and have left their owners shaking their heads in disgust. The T2 may well be a great device. Unfortunately, since they may have lost my wife's business, we may never know. Just makes me sad. I love HTC's devices feel and their physical quality.

What a waste.

HTC customer support just sucks. I know I've said this before, but HTC doesn't really seem to care about their WP customers. I just about had it with them and was about to sell my Titan II when I was offered a trade for a Lumia 900. Did the trade, and now I can finally send/receive MMS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb