I think I am going to get this phone.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
iOS5 is having major wifi problems too according to a lot of users.

XDA is a dev site right? Are all these problems on Dev unlocked phones or retail locked carrier versions? Just seems weird that the number of apps would cause problems with speed in a running app. No idea why the phone would not work as a phone 100% of the time though. That is a major problem if its not carrier related.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just to summarize a few from the Titan forum over at XDA:
Callers can't hear you half the time
After loaded a certain amount (or certain) of apps, the phone becomes laggy playing video/games
WiFi connection integrity issues

They've already got a hold of some official (but unreleased) service center rom and they're talking about flashing it in and if it fixed certain bugs. That just gave me flashbacks to the current WinMo phone that I use, and used to flash monthly.

I want to switch to WP7 for smooth, bug-free operation. Not an experience like WinMo or Android.

I'm not totally dissuaded but I am keeping on eye on issues at the same time.

Have to keep in mind the Titan has been out longer than the Focus S (in my mind, the only real competitor) and to an international user base, at that. So I need to take that into consideration.

That's why I am hopeful that AT&T will at least make sure the phone is bug-free for their user base. I have no idea if this is something they care about, or if they only do network validation testing.

Hopefully the issues being based are not hardware related and can be fixed with firmware and / or OS updates.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
iOS5 is having major wifi problems too according to a lot of users.

XDA is a dev site right? Are all these problems on Dev unlocked phones or retail locked carrier versions? Just seems weird that the number of apps would cause problems with speed in a running app. No idea why the phone would not work as a phone 100% of the time though. That is a major problem if its not carrier related.

It's still working better for me than iOS 3.1.3, lol! That sucker on my old iPod touch 1g consistantly (read: whenever I actually wanted to use it) failed to connect to my hidden SSID network. :(

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I hear you. After playing with the Focus S I just wasn't inspired the way I thought I might be. I think the Titan is my device, I just need to make sure I'm not going to be fighting bugs for the first 6 months.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm devastated. I thought I finally made a decision, lol.

Oh well, I love my Focus anyway. I can play wait and see a while longer.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If you are patient, the most conservative decision would just be to see how the first AT&T Titans appear to be. I'll have to decide if I want to be among these people, or sit back and see how people react.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I will be swithing over 2 lines from Sprint, the primary of which has been with them for 12 years. So for me the decision gets more complex.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If I get a phone and it has bugs it will be going back and I will be getting a refund. I do not just roll over and take it, and hope for fixes down the line. I can always put my sim card back in my iphone and wait for the next devices or exchange for a 4S.

soullinker20

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
i hope they're already in excellent condition when the titan comes here in the philippines

i'm ready to switch OS as i find the tiles suiting me best especially i'm not much into apps

and the battery will be better than the iP4..

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
<-- Not patient! lol I've been holding out on my contract upgrade for a year already. :'(

I know, right? LOL. I have been off contract since Februaryish and it's burning a hole in my pocket!

If I get a phone and it has bugs it will be going back and I will be getting a refund. I do not just roll over and take it, and hope for fixes down the line. I can always put my sim card back in my iphone and wait for the next devices or exchange for a 4S.

I hear you. I am worried a bit though - I am on my third Focus, which I have warrantied twice due to very reasonable complaints, and I am worried that AT&T may fire me. :) I think I need my next phone to be the last one I have for a while.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Focus S when it came out and just love how the colors pop off the screen. Just got home from getting a Titan and, all due respect to wpcentral's reviewers, but I can't comprehend how they think this screen looks better than the S's Super Amoled+. The Titan looks just as washed out as my HD7.

Besides the size, I don't really see what this thing has going for it. It doesn't feel as light as the S and it's definitely louder, but beyond that I'm having a hard time figuring out why this phone is so hyped. I guess having the HTC apps are good?

I'll have to see after a couple days which one I'd use as a primary.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Focus S when it came out and just love how the colors pop off the screen. Just got home from getting a Titan and, all due respect to wpcentral's reviewers, but I can't comprehend how they think this screen looks better than the S's Super Amoled+. The Titan looks just as washed out as my HD7.

Besides the size, I don't really see what this thing has going for it. It doesn't feel as light as the S and it's definitely louder, but beyond that I'm having a hard time figuring out why this phone is so hyped. I guess having the HTC apps are good?

HTC apps and general build are very solid. The screen is no slouch, but in the end, it's still a LCD panel (to be more precise, believed to be a *VA tech panel - good black levels, horrid just about everywhere else, especially response time vs TN and even IPS).

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site

How'd you get a Titan earlY?

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
How'd you get a Titan earlY?

I guess I can say how. I worked an Inner Circle Event last night and those of us that demo'd got to choose a phone. Since I'm perpetually early I got the only Titan they had available. I'm beginning to think my version is a UK version because I reset to customize/etc and it defaulted to the Dublin timezone. That and I can't get a 3G signal whereas my Focus S get five bars of 4G.

The HTC apps are nice, no doubt, and the build quality trumps the S hands down. But like jeremyshaw said, the screen is just gross, and there's a dip in framrate when you scroll. Not lag per se, but you can obviously see the frames.

Once I get it working with 3G I'll put it through some tests, but so far it's not making me sing its praises in the center of town.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
AT&T version says "AT&T" on top instead of "HTC."

At&t HTC Titan Unboxing - Windows Phone - YouTube

I disagree about the screen, though I haven't seen both in person next to each other. I think the real advantage of AMOLED would be in a very dark environment where the infinite contrast really shines. But I don't use my phones in the dark, so that doesn't matter to me.

HTC Titan review: Huge is the new big - GSMArena.com

Screen looks good by measurement specs here. I bet gamut is more accurate than the Focus S, as well, which also matters to me.

FuriousGeorge984

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Weird, I don't think I've had any of the issues mentioned. The only issue that I've had so far that has bugged me is that it can sometimes be inconsistent switching from 3G to WiFi when you enter a WiFi zone. (I think this is a Mango issue generally)

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost thinking I will have to use the phone for a week in order to make a final decision. I want to upgrade real bad, and for me, the decision on which handset to jump to is either based on the size of the Titan's screen (I really want a larger phone for my ham-sized hands) versus What Nokia Music turns into in the USA (I really like the idea of the 14 hours of free offline downloads).

So I guess I need to see the Titan in my hands for a bit. If I end up not liking it, I think I will hold off and see what Nokia does in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077