ATT Titan II updated to 7.8

Depauville Kid

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I updated using the Seven-Eighter app. I love my Titan II, brilliant phone, just disappointed with HTC or Att lack of update support. Not sure who is really to blame, don't care either. I got tired of waiting, so I did the work around. Apparently, this method is the real 7.8 from Microsoft. Using the Seven-Eighter app just circumvents Att. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong. Here's how I personally did it in case you would like to do the same to your phone.

1st: I have an on contract, normal locked Titan II from Att. Never been hacked or unlocked. After the update, everything works great, ran it through the full gamut of tests. Works just as if the update came from Att itself through Zune. All my photos, apps, call log, contacts, and text messages were all still there after the update. It's NOT a clean install, all of your stuff and settings will still be on your phone after the update. No need to re-download anything.

2nd: If you're worried about breaking your phone like I was, here's a few things to ease your mind. After the update is completed, if you happen to attempt to update through Zune for the **** of it, Zune recognizes that you are now on 7.8. Zune also has a roll-back (restore) feature that would allow you to go back to your previous build if you don't like it or it's not working. Also, if something goes wrong mid-update and your phone is left in limbo without an OS, just pull the sim cover to reset it. Then, with the phone OFF, hold the volume up and volume down keys. With them held, press the power button once. A bios screen will appear allowing you to factory reset.

3rd: With all that covered, here's how I updated my Att Titan II.

1. Download the Seven-Eighter app from Windows Phone Hacker: Windows Phone Hacker
It will be zipped, so just "extract all" to unzip it.

2. You will also need to download the Wp7 Updater Tool from the same website. That will be a .rar file. Just get the right software to open and install the Wp7 Tool on your PC.

3. Now that Wp7 Updater Tool is installed on your PC, go back to the Seven-Eighter app. With your Titan II plugged in to your pc via usb and it's on, run the 7.8 app. FYI, in the Seven-Eighter app folder, you'll have a "run" app and two folders. You need the "run" app. Just ignore the folders.

4. You'll be prompted to choose your languages. Choose them ALL! This is key. You need all of them, not just the English one. So, check every box, otherwise the update won't take.

5. The progress box will begin and run through this cycle: Downloading Files... Transferring Files... Installing... Restarting Phone. It will do this for each of the updates you need to get to 7.8. My phone took 4 updates I believe since I never got Tango. You don't need to re-run it each time, it will just keep going automatically until you get to 7.8. Just don't unplug the phone and just sit back and watch the show. You'll know you've reached 7.8 when the progress bar gives you a pop-up that says, "Congratulations. You're Done!"

And that's it. It was super easy to do. Again, this is for Titan II. I am by no means an expert and am not responsible if it doesn't work for you. Just wanted to share my experience. I looked around for someone who also did it with a Titan II and came up short. I felt like a guinea pig, so that's why I'm sharing. To let you know another Att Titan II owner was successful.

Good Luck.

jonx15

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I did mine last night....all is well except when I'm in the market looking at an app...when I slide to look at the "related app" screen...the market gives an error and will not show related apps..
Checks yours and see if it does the same thing..
Thanks..

jonx15

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Well....just checked the same thing on my nokia 920...It doesn't show an error screen but there are no results for related apps...
Looks like it may be on their end....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Depauville Kid

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Where exactly is the windows phone 7 updater tool i cant find it in the website

Just Google this exact search: "Wp7 Update Tool".

When I did that, it was the first hit. Like I said, it's a .rar file. When I clicked on the hit, it doesn't even open a website, it just offers to download the tool. Give that a shot.

Depauville Kid

May 28, 2012
Visit site
If for some reason you cannot find Wp7 Update Tool, I'm pretty sure you can use any other program that allows you to side load apps onto your phone. Basically, only Zune recognizes your phone. So, in order for the Seven-Eighter app to update your phone, you need a side load program to give Seven-Eighter access to your phone.

Depauville Kid

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Depauville, got it working and even my girl that has a lumia 920 is jelouse of my screen.

I'm glad it's working out for a lot Titan II users. It's about time we got an update. My contract is up in June and I am really torn as to which phone to get. I really really want the HTC 8X. The lack of updates is the only thing that is giving me hesitation. Well, I've got several months to make a decision.

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Just updated myself! Haven't checked everything out yet just the re-sizing of the tiles and the new theme colors. Will update if I notice anything, I can confirm the "related apps" error in the marketplace. Man I am EXCITED! lol

NSAgent

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok im not getting this. I installed the WP7 update tool but every time I try to run seveneighter it says, "SevenEighter.exe is not a valid win32 application" Why is this happening?!?

Depauville Kid

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok im not getting this. I installed the WP7 update tool but every time I try to run seveneighter it says, "SevenEighter.exe is not a valid win32 application" Why is this happening?!?

Did you actually unzip the program first by extracting it, or are you attempting to run the program from within the zip folder? If that doesn't help, I'm all out of ideas. Again, I am no expert. I was just lucky enough to get it to work.

Depauville Kid

May 28, 2012
Visit site
problem is, you are missing out on any potential firmware updates from HTC.

I can't miss out on something that will never happen. Again, not sure if it's HTC not pushing out the updates or if it's ATT not wanting to authorize updates for HTC windows phones. Not sure who is to blame and don't care. I love my Titan 2, but updates just never come. For me personally, I'm upgrading in June regardless to WP8. This is just to tide me over. If ATT does release a "potential firmware update," then I'll just roll my phone back to the original release build and get the official update. It's a non-issue for me. Everyone else will have to decide for themselves of course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss