Region Troubles

CAVX

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
(EDIT: Looks like I'm selling this one.)

I won a Titan a few weeks ago at the Inner Circle event in Denver.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's a UK phone. Even the power adapter included is for a European outlet. This means that the region settings on the phone are all UK. I have no idea why they'd give out a UK phone at an event in the middle of the US, but it probably is partially because it wasn't released over here at the time (which was also part of its allure and why I picked it as my prize over the Focus S).

Even more strange is that even though there's an "English (US)" setting under region, there's no discernible difference when I restart the phone to save the settings. Favorites is still "Favourites", colors is "colours", etc. What's worse is that voice dictation, for example, will spell the words using UK English and it doesn't understand my voice as well.

I'm fairly sure that US features won't be missing for the phone, as I have a US-based WLID and Zune account (though confirmation would be nice). I just wish I could figure out a solution or be told conclusively that there isn't one.

Does anyone have any insight about this? Loving the phone so far, but I can't make the commitment to switch to it yet due to these issues. I've contacted Microsoft and HTC about this, but haven't gotten more than confusion or promises to look into it (from a week or two ago).

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have an unbranded/unlocked GSM Trophy from Germany..

The voice commands commands work for me. I responded a couple of times to SMS with voice and it's normally correct. Once in a while it uses the wrong words but we have a lot of homophone words.

I haven't noticed British spelling yet, but I'll watch for it.

CAVX

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I have an unbranded/unlocked GSM Trophy from Germany..

The voice commands commands work for me. I responded a couple of times to SMS with voice and it's normally correct. Once in a while it uses the wrong words but we have a lot of homophone words.

I haven't noticed British spelling yet, but I'll watch for it.
The dictation works, and the spelling isn't the end of the world, but it's there for me. I tried "What color is it?" and the text "What colour is it?" was the result.

It understands me less, though, when I try other commands. I can't for the life of me get it to text someone with just my voice. I try saying "text ____" and no matter how hard I try, it just says "Please say 'text' followed by a contact name." I even tried speaking with my best version of a British accent. That kind of thing makes me worried that the inability to change region settings will make the phone less usable. I use voice commands a lot while driving.

EDIT - well, just realized the "contact name" message was showing up because there was no phone number associated with those contacts. Oops! It still does have a pretty hard time recognizing my commands, though.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire