So this or the Focus S?

jsfranke

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Based on the way the phone gets put together, the outer shell would be incredibly easy to replace. This aspect makes the Titan more appealing to me.

Have you even noticed how you access the SIM card? You basically remove the entire outer shell (the metal body). Very interesting design choice.

But I look at how my macbook (please dont shoot me) got dented and its just too much to replace. I am just extremely curious.

I also like the slendernesss of the focus S, but have big hands, (8 inches), so I feel that the Titan may be a perfect fit for me.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Did some looking around for battery covers and they seem to be pretty cheap. $25 for an imagio or incredible cover so I would assume same price when the Titan gets a bit older.

Dont abuse your electronics. Or think of them as battle scars and show off the durability of your phone. :)

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Played with the Titan today in one hand, the S in the other. I'm def going with the Focus S.

The Titan is a super nice device that's well built, but its not for me. More of a personal preference, but the thing felt unwieldy in my hand. Big & heavy. And I couldn't cradle the phone + comfortably have total sweep with my thumb over the entire screen. The S just felt more comfortable & more natural.

^I'm adding to my original comment. I played around at great length with the Focus S today (at two different stores), plus the Titan a little bit moe. I honestly don't care for either phone now. :-(

The Titan for the same reasons. Plus, I noticed jaggies in the text on web pages. Not too big of a deal, but its def there. As good as the screen quality is, I think that was bound to happen with that big of a screen at that resolution.

On to the Focus S. Its got issues that I just can't get past & don't feel I should be shelling out money for. Mainly, its the typing lag. I just can't get past it. And the issue isn't present on the Flash, or my old Focus. They're both super accurate & speedy. Its only the Focus S that's the problem.

Now, I'm kinda at a loss since these are basically all we're going to get in the next few months. Hopefully Nokia will blow them both out of the water early next year. I may even look into importing a Lumia 800 to here in the US, but that's kinda crazy expensive right now. Sigh.

pdangcil

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup... the Focus S feels to cheap for my taste. The AT&T stores here have them right by each other for easy comparison. The Titan wins hands down. But I agree about the resolution and the big screen. Although I feel the resolution could be better, I think that this is the perfect phone for me!!!
If only they stock more than two at each store!!

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Just so you know, the so-called typing lag goes away when you turn off the key press sounds.

^I'm adding to my original comment. I played around at great length with the Focus S today (at two different stores), plus the Titan a little bit moe. I honestly don't care for either phone now. :-(

The Titan for the same reasons. Plus, I noticed jaggies in the text on web pages. Not too big of a deal, but its def there. As good as the screen quality is, I think that was bound to happen with that big of a screen at that resolution.

On to the Focus S. Its got issues that I just can't get past & don't feel I should be shelling out money for. Mainly, its the typing lag. I just can't get past it. And the issue isn't present on the Flash, or my old Focus. They're both super accurate & speedy. Its only the Focus S that's the problem.

Now, I'm kinda at a loss since these are basically all we're going to get in the next few months. Hopefully Nokia will blow them both out of the water early next year. I may even look into importing a Lumia 800 to here in the US, but that's kinda crazy expensive right now. Sigh.

asac12

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I had an opportunity to play around with a Focus S at the AT&T store (they don't have any Titan's in) and thought it felt solid in my hand. The feather weight was awesome, but I can see how it might seem cheap to others. I turned off the auto dim and the screen looked great when comparing it to my 3gs. I could cradle and swipe/control the phone easily with one hand. I did accidently activate the camera 3 times while playing with the phone for 30 mins. It was annoying and just another thing to put on the cons list along with the audio pop, paint rubbing off with use, blue tint on the screen, etc. Also, is there a burst shot and panorama mode for the Focus S's camera that's found on the Titan? I use the camera a lot and pic quality and camera options are 2 main deciding factors for me.

I'm really hoping the Titan's are in today. I've read all the reviews and the screen/resolution doesn't seem to be a problem except on websites, but I would like to witness it in person. The size is another concern as I'm typically a one-handed operator and don't want to "teach" myself to use both hands. The Titan's camera seems to be better based on the reviews and it also has burst shot and panorama mode, which is a HUGE plus for me. Hopefully the store will have some in stock today...

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know, the so-called typing lag goes away when you turn off the key press sounds.

It didn't for me on both units I tried (unplugged). I think it masks it & its more or less a kind of band aid. Obviously if the sound isn't there, its not gonna be as noticeable.

But what I experienced is a real lag, not a sound lag. The letters themselves popup sort of randomly & don't keep up with my thumbs. No, I'm not a speed typer. This is just normal everyday typing.

Its hard to explain. All I can say is that the typing is not nearly as good as it is on the Flash or my old Focus. So there's something going on with the S for sure.

Besides, even IF it was only a sound lag & I could turn down the volume, I shouldn't have to do that on a brand new phone that I'm shelling out big bucks for (off contract). Plus, I like that WP typing sound! :)

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Oddly enough I did not notice any typing lag on the Focus S for the two days I had it. I do not type slowly either. I only had the audio pop issue. I wonder if it is somehow related to holding the phone.

Sent from my T9295 using Board Express

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I had an opportunity to play around with a Focus S at the AT&T store (they don't have any Titan's in) and thought it felt solid in my hand. The feather weight was awesome, but I can see how it might seem cheap to others. I turned off the auto dim and the screen looked great when comparing it to my 3gs. I could cradle and swipe/control the phone easily with one hand. I did accidently activate the camera 3 times while playing with the phone for 30 mins. It was annoying and just another thing to put on the cons list along with the audio pop, paint rubbing off with use, blue tint on the screen, etc. Also, is there a burst shot and panorama mode for the Focus S's camera that's found on the Titan? I use the camera a lot and pic quality and camera options are 2 main deciding factors for me.

I'm really hoping the Titan's are in today. I've read all the reviews and the screen/resolution doesn't seem to be a problem except on websites, but I would like to witness it in person. The size is another concern as I'm typically a one-handed operator and don't want to "teach" myself to use both hands. The Titan's camera seems to be better based on the reviews and it also has burst shot and panorama mode, which is a HUGE plus for me. Hopefully the store will have some in stock today...
There's no burst mode, panorama, or face detection on the Samsung focus s, only on the new HTC devices. Camera quality on a phone is really important to me too, and I have used 3 HTC devices in the past, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Diamond2, and currently using the HTC Surround. I have to say, the camera quality on the Surround has made me decide that I won't be using a HTC device anymore, or at least anytime soon. The noise compression is driving me nuts. This doesn't seem as big of a problem anymore on the Titan, but I saw some pictures taken by the Titan on Flickr and the problem is definitely still there. I've read online that a lot of users say HTC cameras have great details, but for me, its a little too much. it adds a painting effect on my photos, and I've been really disappointed with my Surround.
I have a cat and I always take pics of her.
Here is a great example of the noise compression problem:
http://i.imgur.com/kADrJ.jpg
This is just really unacceptable for me :[

I have some comparison shots from my Surround and my brother's Focus
i kno its not from the Titan to the Focus S, but just to get an idea on the noise compression issues on the HTC devices I've seen. Not just wp7s but also on android devices, so I suppose its not a wp7 software issue, I can tell if my friends on Facebook are using a HTC device or not.
my friend uploaded a pic via his mobile and i immediately thought the pic was taken on a HTC, and i was right, he was using a EVO.

Surround: http://i.imgur.com/Vroaf.jpg
Focus: http://i.imgur.com/ug4AY.jpg

Surround: http://i.imgur.com/nHIyQ.jpg
Focus: http://i.imgur.com/tkrP7.jpg

I played with the Focus S in different AT&T Stores, i didn't notice the keyboard sound lag the first time, but the 2nd time is definitely there, but if i mute it, i wouldn't even notice it.
Besides the camera quality, 4.7" is a little too big for my small hands :] it does look good tho. If only the camera was better, it would've been a much tougher choice for me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb