Signal Issues?

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ran a few tests comparing the Samsung Focus to the HTC Titan. Holding the phone (normally, not with an intentional death grip), drops about 2-3 bars on the Titan, whereas the Focus doesn't even drop a bar. Performance wise, I ran a few speedtests with the two phones. The Focus maintained the same transfer rates being held and lying on a desk. The Titan, lost about 60% of it's speed while being held...

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone found a case and tried to see if this helped with their signal dropping or not? I haven't been able to find one around town yet and wanted to see if that ultimately helped, much like it did with the iPhone 4 back at release.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I notice bars dropping when I grip the phone too. And I already live in a crappy reception area. So this is not good. I may need to end up picking up a microcell.

chuchnit

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I live in a crappy signal area myself. I just got the phone today along with the case-mate tough case. I'm not all that impressed with the signal so far, but the area is so spotty it could have been to abnormal call traffic today too. I plan on comparing signal strength to the wife's Focus S and cased vs naked to see if I'm keeping this phone. There isn't enough signal in this area to have a weak phone.

Billone

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Took my new Titan to the grocery store. There were times in the past when my (very) old Blackberry 8700 couldn't get a signal when in the store, but for the last two years, I've always been able to squeeze out at least 1 bar of signal. The Titan had no signal, even when I moved to the front of the store, by the window. This is yet another reception-based disappointment I've had with AT&T / Titan.

chuchnit

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Let us know what you discover.

I've now had the phone for a few days. I've only tried it uncased for a few hours, but I noticed no difference in signal. I had a new sim put in and that didn't help at first. Now after a few days I actually keep a signal most places. I really think it refreshes really slow when it picks up or looses bars. The only sucky thing about that is when it shows no signal and won't let me call out. It's not quite as good as my old Blackberry, but neither is the wife's focus s. My only major gripes so far is the abysmal battery life and half the calls I make the people say I sound muffled or as if I'm talking in a hallway. Taking the case off doesn't help that either. I'm up in the air between asking for a replacement or just switching to the Focus S since the poor call quality is a deal breaker.

Last edited:

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I've now had the phone for a few days. I've only tried it uncased for a few hours, but I noticed no difference in signal. I had a new sim put in and that didn't help at first. Now after a few days I actually keep a signal most places. I really think it refreshes really slow when it picks up or looses bars. The only sucky thing about that is when it shows no signal and won't let me call out. It's not quite as good as my old Blackberry, but neither is the wife's focus s. My only major gripes so far is the abysmal battery life and half the calls I make the people say I sound muffled or as if I'm talking in a hallway. Taking the case off doesn't help that either. I'm up in the air between asking for a replacement or just switching to the Focus S since the poor call quality is a deal breaker.

yes I use my phone for business as well as pleasure and can not afford to have my clients annoyed because I sound like I am muffled. I did tests with my Titan and Focus S and the call quality, while far from perfect on FS was still brighter and clearer in almost every instance. Shame because I was just starting to LOVE the titan otherwise.

the tactile and visual feedback cues, the beautiful screen the solid feel, excellent camera and panna mode. oh well

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Every phone sucks reception-wise at my house. Any guest I have can't get reception downstairs. Or if they do, it's 1 bar. And it's not consistent. I live in a small valley surrounded by mountains.

My Titan pretty much gets 0 bars the whole time I'm downstairs. My Focus used to flutter in and out between 0 and 1.

My wife's previous Nokia feature phone had near full bars all the time.

chuchnit

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
yes I use my phone for business as well as pleasure and can not afford to have my clients annoyed because I sound like I am muffled. I did tests with my Titan and Focus S and the call quality, while far from perfect on FS was still brighter and clearer in almost every instance. Shame because I was just starting to LOVE the titan otherwise.

the tactile and visual feedback cues, the beautiful screen the solid feel, excellent camera and panna mode. oh well

I'm so torn on taking this thing back for the focus s. The last couple days it started picking up signal all of the sudden. It's not quite as strong in my little town as my old blackberry, but it is way better than the first couple days. I have no idea why it started getting better all the sudden?

I took the case off for most of the day yesterday and everyone said my call quality was way more clear.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've got the HTC trophy and reception is poor on this phone. I was hoping it was just the trophy but it looks like the titan has the same problems. It sure takes the gloss off of an otherwise impressive phone.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Terrible signal...

First off, let me say I love this phone. Well designed, Windows Phone is fantastic, etc.

I work in downtown Los Angeles. I was on Sprint until I just switched to AT&T and the Titan. Sitting in my office Sprint's 3G service was terrible, almost non-existent. But I could switch to 4G on my Evo and consistently get 5Mbps+.

In this same office on AT&T I get...wait for it...wait for it...I'm still waiting. I get nothing. I can make calls just fine, but the data speed is so terrible that it's rare that a data request doesn't time out. I get spurts of signal here and there, but it rarely goes above 1 bar. Even at 1 bar I get no data throughput.

So I go outside and get signal, just 50 feet away from where I get nothing in my office, sitting next to a big *** window. Walk to the other side of the building. Nothing. The other side. Nothing. Walk outside...signal.

Then I go to lunch today. Walking through the area I was getting signal before...I get nothing. Walking...nothing. Sit down at a sidewalk cafe, near the window. Nothing.

Apparently AT&T's HSPA network is incapable of penetrating glass or going around corners. I hope their engineers got a bonus for coming up with such cool technology.

All kidding aside, I don't know if it's AT&T or the Titan. AT&T claims they are working with HTC to resolve the issue, but I'm sure that's one of their many canned responses.

At home, 27 miles north of downtown LA, I get 2-4Mbps. It's not 4G by any stretch of the imagination, but at least I'm able to use the phone.

What really sucks is that there is just enough "4g" signal that the phone won't drop down to Edge. I've seen it drop down to Edge a couple of times, but it was just for a second or two.

Effectively for half my day I'm unable to use my data plan. Very sad. I hope a resolution is in the works, otherwise I'm just going to have to keep screaming at AT&T until they...well...until they keep ignoring me.

thodge84

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
all these signal and data speed comments on the boards has me worried. i get my phone tomorrow, but this signal/data issue needs to be addressed by AT&T and HTC.

could it be the aluminum shell?

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
What really sucks is that there is just enough "4g" signal that the phone won't drop down to Edge. I've seen it drop down to Edge a couple of times, but it was just for a second or two.

Effectively for half my day I'm unable to use my data plan. Very sad. I hope a resolution is in the works, otherwise I'm just going to have to keep screaming at AT&T until they...well...until they keep ignoring me.

I have the exact same issue where I work in Boston. I called AT&T and they said that I have just enough of a 4G signal that the phone won't drop down. Unfortunately that just enough signal prevents me from using anything data related!!!!!

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue where I work in Boston. I called AT&T and they said that I have just enough of a 4G signal that the phone won't drop down. Unfortunately that just enough signal prevents me from using anything data related!!!!!

I think the dropping down part could be solved with a software update. At this point I'd be ecstatic with Edge. At least I'd be able to use the "smart" part of my smartphone.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Had a signal issue last night. Was in a bar and my friend with a 4S had signal with 3 bars. Had conversation with his SO. I could not get a connection on my Titan. It showed the same connection as the 4S of 3 bars. If the phone can not connect for voice, the symbol needs to indicate that. Ridiculous that I was walking around in the bar trying to get my 3 bars of signal to actually make a phone call. When I did connect I got some weird continuous "brrrrraaaeeeerrrrpppp" sound. Restarted the device and it worked on my next try.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the dropping down part could be solved with a software update. At this point I'd be ecstatic with Edge. At least I'd be able to use the "smart" part of my smartphone.

I think the Titan is going back tomorrow as that is the finally day of my 30 day window to cancel service (I originally had the Focus S but returned that because of signal issues too) Waiting for an update that may never come is too risky.

I simply LOVE the OS and the Titan but this really crappy signal from ATT it is killing the whole experience. Last night I couldnt even succesfully connect a phone call and this is at home where I usually have pretty good reception. I rebooted the phone and then was able to make a call but that is just unacceptable to not know whether or not when your phone rings if you can actually talk to the person without first rebooting. Plus, I just found out that ATT doesnt support visual voicemail for Windows Phone.

This is indeed a sad for me.

velvetelvis

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
im still using a focus and this is the first phone ive had that didnt drop calls. phones ive used: iphone (original,3, and 4), htc inspire (2 of them), and atrix (4 of them)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte