Signal Issues?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I was lucky enough to score 2 Titans at 2 seperate locations in 2 days in my area. Now, while the device is one sweet machine, I'm fearful of a signal problem?

Does anyone else who has been lucky enough to score the device notice a drop in signal (even when NOT holding the phone?). My friend, who I just got switched over to my account with one of the Titans, is at work and says that there is practically zero signal and does cut out completely. I drove out there and tested it outside and, sure enough, was only getting 2 bars. My brother, who has an iPhone, was kind enough to even check it out. Full bars, no issues. Heck, even at my house I'm only seeing 3 bars where as with the Focus S I had 5.

I did email HTC and am just waiting now. Want to see if anyone else notices anything...

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Seems decent for data speeds, yes. 186MS Latency, 2.08Mmbs down, 1.05Mbps up. However, if my friend is losing signal in an area that has solid coverage on every other device, that's my concern. I'll run more tests tomorrow if I can at his work 'just to see' and have my brother do the same with his iPhone.

Edit. Original test there was at three bars. When I held the phone at the bottom (deathgrip if you will) it dropped to a single bar. 154ms Latency, 1.05Mbps down, 0.35Mbps up. Same server tested.

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I brought up signal bar accuracy because I remember it coming up a few time at Treo Central with different Treo models.

For instance, my house has one bad reception spot. It's the bedroom on the east side. When we call people from the east bedroom, they always say we're breaking up no matter which phone we use. My Treo Pro always gave 1 to 2 bars in east bedroom, my Nokia N8 gives 4 bars, and my HTC Trophy gives 3 bars, but the reception is the same, we are always told we are breaking up.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Seems decent for data speeds, yes. 186MS Latency, 2.08Mmbs down, 1.05Mbps up. However, if my friend is losing signal in an area that has solid coverage on every other device, that's my concern. I'll run more tests tomorrow if I can at his work 'just to see' and have my brother do the same with his iPhone.

Edit. Original test there was at three bars. When I held the phone at the bottom (deathgrip if you will) it dropped to a single bar. 154ms Latency, 1.05Mbps down, 0.35Mbps up. Same server tested.

That's probably where the antenna is.

Last edited:

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
That's probably were the antenna is.
Yeah. It is. There are two areas where 4 metal 'prongs' come in to contact with parts of the case. Take the case off, you lose all signal basically.

I'll have my brother meet me tomorrow with his iPhone at my friends work to compare signal marks and speeds.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I just exchanged my focus s for the Titan last night because I was getting horrible signal strength with the focus s at work compared to my iPhone 4. I will check out the Titan out today when I go to work. I have great signal at home but if I do hold it in the death grip my bars drop from 5 to 3.

When u say take the case off do you mean a case u put on or slide the case of the phone off?

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I just exchanged my focus s for the Titan last night because I was getting horrible signal strength with the focus s at work compared to my iPhone 4. I will check out the Titan out today when I go to work. I have great signal at home but if I do hold it in the death grip my bars drop from 5 to 3.

When u say take the case off do you mean a case u put on or slide the case of the phone off?
Ah man. Whoops. When I said case, I meant the battery cover. I want to get a case for it but no one has any around here yet.

tehdef

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I also picked up a Titan yesterday. I went into a WalMart near the ATT store and lost ALL signal and the phone would go to emergency only. I would go outside and restart the phone and it would be fine. I'm curious since the phone doesn't come assembled and art screws with everything if they didn't mess up the antenna somehow. WiFi works fine. At home I have one to four bars, never five. If signal doesn't improve att is gonna have an issue, since I had to manually order this.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Ah man. Whoops. When I said case, I meant the battery cover. I want to get a case for it but no one has any around here yet.

No problem, I was hoping you meant case because I wanted to know where you found one :)

As for the signal, it isnt looking so great here. I am in Boston and have only two bars while my iphone 4 has four bars. I place a call to my wife at home from both phones and she said she couldnt tell a difference except for she thinks the Titan was louder.

Death grip brings my signal on the Titan down to 1 bar but I didnt drop the call.

The internet speeds seems just about even with full versions of websites loading just a tiny bit faster on the iphone 4.

I must also mention that it is a really carppy day weather wise in Boston today so that may or may not be impacting this.

I return my Focus S because of signal issues so I am kind of stuck with the Titan now so I really hope this doesnt end up being a show stopper.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I also picked up a Titan yesterday. I went into a WalMart near the ATT store and lost ALL signal and the phone would go to emergency only. I would go outside and restart the phone and it would be fine. I'm curious since the phone doesn't come assembled and art screws with everything if they didn't mess up the antenna somehow. WiFi works fine. At home I have one to four bars, never five. If signal doesn't improve att is gonna have an issue, since I had to manually order this.

Is it safe to assume that the Walmart would normally be a decent service area for you? What you describe is exactly what is happening to my friend.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Signal not looking awesome for me either (in RI). Speeds aren't awesome either, but I haven't tried it in a ton of places yet to really see how it behaves.

jonsmith89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Can you still talk and use data? This is starting to sound similar to the iPhone 4's antennae-gate. People reported drop bars but they still had plenty of actual service. The iPhone was actually telling people they had more bars than they really did, so they weren't actually losing bars; they never had those bars to begin with. Apple fixed it with an update, I think. Might be a similar issue.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you still talk and use data? This is starting to sound similar to the iPhone 4's antennae-gate. People reported drop bars but they still had plenty of actual service. The iPhone was actually telling people they had more bars than they really did, so they weren't actually losing bars; they never had those bars to begin with. Apple fixed it with an update, I think. Might be a similar issue.

I do agree that it is starting to sound like the iPhone 'antennae-gate', but the difference here is that, at least a couple of us, are actually reporting losing signal in places we really shouldn't be. I did run tests and 'death-gripped' the phone and noted lower speeds during a death-grip, which should be true and was.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
No problem, I was hoping you meant case because I wanted to know where you found one :)

I wish I COULD find a case to see if that helps like it did with the iPhone 4. Given the scarce nature of the device though, I don't think we should hold our breaths. Heck, I bought the only two phones from 2 different stores. They told me if I hadn't called, they would be floor models now.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've done some pretty legit days long testing of this issue using my girlfriends ip4 next to my titan both on att.

In high signal areas 3-5 bars, they seem to show the same strength. But when I was in a low signal area (a book store in los angeles), she was able to retain 2 bars and actually make a call whereas my titan had the no service icon and would not even allow a text out.

Something is definitely up, at least in my case.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, I've noticed this too. I've been having serious signal issues, going down as low as 1 bar from 3-4 bars. My Samsung Focus would usually have 5 bars, and maybe drop to 3-4 in the same areas, but never enough to have calls start breaking up.

This is really disappointing, and enough for me to consider swapping for a different phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If this happens with the Titan I ordered, I may end up keeping my Focus as my daily phone and use the new Titan just for games and stuff.

I live between mountains. My reception is bad already with my Focus. Downstairs I often can't get any signal. I have to go upstairs to get one bar. The same with my sister's iPhone4. So I am preparing to get no signal at all with the Titan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte