05-20-2012 12:10 PM
49 12
tools
    Took my new Titan to the grocery store. There were times in the past when my (very) old Blackberry 8700 couldn't get a signal when in the store, but for the last two years, I've always been able to squeeze out at least 1 bar of signal. The Titan had no signal, even when I moved to the front of the store, by the window. This is yet another reception-based disappointment I've had with AT&T / Titan.
    12-04-2011 06:17 PM
    Let us know what you discover.
    I've now had the phone for a few days. I've only tried it uncased for a few hours, but I noticed no difference in signal. I had a new sim put in and that didn't help at first. Now after a few days I actually keep a signal most places. I really think it refreshes really slow when it picks up or looses bars. The only sucky thing about that is when it shows no signal and won't let me call out. It's not quite as good as my old Blackberry, but neither is the wife's focus s. My only major gripes so far is the abysmal battery life and half the calls I make the people say I sound muffled or as if I'm talking in a hallway. Taking the case off doesn't help that either. I'm up in the air between asking for a replacement or just switching to the Focus S since the poor call quality is a deal breaker.
    Last edited by chuchnit; 12-04-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    12-04-2011 09:30 PM
    I've now had the phone for a few days. I've only tried it uncased for a few hours, but I noticed no difference in signal. I had a new sim put in and that didn't help at first. Now after a few days I actually keep a signal most places. I really think it refreshes really slow when it picks up or looses bars. The only sucky thing about that is when it shows no signal and won't let me call out. It's not quite as good as my old Blackberry, but neither is the wife's focus s. My only major gripes so far is the abysmal battery life and half the calls I make the people say I sound muffled or as if I'm talking in a hallway. Taking the case off doesn't help that either. I'm up in the air between asking for a replacement or just switching to the Focus S since the poor call quality is a deal breaker.

yes I use my phone for business as well as pleasure and can not afford to have my clients annoyed because I sound like I am muffled. I did tests with my Titan and Focus S and the call quality, while far from perfect on FS was still brighter and clearer in almost every instance. Shame because I was just starting to LOVE the titan otherwise.

the tactile and visual feedback cues, the beautiful screen the solid feel, excellent camera and panna mode. oh well
    12-05-2011 12:39 PM
    Every phone sucks reception-wise at my house. Any guest I have can't get reception downstairs. Or if they do, it's 1 bar. And it's not consistent. I live in a small valley surrounded by mountains.

My Titan pretty much gets 0 bars the whole time I'm downstairs. My Focus used to flutter in and out between 0 and 1.

My wife's previous Nokia feature phone had near full bars all the time.
    12-05-2011 01:13 PM
    yes I use my phone for business as well as pleasure and can not afford to have my clients annoyed because I sound like I am muffled. I did tests with my Titan and Focus S and the call quality, while far from perfect on FS was still brighter and clearer in almost every instance. Shame because I was just starting to LOVE the titan otherwise.

the tactile and visual feedback cues, the beautiful screen the solid feel, excellent camera and panna mode. oh well
    I'm so torn on taking this thing back for the focus s. The last couple days it started picking up signal all of the sudden. It's not quite as strong in my little town as my old blackberry, but it is way better than the first couple days. I have no idea why it started getting better all the sudden?

I took the case off for most of the day yesterday and everyone said my call quality was way more clear.
    12-06-2011 06:30 AM
    I've got the HTC trophy and reception is poor on this phone. I was hoping it was just the trophy but it looks like the titan has the same problems. It sure takes the gloss off of an otherwise impressive phone.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express
    12-06-2011 06:51 AM
    First off, let me say I love this phone. Well designed, Windows Phone is fantastic, etc.

I work in downtown Los Angeles. I was on Sprint until I just switched to AT&T and the Titan. Sitting in my office Sprint's 3G service was terrible, almost non-existent. But I could switch to 4G on my Evo and consistently get 5Mbps+.

In this same office on AT&T I get...wait for it...wait for it...I'm still waiting. I get nothing. I can make calls just fine, but the data speed is so terrible that it's rare that a data request doesn't time out. I get spurts of signal here and there, but it rarely goes above 1 bar. Even at 1 bar I get no data throughput.

So I go outside and get signal, just 50 feet away from where I get nothing in my office, sitting next to a big *** window. Walk to the other side of the building. Nothing. The other side. Nothing. Walk outside...signal.

Then I go to lunch today. Walking through the area I was getting signal before...I get nothing. Walking...nothing. Sit down at a sidewalk cafe, near the window. Nothing.

Apparently AT&T's HSPA network is incapable of penetrating glass or going around corners. I hope their engineers got a bonus for coming up with such cool technology.

All kidding aside, I don't know if it's AT&T or the Titan. AT&T claims they are working with HTC to resolve the issue, but I'm sure that's one of their many canned responses.

At home, 27 miles north of downtown LA, I get 2-4Mbps. It's not 4G by any stretch of the imagination, but at least I'm able to use the phone.

What really sucks is that there is just enough "4g" signal that the phone won't drop down to Edge. I've seen it drop down to Edge a couple of times, but it was just for a second or two.

Effectively for half my day I'm unable to use my data plan. Very sad. I hope a resolution is in the works, otherwise I'm just going to have to keep screaming at AT&T until they...well...until they keep ignoring me.
    12-06-2011 05:32 PM
    all these signal and data speed comments on the boards has me worried. i get my phone tomorrow, but this signal/data issue needs to be addressed by AT&T and HTC.

could it be the aluminum shell?
    12-06-2011 08:02 PM
    What really sucks is that there is just enough "4g" signal that the phone won't drop down to Edge. I've seen it drop down to Edge a couple of times, but it was just for a second or two.

