I think I am going to get this phone.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The Focus S did pop more than the SLCD screens when I went in last weekend. No titans to compare but others were there. But, unless its right next to one every day, you will not be aware of the differences. Anything is better than my current screen resolution and brightness. Titan is heavier because its not plastic.

Last edited:

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Dublin is GMT time, is GMT, so that could be why. But the titan you can buy off of expansys/amazon is the UK version. As for the screen, I have seen both in person. It won't bother those who don't care (lol), but is most noticeable with the white on black background (IMO). I have/had (respectively) the focus and galaxy sii, and enjoyed the appearance of a black slate that simply "lighted up" right on the surface. Of course, it's not without flaws (many UI elements have a slight background to them that is colored like bad LCD glow), so outside of a few key points, you'll likely be very hard pressed to notice the "infinite contrast," in practice (i.e, the kb and word suggestion area has this). Have fun.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
AT&T version says "AT&T" on top instead of "HTC."

At&t HTC Titan Unboxing - Windows Phone - YouTube

I disagree about the screen, though I haven't seen both in person next to each other. I think the real advantage of AMOLED would be in a very dark environment where the infinite contrast really shines. But I don't use my phones in the dark, so that doesn't matter to me.

HTC Titan review: Huge is the new big - GSMArena.com

Screen looks good by measurement specs here. I bet gamut is more accurate than the Focus S, as well, which also matters to me.

Take it for what it's worth, but in both dark and light that Titan looks like butt. I'd say just above HD7s quality, but to each his own.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, its never a good idea to judge screens on a video. From all the Titan reviews I've seen, the screen comments are always positive, some saying its right up there with the Super AMOLEDS. It obviously won't have the over-saturated colors or light output of a Super AMOLED, so comparing them side by side will show drastic results. All the comparisons I've seen show the Titan having incredible whites compared to most phones too. It seems like a pretty color accurate phone compared to the others. Whether you like that or not is up to the individual. I greatly appreciate that and dislike AMOLEDS because they are nowhere near color accurate from what I've seen.

Not to mention, if your trying to compare phones screen through a video, is the monitor your using color calibrated? Probably not for most.

Its all personal preference. Most hands on reviews have positive things to say about the Titans screen. I can certainly understand people preferring the pop from AMOLEDS however.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
How much the screen "pops" is not my prerogative. I think it is important to outline those types of requirements before opining. Color *accuracy* and a gamut approximate to sRGB (not way wider) is what I prefer. This is also coming from a guy who still prefers CRTs (and, when I get a flat panel, probably a plasma) to the eye-poppingly-processed LCD-type panels. Some of this comes from my photog hobbyist background where I expect blue sky to be blue, not day-glow, and skin tones to be accurate, not red/magenta. Unless I deliberately enhance the image. The screen should NEVER EVER do this for me.

For the basic WP7 interface, admittedly, SAMOLED+ will look "better." But when I view photos, I have no tolerance for pumped up saturation, et al. And I will obviously view actual photos on this phone.

So those are my values.

It obviously won't have the over-saturated colors or light output of a Super AMOLED,

Actually, it's brighter. According to the GSM Arena review, the Titan, on 100% brightness, has whites that are 56% brighter than the SGSII, which I assume uses the same screen as the Focus S. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was also more power efficient at the same time.

E-mail viewing and web browsing is largely on a white background, which contrasts directly with the core WP7 interface. And based on what I expect I will use the phone for, I'll be in the browser and e-mail more often than the core WP7 interface.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
On whites, the gsii had an unstoppable feature that dimmed the display. Focus S has an option to disable it. Then again, I don't stare at a white screen all day.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've done a more in-depth side by side with the Focus S, and while the Amoled does make contrasts rather nicely, the colors aren't natural looking. While the black background of the Titan doesn't come close to the black from the S, the whites are much better, which in turn makes the color more natural.

I turned the brightness on both to high--the S stayed very black, and the Titan's black seemed a little lighter. Looking at both devices from the side, the S definitely has a blueish hue, and noting that, I saw pictures had an unnatural tint to them. One photo, that had a lot of wall in the shot, stayed consisten on the Titan. On the S, the edges of the wall had a grayish color to them--what wall, painted, looks different like that?

In addition to the chicken and rice I'm having for dinner, I believe I am eating my words!

EDIT: Also, I went to AT&T and tried to add an APN for their network, but the dude says they can't add one until the device is recognized by their software, on Sunday. Guess I'll just have to wait? Wonder if it'll just work that morning or I'll have to go in.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for taking another look. I am fairly convinced that I will prefer the Titan's screen to the Focus S.

How did the overall brightness compare with both cranked up to high?

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for taking another look. I am fairly convinced that I will prefer the Titan's screen to the Focus S.

How did the overall brightness compare with both cranked up to high?

The whites really goood on the Titan, but the black background looks backlit. The blacks on the S look really dark, but the colors look oversaturated. Little bit of a trade off.

Titan's high bright isn't bad, but the S's high bright is very bright.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey this is my second wp device, first i got a mozart and now i have a titan. I really think it's a great phone and i really like to use it :-D
welcome.gif

You liking the Titan knudsen81 ? I'm still saving up my pennies to buy one as my network don't have it, grrrrrr.

Welcome along to WPC. :)

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey this is my second wp device, first i got a mozart and now i have a titan. I really think it's a great phone and i really like to use it :-D

I think I'm back on board.... one.... more... day... to release! I can't wait to see it up close!

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is able to get the Titan today at retail kindly let us know. I called a bunch of stores in the Boston area and most didn't even know what the Titan was and none of them said they will have stock on Sunday and that it takes a few days after a phones release to get them in stores. I can't wait any longer. I want this phone!!!

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is able to get the Titan today at retail kindly let us know. I called a bunch of stores in the Boston area and most didn't even know what the Titan was and none of them said they will have stock on Sunday and that it takes a few days after a phones release to get them in stores. I can't wait any longer. I want this phone!!!

Yeah, thats how it was with the Focus S too. Different stores would just get it in stock here & there. So with the Titan being released on a Sunday, might be tough to find today (unless they got it in earlier in the week).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte