Neowin Quick Titan Review

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes but he's made me think about how faberoonie my Super Amoled screen is again 1jaxstate1, grrrr i was trying to get over it, sigh.

I'm now not convined as much as i was about the Titan screen. (again) LOL

Come on Samsung damn you!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
He had the same effect on my too. It's now more of a 60/40 chance of me getting this phone. the "comical" comment he made scares me.
Yes but he's made me think about how faberoonie my Super Amoled screen is again 1jaxstate1, grrrr i was trying to get over it, sigh.

I'm now not convined as much as i was about the Titan screen. (again) LOL

Come on Samsung damn you!

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
WOW! look at those doggy camera samples. :)

At first I thought you said dodgy camera samples and I couldn't figure out which ones you were talking about. Then I reread and saw my mistake. Those pics look absolutely amazing, it looks like HTC have really been doing some work on the camera.

I am a little put off after this review though, the comments about getting worse hardware for the same price as other phones really got to me. I don't have the money to buy a new phone whenever I feel like it, so I try to buy hardware that will last. The screen is still a big factor in me wanting this phone, but now I'm second-guessing my decision. I think I'm going to try play with one of these before buying and make my own decision first hand.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
yes I agree boss.king, he's kind of put me off it a little too, not too much though, but i'm still patiently awaiting on a Samsung announcement here first before I take the plunge. :)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100%. The sad thing is, this will probably be the top hardware, depending on what Nokia is going to do. I still want this phone, but his comments stings.
At first I thought you said dodgy camera samples and I couldn't figure out which ones you were talking about. Then I reread and saw my mistake. Those pics look absolutely amazing, it looks like HTC have really been doing some work on the camera.

I am a little put off after this review though, the comments about getting worse hardware for the same price as other phones really got to me. I don't have the money to buy a new phone whenever I feel like it, so I try to buy hardware that will last. The screen is still a big factor in me wanting this phone, but now I'm second-guessing my decision. I think I'm going to try play with one of these before buying and make my own decision first hand.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
What's with that dude Muhammad Farrukh in the review thread? He seems to be perfectly happy paying more for lesser hardware? That's just dumb

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Having just left my Galaxy S2 behind which is currently best specced phone on the market I have to tell you that I do not notice going from dual core back to one or dropping from 1gb Ram to 512.

Maybe it is because Windows is built to run on MS minimum spec it can be optimised alot more, rather than Android which just seems to get more bloated with each release leaving people with 3 month old phones that are stuck on an old version and can't access half the apps.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Having just left my Galaxy S2 behind which is currently best specced phone on the market I have to tell you that I do not notice going from dual core back to one or dropping from 1gb Ram to 512.

Maybe it is because Windows is built to run on MS minimum spec it can be optimised alot more, rather than Android which just seems to get more bloated with each release leaving people with 3 month old phones that are stuck on an old version and can't access half the apps.

Not sure if that was a reply to me. My issue isn't with the hardware it's with the price. It's like paying $10 for 5 candy bars as opposed to $10 for 8 candy bars. there is no reason to charge the same for a lower speced phone.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I went a bit off track...
Yes you are right, as much as love my shiny new Titan it does hurt that it cost the same as the SG2 which on specs is **** of a lot better.

jonsmith89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is an awful review. He's reviewing the Titan as an Android phone in every sense. I don't understand the problem with price, it's a top of the line phone and as that it gets the top of the line price. Pretty simple. But I can guarantee this phone will last longer and get more updates than the Sensation/XL/XE. So paying more for a phone that lags NOW, will lag with future updates (if it gets any), and will be outdated in 6 months makes sense? Not to me. There's more happening here than initial costs.

This review has seriously burned my biscuits.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The camera appears to be much better on the Titan, however, the colors on some of those outdoor shots are absolutely atrocious.

Gunzta

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Got my Titan today, and I absolutely love it. :) Great camera, OS is even more buttery smooth than my 1Ghz Omnia. Screen is not quite as nice as the Omnia in colour reproduction but its certainly not a bad screen by any means. And its nice to have the size. Feels like my HD2 did when I got it. I'm a happy customer. :)

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Screen is not quite as nice as the Omnia in colour reproduction but its certainly not a bad screen by any means.
Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express
Oh i'm slowly being returned to the Super Amoled Plus side of things.

I can live with a 4.3 inch better quality screen rather than 4.7 I'm sure. :)

Thank you Gunzta. (I think) ;)

(Still tapping fingers awaitng a Samsung European Focus S announcement, sigh)

Gunzta

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh i'm slowly being returned to the Super Amoled Plus side of things.

I can live with a 4.3 inch better quality screen rather than 4.7 I'm sure. :)

Thank you Gunzta. (I think) ;)

(Still tapping fingers awaitng a Samsung European Focus S announcement, sigh)

Right I have an update, and I'm sure this will help you feel good about how you're thinking.

I had to work today, and I don't have a case for my Titan yet. No way was I going to risk taking and using the Titan without a case. (I tend to prefer a decent leather case with the pull tab system for easy release.) I have a nice case for my Omnia and so I slipped my SIM back into my Omnia and powered it up.

BINGO, DING DING DING. Wow that screen is just popping, colours are leaping of the screen and the tiles on the start screen are almost glowing they are so bright! Yep you've guessed it, while I love the Titan and its form factor, I'm afraid that after having an Amoled screen, I can't go back to a standard HTC screen. It just looks washed out compared to the Omnia, unless I turn the Titan screen up to max brightness and then the blacks just look like a joke on the Titan.

I hadn't realised just how nice these Amoled screens are.. blacks are just that, jet black and colours are so vibrant that they almost jump off the screen at you.

I also noticed that because of the resolution of the Titan screen has not been increased that you can actually notice the larger pixels. I could see jaggies on diagonal lines and curves in letters. This is something I had never noticed on my Omnia, even up close. It's like there is no anti aliasing on the text, but the Omnia has beautifully smooth curves and diagonal lines.

It's certainly not a bad screen. I have a friend who upgraded from a HTC Trophy to a Titan on the same day as me, and he is loving his screen. He thinks it MUCH better than his old Trophy and is very happy with it. However he has never seen an Amoled screen to compare it to.

As I didn't get this as a contract upgrade, I had to actually put my hand in my pocket and drop ?500 of my own money on the handset, the device needs to be blowing me away and nigh on perfect. Sadly the screen is not blowing me away, and so I shall be returning it under the distance selling regulations here in the UK for a full refund.

I want a bigger screen and so it looks like +1 for me waiting on Samsung and Nokia high end device announcements.

hope this helps some people out there make their minds up. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Right I have an update, and I'm sure this will help you feel good about how you're thinking.

I had to work today, and I don't have a case for my Titan yet. No way was I going to risk taking and using the Titan without a case. (I tend to prefer a decent leather case with the pull tab system for easy release.) I have a nice case for my Omnia and so I slipped my SIM back into my Omnia and powered it up.

BINGO, DING DING DING. Wow that screen is just popping, colours are leaping of the screen and the tiles on the start screen are almost glowing they are so bright! Yep you've guessed it, while I love the Titan and its form factor, I'm afraid that after having an Amoled screen, I can't go back to a standard HTC screen. It just looks washed out compared to the Omnia, unless I turn the Titan screen up to max brightness and then the blacks just look like a joke on the Titan.

I hadn't realised just how nice these Amoled screens are.. blacks are just that, jet black and colours are so vibrant that they almost jump off the screen at you.

I also noticed that because of the resolution of the Titan screen has not been increased that you can actually notice the larger pixels. I could see jaggies on diagonal lines and curves in letters. This is something I had never noticed on my Omnia, even up close. It's like there is no anti aliasing on the text, but the Omnia has beautifully smooth curves and diagonal lines.

It's certainly not a bad screen. I have a friend who upgraded from a HTC Trophy to a Titan on the same day as me, and he is loving his screen. He thinks it MUCH better than his old Trophy and is very happy with it. However he has never seen an Amoled screen to compare it to.

As I didn't get this as a contract upgrade, I had to actually put my hand in my pocket and drop ?500 of my own money on the handset, the device needs to be blowing me away and nigh on perfect. Sadly the screen is not blowing me away, and so I shall be returning it under the distance selling regulations here in the UK for a full refund.

I want a bigger screen and so it looks like +1 for me waiting on Samsung and Nokia high end device announcements.

hope this helps some people out there make their minds up. :)
Thank you so much for taking the time to post that Gunzta. You have now made my mind up for me.
(Titan is now off my want list)

I would be so annoyed if i didn't have my Super Amoled quality i'm so used to. :)

Granted, many users who haven't had Super Amoled would be none the wiser. But as you have confirmed, I probably would. :)

Last edited:

Gunzta

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Update 2. I might have been a little harsh yesterday. Having lived with the Titan for another day, I've overcome some of my objections. Text issue was application specific, texts looks fine everywhere else apart from a couple of Apps.

Screen. Now I've turn auto brightness off and set the screen to medium or high, colours are better and not so much of a deal breaker. In fact it seems to be a trade off, the Titan has much better and brighter whites, and less impressive blacks where as the Omnia is the opposite, great blacks but less impressive whites.

I think I've decided to keep the Titan, but I will still be keeping a close eye on Samsung and Nokia announcements. :)

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05