Effectively for half my day I'm unable to use my data plan. Very sad. I hope a resolution is in the works, otherwise I'm just going to have to keep screaming at AT&T until they...well...until they keep ignoring me.
    I have the exact same issue where I work in Boston. I called AT&T and they said that I have just enough of a 4G signal that the phone won't drop down. Unfortunately that just enough signal prevents me from using anything data related!!!!!
    12-07-2011 06:21 AM
    I have the exact same issue where I work in Boston. I called AT&T and they said that I have just enough of a 4G signal that the phone won't drop down. Unfortunately that just enough signal prevents me from using anything data related!!!!!
    I think the dropping down part could be solved with a software update. At this point I'd be ecstatic with Edge. At least I'd be able to use the "smart" part of my smartphone.
    12-07-2011 03:56 PM
    Had a signal issue last night. Was in a bar and my friend with a 4S had signal with 3 bars. Had conversation with his SO. I could not get a connection on my Titan. It showed the same connection as the 4S of 3 bars. If the phone can not connect for voice, the symbol needs to indicate that. Ridiculous that I was walking around in the bar trying to get my 3 bars of signal to actually make a phone call. When I did connect I got some weird continuous "brrrrraaaeeeerrrrpppp" sound. Restarted the device and it worked on my next try.
    12-08-2011 10:04 AM
    I think the dropping down part could be solved with a software update. At this point I'd be ecstatic with Edge. At least I'd be able to use the "smart" part of my smartphone.
    I think the Titan is going back tomorrow as that is the finally day of my 30 day window to cancel service (I originally had the Focus S but returned that because of signal issues too) Waiting for an update that may never come is too risky.

I simply LOVE the OS and the Titan but this really crappy signal from ATT it is killing the whole experience. Last night I couldnt even succesfully connect a phone call and this is at home where I usually have pretty good reception. I rebooted the phone and then was able to make a call but that is just unacceptable to not know whether or not when your phone rings if you can actually talk to the person without first rebooting. Plus, I just found out that ATT doesnt support visual voicemail for Windows Phone.

This is indeed a sad for me.
    12-08-2011 10:38 AM
    im still using a focus and this is the first phone ive had that didnt drop calls. phones ive used: iphone (original,3, and 4), htc inspire (2 of them), and atrix (4 of them)
    12-08-2011 11:40 AM
    Does anybody have these signal issues with other carriers in other countries or It's just AT&T?
    12-08-2011 12:38 PM
    Does anybody have these signal issues with other carriers in other countries or It's just AT&T?
    Don't know if it's of any help cyrus_the_great, but my Titan shows exactly the same signal strength as my Omnia 7 did.

Works great.
    cyrus_the_great likes this.
    12-08-2011 12:41 PM
    Don't know if it's of any help cyrus_the_great, but my Titan shows exactly the same signal strength as my Omnia 7 did.

Works great.
    What kind of network are you on? hdma+?

If so, I don't suppose you could run Bandwidth and see what kind of numbers you're pulling?
    12-08-2011 01:58 PM
    No 4G here Winning Guy just 3.5G
    12-08-2011 02:02 PM
    Download Speed 3.25 Mbps
    Upload Speed 0.41 Mbps

That's with the Bandwidth App
    12-08-2011 02:10 PM
    That's about the same as our pretend 4G here.
    12-08-2011 02:33 PM
    Ah well, that's the best I can manage here Winning Guy I'm afraid. :D
    12-08-2011 02:38 PM
    my HTC Titan reception is pretty crappy. Friday night, I was in a low-signal area and had no bars, but my wife's Samsung Focus (1st gen) had 1-2 bars.

On my way home from work, I get into a 3-5 mile area where I can't talk on the phone now. I used to have this problem with my iPhone 3GS, and then AT&T did something and it got better, so much so, that I could usually keep a call going the whole trip home. Now, I don't even bother. My phone is in a rubberized-gel case, but the case doesn't affect the signal. Also, the phone doesn't have to be held to have the signal drops.

I also hear complaints of people I'm talking to not being able to hear me. I'm wondering if the noise-canceling on the mics is affecting the call quality.

Otherwise, I love the Titan.
    12-13-2011 09:25 PM
    I've also noticed my signal sometimes goes down to 2bars. My old. Focus had way better signal but I have not experienced any connection drops or no signal. However I'm pretty sure the Titan just has poor reception in comparison to most phones.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
    12-15-2011 09:38 PM
    I unlocked HTC AT&T Titan phone and using in India. The service provider is BSNL. We don't have 4G, but 3G and Edge is available.

My old Nokia phone shows full signal, however the new HTC Titan phone displays between 1 and 3 bars, frequent call drops. The bars change every second, too much of fluctuation.

Even if there are 5 bars, the other person complains of voice break.

I don't know whether it is Windows 7.5 OS problem or HTC Titan phone problem. Anyway I lost nearly $300 :(

I thought new phone will be better, I started searching for a solution and I landed up in this forum. Just wanted to share with others.
    05-16-2012 02:05 AM
    I have a bad signal where I live so I've been turning the connection speed to Edge, even then I don't get as good a signal as with my old Touch Pro 2; disappointing really. Now they have the Titan II out I can't imagine any further (significant) updates happening for the phone.
    05-20-2012 12:10 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD